News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

The Official Instrument of Every Decade

Started by major tom, December 30, 2007, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

major tom

I've decided to make a list of the iconicly noticeable instruments of every decade starting with the 50's. I did this 'cuz I'm bored.

50's
The Hollow Bodied Electic Guitar- Look at all those fifties rockers like Chuck Berry. They all use hollow bodied electric guitars like the Gibson ES. Definitely a truly fifties instrument.
Double Bass- Although Leo Fender invented the bass guitar in '51, until the late 50's it wasn't a very common instrument in popular music. Early rock n' roll stars always had some guy playing one at their shows.

60's
Tambourine- Ever watched a really old 60's video? Lots of times you'll see like, three people in the back playing a tambourine. Every kid had one, my mom did too. The tambourine was percussion for n00bs, and they loved it. One time in the early 70's, The Who's (Best known as a sixties band) drummer passed out, and for a little bit their singer used a tambourine as percussion.
Electric keyboards- This new musical technology became a big thing. Sixties pop groups like the Monkees would often use these as leading instruments. The Doors never had an official bassist (They had various bassists play bass in studio), so their keyboard would play the keyboards with one hand and play bass on another keyboard with his other hand. A true sixties instrument.

70's
To be honest... I got nothin' for this :(

80's
Synthesizers- These techy keyboards became a big thing in the 80's. Pop groups usually made synth-driven songs in the 80's. Eddie Van Halen is notable for cutting down on the guitar in songs during the mid-late 80's and using synths more. Rush also used synths a whole lot in songs from the early to late eighties.

90's
I got nuttin' here, to. The ninties were somewhat plain and boring, and no instrument really became signifigant in this era.

00's
Computers- Thanks to our technology, no one needs an instrument to make music anymore. Popular pop and rap songs have beats made simply with computers. Even bands like DragonForce use ProTools and stuff to edit mistakes.

Anyone wanna help me with this list?

Zovistograt

Synths were the basis of disco, too, so the 70's should really have the synth.  The 80's just made the synth more prominent.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

major tom

Well yeah. That's why synths are more of an 80's instrument.