News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

OBAMA IS PRESIDENT RACISM IS GONEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Jono2, January 20, 2009, 12:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HTA!

Quote from: Jono2 on January 22, 2009, 04:10:02 PM
Quote from: HTA on January 22, 2009, 02:53:39 PM
Eh... I can hardly agree to that.

You can't teach people that color means nothing without destroying history. Slaves were black. Then, they strove for equality. They attained it, and it is a triumph for their color. That happened, and teaching that it didn't seems also like discrimination. The point of the past is to teach us discrimination by color is wrong. By either not teaching that these things happened, or trying to drown it out with the fact that "Color means nothing" your tainting the message.

And forgive this next little bit if it seems childish... but did you ever read a book called The Giver? There is no color, no discrimination, no freedom. All to create a perfectly equal and flawless world... People are actually bred to be color blind.
It was really quite bleak. Humans, monsters as we may be, keep life interesting by the differences between us. By teaching that these things don't exist, your almost sucking the life out of the world. As I said earlier... one color is boring.

And I won;t touch the feminist thing, I feel race and gender arguments are separate.

in The Giver, it WAS a perfect world for those who complied to it.  The boy did not, as he stopped taking his medicine.

Actually, I think it was that he had some kind of defect that made him the next Giver.

At any rate... the boy realized that the world he was living in was devoid of any emotion.
It was a stagnant mess... from which he escaped.

For me, it always seemed the book was trying to say that perfection and unity aren't always good when the price could be disastrous.

Either way... think this has been going on long enough. D:

Tupin

Quote from: HTA on January 22, 2009, 08:23:36 PM

You can't teach people that color means nothing without destroying history. Slaves were black. Then, they strove for equality. They attained it, and it is a triumph for their color. That happened, and teaching that it didn't seems also like discrimination. The point of the past is to teach us discrimination by color is wrong. By either not teaching that these things happened, or trying to drown it out with the fact that "Color means nothing" your tainting the message.

And forgive this next little bit if it seems childish... but did you ever read a book called The Giver? There is no color, no discrimination, no freedom. All to create a perfectly equal and flawless world... People are actually bred to be color blind.
It was really quite bleak. Humans, monsters as we may be, keep life interesting by the differences between us. By teaching that these things don't exist, your almost sucking the life out of the world. As I said earlier... one color is boring.

And I won;t touch the feminist thing, I feel race and gender arguments are separate.

in The Giver, it WAS a perfect world for those who complied to it.  The boy did not, as he stopped taking his medicine.

Actually, I think it was that he had some kind of defect that made him the next Giver.

At any rate... the boy realized that the world he was living in was devoid of any emotion.

For me, it always seemed the book was trying to say that perfection and unity aren't always good when the price could be disastrous.

I read The Giver this year, I believe it was his blue eyes that made him next in line.

He escaped after learning about the past, because he believed the community needed the information he learned more than him.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Jono2

Quote from: Tupin on January 22, 2009, 08:33:00 PM
Quote from: HTA on January 22, 2009, 08:23:36 PM

I read The Giver this year, I believe it was his blue eyes that made him next in line.

He escaped after learning about the past, because he believed the community needed the information he learned more than him.

what I was trying to say was, that when people took their medicine, the world WAS perfect for them.  once they stopped taking the drugs, they saw it for how it really was.  It WAS a utopia, but it required set preconditions.  Their past was harmful to them, and as a result, it was kept hidden.

There's no reason to want more if you think that you have is perfect.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

HTA!

Not exactly perfect...
Remember people were killed off for going against the grain? At least that's what I think happened, I know people were killed for some reason...

Anyway... time for school. D:

Ezlo

Quote from: Phaze on January 20, 2009, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: PsychoYoshi on January 20, 2009, 02:14:26 PM
Good luck to the man.

He's going to need it with the economy the way it is, and half the world ready to trounce on our current weakened state. And until proven otherwise, he's earned none of my respect and is just as much of a pretty face as Palin was/is.
I agree. All he's done is promise to do things.

What else could he do?

Shujinco2

I know it's late, but YAY! OBAMA IS PRESEDENT! W00t!
Quote from: StarWindWizard7 on January 20, 2009, 03:44:39 PM
To defend Obama,
He or anybody else running for presidency would say/promise Anything to Win.

Just to get more votes, just to win........ because you made such a huge effort in all the
campaigning and stuff, I don't blame him.

But as everybody said, I hope he does it.
Exactly. FDR promised to give the people back thier beer. :D

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: Shujinco on January 24, 2009, 10:45:20 PM
I know it's late, but YAY! OBAMA IS PRESEDENT! W00t!
Quote from: StarWindWizard7 on January 20, 2009, 03:44:39 PM
To defend Obama,
He or anybody else running for presidency would say/promise Anything to Win.

Just to get more votes, just to win........ because you made such a huge effort in all the
campaigning and stuff, I don't blame him.

But as everybody said, I hope he does it.
Exactly. FDR promised to give the people back thier beer. :D
...which he did.