News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Favorite Modern Cartoon

Started by Neerb, October 03, 2010, 10:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

We've devoted most of this board so far to bashing new cartoons and revering the old ones, but quite frankly there ARE still some good shows out there, and they deserve some credit for keeping animated television alive. So, which do you like?

My favorite cartoon hands-down is Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. I didn't think it possible, but they have not only made a GOOD Scooby-Doo cartoon, but an AMAZING one. Seriously, there is no aspect of this show I cannot praise: the animation is great (when you get used to the new art style), it's freaking hilarious in every single way, Patrick Warburton is the sheriff, it actually treats them like they're in high school this time, it has a great theme, it's constantly parodying the old Scooby cartoons (Fred's knack for traps is now an obsession) while also revering them (they meet the Hex Girls in one episode), and IT HAS A FREAKING CANON WITH EVERY EPISODE BEING A NUMBERED CHAPTER AND A GREATER STORY ARC BEING SLOWLY REVEALED. If you haven't seen this show yet, you must see it NOW.

Other shows I love include Phineas & Ferb (even though there's always a song), Adventure Time, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars (it's gotten way better since the pilot movie).

Macawmoses

Throwing this out there, you will all laugh, but I don't care.

Super Hero Squad Show. Ended up babysitting and watching it with these kids, and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Kiddy heroes like Wolverine, but with all the marvel content I've been longing for in a more mature show. Cameos galore from 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier characters, a great plot, and, it's gosh darn cute.

This is how you make cartoons.

Neerb

Quote from: Mace on October 03, 2010, 02:43:39 PM
Throwing this out there, you will all laugh, but I don't care.

Super Hero Squad Show. Ended up babysitting and watching it with these kids, and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Kiddy heroes like Wolverine, but with all the marvel content I've been longing for in a more mature show. Cameos galore from 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier characters, a great plot, and, it's gosh darn cute.

This is how you make cartoons.

That's what screws with my mind about that show. It's like, a parody that almost no one besides the most knowledgeable Marvel fans would get... and then it's aimed at 4 year olds. I don't really get what they were trying to do...

Homewrecker

UHHHHHHH

Jeez, I don't even know. Flapjack or Chowder, maybe?

Rayquarian

The Shaggy/Velma thing seems weird to me, though.  Guess because I grew up without that ever being an element.

Magnum

I can't think of anything I like at all.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Cornwad

Batman the Brave and the Bold. Aquaman has a beard in that show, and one time they fought Grod, Monsieur Mallah, and Gorilla Boss with the help of Detective Chimp. Also the musical episode. Good stuff.
Apparently they are doing a crossover with whatever Scooby Doo show is on now for old time's sake.

Neerb

Quote from: Cornwad on October 04, 2010, 08:26:00 PM
Batman the Brave and the Bold. Aquaman has a beard in that show, and one time they fought Grod, Monsieur Mallah, and Gorilla Boss with the help of Detective Chimp. Also the musical episode. Good stuff.
Apparently they are doing a crossover with whatever Scooby Doo show is on now for old time's sake.

Not exactly. They're gonna have a Batman episode that's divided into several minisodes (dream sequence or alternate universes, I think), and one will have Scooby-Doo as a send up to the old team up; not sure if they're actually gonna use Mystery Inc. or not.

SkyMyl

No mention of Avatar: The Last Airbender?

Neerb

Quote from: SkyMyl on October 05, 2010, 07:11:51 PM
No mention of Avatar: The Last Airbender?

When I said "modern," I was kinda implying shows that are still running, or at least shows that were still running in the past year. And I don't count Avatar: Legend of Korra, because that's not out yet.

Light

Cartoon Network is the only channel right now with an actually bearable schedule right now; Regular Show and Adventure Time are good but hit-and-miss, with Scooby Doo, Mystery Inc. being surprisingly good and Sym-Bionic Titan off to a strong start.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Mystic

What's New Scooby-Doo?

Not a big fan of Mystery Incorporated, it just feels awkward and not as funny as any of the previous shows. Though I do like the animation.

Custom

Regular Show is the greatest show on the intercourse ing planet and if you don't like it you can suck a dick.
Adventure Time is pretty awesome too.

and as much as I intercourse ing hate to agree with light Sym-Bionic Titan seems pretty good from the 1 episode i watched

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Macawmoses

Quote from: Neerb on October 03, 2010, 05:13:42 PM
That's what screws with my mind about that show. It's like, a parody that almost no one besides the most knowledgeable Marvel fans would get... and then it's aimed at 4 year olds. I don't really get what they were trying to do...
That's the point of it. They're trying to introduce the extended universe to the kids so, by the time their second tier characters get movies (this has been confirmed) they'll be begging to go to the theatre. Or, you know, just going.

Dr. Strange, in particular, is going to be important now, as it's the first film confirmed as Marvel/Disney.

Silverhawk79

Haters gonna hate, but Adventure Time, even if some episodes fall flat.