News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Metroid is Dead.

Started by Jono2, January 17, 2009, 04:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatnik

Solitude and exploration are what made Metroid great. MP3 had neither.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Nayrman

Quote from: Beatnik on February 14, 2009, 02:08:46 PM
god that voice acting was terrible. The only character being even remotely close to interesting was Rundus, but even he was a shallow Master Chief with ice clone X_X;;

X-3

Quote from: Nayrman on February 14, 2009, 02:09:52 PM
Quote from: Beatnik on February 14, 2009, 02:08:46 PM
god that voice acting was terrible. The only character being even remotely close to interesting was Rundus, but even he was a shallow Master Chief with ice clone X_X;;

Rundas is said to be an arrogant hunter who prefers to work alone. I don't know much about MC, to be honest, but I don't think Rundas is much of a clone of him.

I wish they had you fight him last, but eh.

Jono2

difficulty is also a hallmark of the metroid series.  MP3 was incredibly easy in comparison to it's predecessors.  I went through the game with the 1 forced energy tank, and minimal items, while SKIPPING THE HAZARD SUIT, and it was STILL much easier than Metroid Prime 2's hard mode under normal circumstances.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Rayquarian

Quote from: Jono2 on February 14, 2009, 12:45:27 AM
Quote from: Zero on February 13, 2009, 09:29:44 PM
I actually just got Prime 3 and I'm pretty satisfied so far. I honestly don't see what all the b****ing is about when it comes to this game.

Oh, it's a good game, but it's not a metroid game in the classical sense.

Metroid (original) is free-roam.  You get lost, you die.  that's it.
Metroid 2 (Return of Samus) is less free-roam, but in a good way.  Harder to get lost, but still free-roam.
Metroid 3 (Super Metroid) is the epitome of free-roam.  You can go wherever you want, but the game is programmed well enough that as long as you know what you're doing, there will almost never be a situation that you can't get yourself out of.
Metroid Prime - The first 3D entry.  Less free roam due to the restrictions of 3D, but as good as it gets for 3D.
Metroid Fusion - Completely linear, not in the metroid spirit at all.  The game tells you where to go, and any attempt at going somewhere else results in failure.
Metroid Zero Mission - Free-roam, but not in a good sense.  Sequence-Breaking is supposed to be about breaking the sequence, not an alternate path, which is what MZM did.  Although fun, it is not true free-roam in the metroid sense.
Metroid Prime Hunters - Single player sucked.  Don't even bother.
Metroid Prime 2 - The second real 3D entry.  Less free roam than Metroid Prime.  Are restricted to only going to certain areas for most of the game, limiting light/dark portals system, dark world discourages exploration by punishing you for doing so (damage when outside of the light).
Metroid Prime 3 - The third real 3D entry.  No free roam, always told where you have to go, very action-based.  Although a good game in itself, a shadow of the peak of the series, Super metroid.
Having only played Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime Hunters, and Metroid Prime 3, I guess I have yet to experience real free-roaming in Metroid games.