News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Languages

Started by Macawmoses, April 19, 2010, 12:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

So, what languages, besides English, do you speak? Personally, I can speak French (although my writing of it is down right atrocious). I find that I can say a ton of stuff of the top of my head, but if I'm forced to write...I suck. I can understand waaaaaaaaay more than I can actually speak, too.

It's my goal to learn Russian in the following year, and to work on French. Furthermore, I'd like to become a signer down the road. Are there any languages you'd like to speak? Why?

Irene Adler

Already mostly bilingual in English and Japanese, though a bit rusty in the later from lack of use.  Hopefully I can learn korean eventually as well.

Edit: As for why, I don't really know, other than for practical reasons for the first.

Aka Princess_Peach_and_Vivian/Florina/Pavie

JrDude

I can speak English very well, but not as well as you would normally expect.

I used to be able to speak Spanish almost fluently, but it went away after going to a school that taught no spanish whatsoever, now I can speak it pretty well but nowhere near fluently, I can understand more than I speak, but I still understand very little.
[move][/move]
Dude .

PsychoYoshi

English is my native language. I'm an advanced beginner in Japanese, and I will eventually need to reach near-native level so that I can translate documents in and out of the language. My skills are quickly degrading now that I'm out of college and will be working for a year.

I also took German for 4 years in HS and one in college. If you want an easy FL, German is it.

Turok

I took Spanish all through Jr. High & High School, I speak it decent, understand it well, & can read it more easily than English sometimes. I dunno how that works, but there you go.

Although now that I'm not using it every day, I'm forgetting it by the bucketful.

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]

Magnum

I want to learn multiple languages. Right now I'm working on Spanish, but I want to learn Chinese, Japanese, and Russian.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Dog Food

Five years of Spanish. I can read and write it well, speaking it and listening to it takes a lot more work. I also can speak and write a little bit of Arabic. Not a lot, just swears and common words like, "How are you?", "Shut up", "Come on", "Let's go", "Stop" etc. And I can only write numbers and my name.

I might have been more fluent in Arabic and French had my father taught me when I was little. But no, he didn't want to screw up me learning English. Oh well, that's life...
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Thirdkoopa

I know some portugese but I only took it because I had it required. May learn French or Spanish for my senior year.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

MoS

Took French for 6 years, when i go back to college this fall I'm gonna take French again. I can speak and write it pretty well, and reading it isn't a problem, but I have trouble understanding what an actual french person says, because of slang and their accent and when they start speaking quickly I just get lost lol.

DSGamer3002

Learned Hebrew in 1st grade, was taught it through 6th grade, then forgot it all freshman year of high school when I started taking French. 3 years of French so far and although I'm not really fluent in it, I'm pretty good at it and easily understand conjugations and stuff.

Why'd I take French? Because I refuse to learn Spanish and my school didn't offer Italian. Latin's boring.

ThePowerOfOne

English, of course, is my main. I speak fluently in Spanish and Italian. I learned Spanish in school, with the help of my cousin who learned it before me. And Italian is just from growing up around my dads side of the family, my step-dads mom also speaks very good Italian.

I also know a little bit of French and Japanese. I'm trying to work on those a bit now.

Mystic

Only what I've learned in Spanish I so far.

Potestas

My mother tongue is Dutch, naturally, but I am fluent in English as well. Other languages I know are Frisian, French and German and a little bit of Spanish and Japanese.

I can read Ancient Latin and a little bit of Ancient Greek.

Click the sig to level it up. Go to Ichimonai.com to learn more.

The Riddler

I took six or seven years worth of Italian and can only recall the days of the week, some colors, and numbers. It's pretty bad.
Other than that, I know maybe a handful of words in Spanish. Nothing in any other language that isn't from a song.

Allegretto

Japanese and I can speak some Latin.