News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Choosing Chikarita at the begining?

Started by Missingno6, March 27, 2010, 09:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missingno6

I saw that if I chose Chikarita then the first part (start to after beating the E4 the first time) would be quite difficult. Anyone else notice that Chikorita is very weak against Johto?
Pokemon Platinum FC: 3610 3031 1498

Missingno6

Cornwad

Yeah, I didn't use my chikorita much. If you get that Onix at the beginning its easy though.

Missingno6

bluaki

Grass-types have generally always been the worst ones to start off with. In Kanto only, they make the first two leaders weak to Grass so that Bulbasaur has an advantage at the beginning but then loses it as soon as you start facing Team Rocket with all their Zubat (0.25x grass resist) and other poison-type pokemon (0.5x).

Johto removes any advantage that grass had in Kanto by making those first two gyms actually strong against Chikorita.

DededeCloneChris

Well, at least Grass-types have an easier time leveling up, right?

Lotos

Totodile pays off once it learns Ice Fang.  You can easily defeat Lance once you have Feraligatr at level 50.

So_So_Man

Quote from: Lotos on April 04, 2010, 01:18:05 PM
Totodile pays off once it learns Ice Fang.  You can easily defeat Lance once you have Feraligatr at level 50.
it was a ninny beating lance with a level 40 Feraligatr

Lotos

Quote from: So_So_Man on April 04, 2010, 01:49:11 PM
it was a ninny beating lance with a level 40 Feraligatr

Mine also was holding a NeverMeltIce.  :x

So_So_Man

Quote from: Lotos on April 04, 2010, 01:51:50 PM
Mine also was holding a NeverMeltIce.  :x
That also would have helped, but i think mine had mystic water.  But my basic battle plan for lance was basically "use choice scarf ampharos to discharge the gyarados and maybe the aerodactyl, ice fang the dragonites, and hope like hell i freeze one".  Somehow I managed to freeze both, making the fight much easier.

Drezford_the_Rebell

I see more and more people using totodile these days. I, on the other hand, love Typhlosion too much to not start with Cyndaquil. It's strong against both the first gyms, and then once I get to the 3rd gym I'm able to buy Fire Blast.

If that's not quality, I don't know what is.

So_So_Man

Quote from: Drezford_the_Rebell on April 04, 2010, 06:02:39 PM
I see more and more people using totodile these days. I, on the other hand, love Typhlosion too much to not start with Cyndaquil. It's strong against both the first gyms, and then once I get to the 3rd gym I'm able to buy Fire Blast.

If that's not quality, I don't know what is.
flame thrower

Magnum

I love Chikorita. Best ever. I always choose her as my first.

Then I get other Pokèmon and never use her :(

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

FearItself

That's exactly why I picked Chikorita. I knew that from the beginning.

Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of a challenge. I went through the whole Johto part of the game with a Togetic, Beedril, and Meganium at the end, after the Elite Four. Yes, that's right, Beedril. And I beat all of the gyms with them too. The Elite Four was tough, but I did it. With just those three. It was fun to be unorthodox.

Now, of course, I'm training other Pokemon for the later parts of the game. I only wanted to make it tougher on myself in Johto, lol, not the whole game. Although I bet I could do that too. Ah well. :p

Missingno6

Quote from: FearItself on April 05, 2010, 09:20:45 AM
That's exactly why I picked Chikorita. I knew that from the beginning.
Looks like great minds think alike!