News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

AP classes are a pain, but they're worth it

Started by Chris8492, March 29, 2010, 06:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikoyan

QuoteI guess I can't speak for everyone on the tests subject. I guess I'm just full of so much genius that the tests are not a challenge. But really, what other answer were you expecting?
I wasn't expecting an answer.

QuoteOnce the test is already over there is no point to going back and restudying things. The subject was probably initially focused on so long ago that some of the knowledge was lost in the time gap. You would then need to review which would waste more time. You would only be able to cover one or two subjects in more depth.
I forgot what majors were for. Granted, stuff like AP European History drains pretty quickly, but overall AP exposes you to a great variety of subjects. Why do you think many colleges don't let you declare a major until after your freshman year? With AP, you get to skip that freshman year because all of the credits earned told you what you really wanted to become.

QuoteNo need for name calling
QuoteAnd about that last part, he posted nonsensical hate speech at the end of his post, so I put some in mine. It's only fair.

Hmmm

Cornwad

As far as I'm concerned, high school is just for getting you into a college and providing you some basic knowledge. AP doesn't really show what you want to do. I know I don't want to be a historian or whatever a person who studies English does, but I and a lot of people who don't still take the class because you need it to be considered by a college.
The part about Asians making it hard to get scholarships shows how AP classes hurt more than they help. And they do help, just not as much as they should. 

And the last part wasn't needed, but it doesn't make me any less right.

Mikoyan

Quote from: Cornwad on March 30, 2010, 10:41:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned, high school is just for getting you into a college and providing you some basic knowledge. AP doesn't really show what you want to do. I know I don't want to be a historian or whatever a person who studies English does, but I and a lot of people who don't still take the class because you need it to be considered by a college.
The part about Asians making it hard to get scholarships shows how AP classes hurt more than they help. And they do help, just not as much as they should. 

And the last part wasn't needed, but it doesn't make me any less right.
Well, yeah, now I see where you're coming from. But for a good majority of students that aren't competing neck to neck for admissions into a godtier school, APs are more than just "another class." I suppose I'm a bit bitter because some bastards were talking about how poopty I was, but I mostly got back at them. It's nothing short of pompous to believe that APs are regular classes; to you, it might be a breeze, but to others, it is a challenge. It's like me saying, "2280? Pft, I did that in my sleep, no sweat." Hell no; I worked my ass off for that.

Also, the last part was just an interesting irony that I wanted to bring up. If you're referring to "right" as in the significance of APs, it's all opinion from there. However, if you're "right" about Floridians not knowing jack about education because of their system, you've got another thing coming.

Cornwad

I suppose I exaggerated when I said it was just another class. I wasn't trying to say people who are in AP don't work hard, just that there are a lot of them all competing for the same thing.

Zero

Quote from: Cornwad on March 30, 2010, 06:52:29 PM
No need for name calling. Now I don't know anything about Florida, but up here in the North East we have different standards for education. I can say with confidence that at least half of the students in my school are taking at least one AP class, and they're going to better places than the University of Florida. Maybe its because I live in a better area, but AP classes are the norm where I am. You can't just go around saying you know about education when you live in Florida. Do some research next time before you go around acting like you know what's what.

Name calling? lol I said your school sucks dick bro, didn't call you anything. I'll get to that shortly though, because you seriously have it coming for being a complete egomaniac.

I can't go around saying I know about education when I live in Florida? Why's that? You sure as hell don't know what you're talking about and you live in the North East. Hmm, I wonder why that is. I lived in New York for 2 of my years in high school and we were about at the same pace. Wanna know what I noticed when I was up there? The intercourse ing north has a huge ass superiority complex over the south when it comes to just about everything. Everyone that lives in Florida is a former northener, and is quite literally equivalent to the north in just about everything. We have no snow and have more old people, oh poop we're intercourse ing retarded all of a sudden.

How about YOU do some intercourse ing research, poop hole. There, you got your name. My state isn't intercourse ing retarded like most northerners seem to believe. Our education system isn't any better than any other state's, but how about not being a biased retard next time you step into an argument because you sure as hell throw assumptions and misconceptions around left and right. You assume your state has better standards simply because half of your school apparently takes AP classes. Have you ever once considered why that is without pumping up your obvious ego? If everyone is taking AP classes, it could mean A)Your school's AP classes are a pushover(hence my earlier comment) or B)Your school is filled to the brim with hard working and talented people.

If you're the example, I'm betting on A, because you seem to think that AP is the new honors and so on and so forth. That may be the case where you live, but here, AP means something. And that's the end of that.

Long story short, deflate your northerner ego and actually provide valid points to your argument other than "FLORIDIANS DON'T KNOW SHIT", because that blatant display of idiocy is what mad me off and effectively showed me that you really don't know what you're talking about at all. Anything you say regarding this subject can be discredited immediately.

Quote from: L10 on March 30, 2010, 09:23:35 PM
blegh, I have to type this out again because of the dumb server...ok...

No offence, but from what I understand the education down in Florida is pretty bad. Like what would normally get you an A down there, would be the equivalent of a C up here.

In fact, a couple of months ago, my Chem teacher was saying how bad she felt for the kids down south that get such terrible education.

And where I go on vacation, they have about the worst school in the nation, and trust me, it probably is, I've seen it up close in the teens down there(talking about (North)Myrtle Beach now)

Well intercourse  I guess since I'm in the upper percentile in the ENTIRE country in just about every subject that Florida's education must be terrible. Give me anything you could do, and I could do 100 times better.

Fuck you

I'm done in this thread. This is just too much idiocy to bear.

Cornwad

I'm not even going to read that. I think we came to a nice consensus yesterday.

Rayquarian

I find it strange that the pass rate for Calculus BC is higher than that of Calculus AB, despite covering all of the AB material plus integrating by parts and tables, trigonometric substitution, improper integrals, series and power series, Taylor polynomials and Taylor series, and some other stuff.  I guess the people who would take Calculus AB and fail are the same people who would never dare to take Calculus BC.

Friendly Hostile

Mostly that.  The people that take BC are incredibly dedicated to the material, and in my high school, had to be done on your own outside of the class if you wanted to take the BC exam, since there wasn't enough time to actually cover it at school.