News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

The internet is still safe...or is it?

Started by Silverhawk79, October 01, 2010, 09:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverhawk79

As some of you may or may not know, a law called COICA (Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act) was in legislation recently. Luckily, it's been put on hold for a while. Basically the law would allow sites that the Department of Justice felt was infringing on copyright (pretty much every good site out there) to be wiped clean off the internet. That's terrifying. Luckily it's been shelved for the time being.
However, Congress is still trying to pressure ISPs into censoring certain sites in the meantime.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100929/20293711230/even-without-coica-white-house-asking-registrars-to-voluntarily-censor-infringing-sites.shtml
This is terrifying to me. It's like 1984 has truly come into full swing.

Jirachi82

so why is the congress lately jumping into the mainstream media of the world of Internet? Basically they want to get rid of sites like serebii or something?

ThePowerOfOne

Sometimes I just hate people. I really do.

BOREDFOREVER

There's money being made on the internets.  Corporations don't like the fact that Joe Hockensack may be taking something out of their bottom line.  So they start pressuring the congressmen that they "donated" campaign money to, and threaten to dry up if something doesn't happen.

It's unique because it's not really a two sided issue like most.  There aren't two sides thowing money at politicians, like Big Oil and the Environmental lobby.   There's no one really out there tossing money out on behalf of Joe Shmoe and his Pokemon FanFic website.  It's not so much 1984 and Big Brother trying to control the thoughts and expressions of the man, it's just good old American Corporate Greed.

Nayrman

And our "elected" officials are just dumb enough to enforce such stupid legislation! God bless American and our dumbass politicians and greedy corporations.

Zero

Every wikia on the net would vanish, lol.

@Nayr:

You act as though America is the only country with corrupt politicians and greedy corporations.

Nayrman

Quote from: Zero on October 02, 2010, 09:12:45 AM
Every wikia on the net would vanish, lol.

@Nayr:

You act as though America is the only country with corrupt politicians and greedy corporations.
Were did I ever suggest that we were the only ones in that post? X_X;;

Lotos

Quote from: Nayrman on October 02, 2010, 08:48:06 AM
And our "elected" officials are just dumb enough to enforce such stupid legislation! God bless American and our dumbass politicians and greedy corporations.

QFT.  Maybe it's also the people who are dumb enough to elect these people into office?

Zero

Quote from: Nayrman on October 02, 2010, 09:28:49 AM
Were did I ever suggest that we were the only ones in that post? X_X;;

You didn't. Just making sure you're not oblivious to other countries I suppose.

tibar21

Quote from: Lotos on October 02, 2010, 11:34:24 AM
QFT.  Maybe it's also the people who are dumb enough to elect these people into office?
all the politicians up for election are vagina cleaning devices. theres not any good choices. u have to choose the least worst one.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

StarWindWizard7

The government is gonna rule our lives by 2012. :|

Silverhawk79

Technically, even NSFCD violates copyright laws in some ways.
OH GOLLY GOSH THIS WILL BE INTERESTING.

Nayrman

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on October 03, 2010, 01:48:02 PM
Technically, even NSFCD violates copyright laws in some ways.
OH GOLLY GOSH THIS WILL BE INTERESTING.
So the only things left will be corporate sites that only exist to sell a product. OH FUCKING JOY.

Tupin

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.