News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

AP classes are a pain, but they're worth it

Started by Chris8492, March 29, 2010, 06:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornwad

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on March 29, 2010, 11:27:10 PM
Uh hi, I get to finish college before everyone else in my class, meaning I pay less in tuition.  Or at the very least, have some room to play around with if I want to take it slow.
Everyone else probably has those AP credits too, so you have no real advantage. And that has nothing to do with being accepted by colleges anyway. If nobody else in your school took AP classes, it can't be a very good one. AP classes just put you on the same level as everyone else, like I said before.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: Cornwad on March 30, 2010, 11:56:23 AM
Everyone else probably has those AP credits too, so you have no real advantage. And that has nothing to do with being accepted by colleges anyway. If nobody else in your school took AP classes, it can't be a very good one. AP classes just put you on the same level as everyone else, like I said before.
Actually, no they don't.  Very few people here actually get the full AP credit, because they didn't go for the 4 or 5 in the class.  Anyone can take AP classes.  Few people actually get the credit for them.  Why?  Because you have to work your ass off to get a 4 or 5, and even then there's a chance that you might not get the course credit for it.  However, by simply taking an AP course, you tell colleges you're willing to go for that extra work and effort to excel.  So even if you do poorly on the AP standards, you at least tried, and that says a great deal to colleges, certainly more than the kid who got 100s by coasting through by taking all the easy classes.  Colleges want students that are willing to apply themselves and work hard, and AP/IB is a good demonstration of that attribute.

Cornwad

A good deal of colleges don't even look at AP scores nowadays because anybody can get into an AP class. What matters the most is getting an A in the class, but like I said that has nothing to do with the AP. I guess what I'm trying to say is that AP classes aren't anything special, they're just another class. The name Advanced Placement is a lie. And you can fail the class and still get a good score on the AP test by the way. Standardized tests are always easy. In a few years SAT scores won't carry much weight either.

L10

Can I say that most of the credits I get next year can probably get transferred. I only need like a credit and a half(well 2 and a half, one of my extra credits is going towards English though) to graduate high school, the rest is up for grabs, if I took any more classes for next year I'd be in night school.

oh look, haven't taken a step into an AP class, I guess I got lucky and was able to go to a CTEC
0o!f

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: L10 on March 30, 2010, 12:52:02 PM
oh look, haven't taken a step into an AP class, I guess I got lucky and was able to go to a CTEC
The California Tax Education Council?

L10

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on March 30, 2010, 03:59:51 PM
The California Tax Education Council?
Career & Technical Education
I spend half my school day there for a class and I get a bunch of credits for it, and my school is allowed to do whatever they want with the credits.
0o!f

Zero

Quote from: Cornwad on March 30, 2010, 12:36:36 PM
A good deal of colleges don't even look at AP scores nowadays because anybody can get into an AP class. What matters the most is getting an A in the class, but like I said that has nothing to do with the AP. I guess what I'm trying to say is that AP classes aren't anything special, they're just another class. The name Advanced Placement is a lie. And you can fail the class and still get a good score on the AP test by the way. Standardized tests are always easy. In a few years SAT scores won't carry much weight either.

You don't know what you're talking about, lol.

Cornwad

Quote from: Zero on March 30, 2010, 05:58:27 PM
You don't know what you're talking about, lol.
I assure you I do. I'm an expert on this kind of thing.

Zero

Quote from: Cornwad on March 30, 2010, 06:06:47 PM
I assure you I do. I'm an expert on this kind of thing.

Considering the only ones in my school that are going to the University of Florida, which is the best school in my state, are the ones that take AP classes, no, you don't know jack poop. Colleges still care about that crap, which is why they ACCEPT AP credit. Hell IVY league schools certainly care about that poop.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. I can't vouch for any other school but my school's AP classes certainly don't fit with the misconceptions being blabbered around in this thread. All the teachers are former college teachers that treat the class AS IF it were a college class, hence why you get COLLEGE CREDIT for getting a high score on the AP Exams. We follow college curriculum and abide by their standards.

While I agree that the AP name doesn't necessarily fit, the difficulty in these classes are far higher than that of "on-level" classes.

I get out of college sooner than most of you would, because I'm basically in college half of the time right now. I'm not sure why you or anyone else wouldn't see that as an advantage to taking AP Classes.

Your school must suck dick

Cornwad

No need for name calling. Now I don't know anything about Florida, but up here in the North East we have different standards for education. I can say with confidence that at least half of the students in my school are taking at least one AP class, and they're going to better places than the University of Florida. Maybe its because I live in a better area, but AP classes are the norm where I am. You can't just go around saying you know about education when you live in Florida. Do some research next time before you go around acting like you know what's what.

L10

blegh, I have to type this out again because of the dumb server...ok...

No offence, but from what I understand the education down in Florida is pretty bad. Like what would normally get you an A down there, would be the equivalent of a C up here.

In fact, a couple of months ago, my Chem teacher was saying how bad she felt for the kids down south that get such terrible education.

And where I go on vacation, they have about the worst school in the nation, and trust me, it probably is, I've seen it up close in the teens down there(talking about (North)Myrtle Beach now)
0o!f

Mikoyan

Quote from: Cornwad on March 30, 2010, 12:36:36 PM
I gotta disagree with universities not caring about SATs. The only time when they don't care is if you submit a 2250+ to an Ivy League school or some other top tier university (Stanford being the big one) because they're scouting for ECs because everybody looks the same. Also, on the side, what did you get on your SATs? It should be pretty high because it's an easy test, right?

Also, the "A" in AP classes does not matter the most. I could, for example, ace my AP Biology class but bomb the test and get a 2. The score of the exam validates the grade earned; it levels the playing field for everybody (because I sure hope you don't think A's aren't subjective). I fail to see how the AP class is merely "another class." If I went off in a regular biology class talking about the function of the various Igs, immunoglobins, and mast cell complexes of the immune system, how many of them would get it straight off the bat? If I talked about the PLA's effects on the CCP Politburo, Guan Xi, and standing committees, how many government students would understand the intricacies within? AP is a whole new level geared for those who aren't satisfied with just knowing that things work; they want to know how it works. For you to label AP classes as "just another class" is extremely myopic and not thought out at all.

Oh, and returning to the idea that standardized tests are easy, I compiled a short list of pass rates in the most commonly taken AP classes.

Calculus AB: 60%
Calculus BC: 80% (keep in mind Calc BC is basically AB + series)
Biology: 61%
Chemistry: 65%
Physics B: 61%
Literature: 60%
European History: 66%
US History: 53%
World History: 54%
US Government/Politics: 56%

Pretty darn easy, huh?

QuoteYou can't just go around saying you know about education when you live in Florida.
HEY YOU LIVE IN A DIFFERENT REGION THAT NORMALLY DOESN'T HAVE GOOD SCHOOLS THEREFORE I WILL JUDGE YOU AND MAKE UNQUALIFIED REMARKS ABOUT YOUR TOTAL LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ON THE SUBJECT BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T GET AN INTERNET CONNECTION DOWN THERE

Cornwad

Like I said, I guess I have a different experience from living in the area I do. Let's say I'm in a race and my car has a special engine that makes me much faster than the rest of the cars. I have an advantage. If most of the other cars have the same exact engine, I lose my advantage. It helps, but it helps everyone else too. AP classes aren't about learning so much as they are about passing a test. You gave the example of a science class. I have heard many teachers recommending an honors science class because it covers the material more extensively than the AP class. The AP class needs to cover all the material on the test, while the honors class can go more in-depth because they don't have to worry about a test. In that way, the AP class is actually worse for people who just want to learn. Of course I take all AP classes, but that's because I want to stay on the same level as everyone else.

Sorry about the block of text, I hate reading those too.

Mikoyan

QuoteLike I said, I guess I have a different experience from living in the area I do.
Hi, I live in California and my school is surrounded by the land of the Asians (I'm Asian too but w/e). Seriously, getting a scholarship out here is like getting a glass of ice water in hell. There are so many junior AP Scholars it's ridiculous.

Quote. You gave the example of a science class. I have heard many teachers recommending an honors science class because it covers the material more extensively than the AP class. The AP class needs to cover all the material on the test, while the honors class can go more in-depth because they don't have to worry about a test.
Wait so the few weeks after the exam is for doing meth? Cool.

I also request a response as to how standardized tests are easy, especially those crafted by College Board. My arguments are in the post you responded to. In addition, hopefully you will rescind the following:
QuoteYou can't just go around saying you know about education when you live in Florida.

Cornwad

I guess I can't speak for everyone on the tests subject. I guess I'm just full of so much genius that the tests are not a challenge. But really, what other answer were you expecting?

Once the test is already over there is no point to going back and restudying things. The subject was probably initially focused on so long ago that some of the knowledge was lost in the time gap. You would then need to review which would waste more time. You would only be able to cover one or two subjects in more depth.

And about that last part, he posted nonsensical hate speech at the end of his post, so I put some in mine. It's only fair.