News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

The internet is still safe...or is it?

Started by Silverhawk79, October 01, 2010, 09:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Quote from: Nayrman on October 03, 2010, 02:28:22 PM
So the only things left will be corporate sites that only exist to sell a product. OH FUCKING JOY.
No one would use the Internet then, it kind of defeats the purpose of linking all of the computers in the world together if the only thing they do is play ads.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on October 03, 2010, 03:35:08 PM
What happened to fair use?
Corporations don't care about fair use. Why do you think Disney "urges" (and by that I mean pays) Congress to extend copyright every time Steamboat Willie is about to hit public domain?

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Nayrman on October 03, 2010, 04:19:27 PM
Corporations don't care about fair use. Why do you think Disney "urges" (and by that I mean pays) Congress to extend copyright every time Steamboat Willie is about to hit public domain?
Because Disney is pure intercourse ing evil.

Nayrman

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on October 03, 2010, 06:44:02 PM
Because Disney is pure intercourse ing evil.
Well that's the most obvious statement in the world. Hell, water is wet is less obvious than Disney being evil.

Tupin

Well, it IS their premier character... the one that they haven't used in over 30 years in any major motion picture, but their premier character nonetheless. Plus, it is a part of history. I guess I could understand if they didn't want it lumped together with a bunch of other public domain stuff on a $1 DVD.

What about reviews? What about discussion of any sort of media?

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on October 03, 2010, 07:59:22 PM
Well, it IS their premier character... the one that they haven't used in over 30 years in any major motion picture, but their premier character nonetheless. Plus, it is a part of history. I guess I could understand if they didn't want it lumped together with a bunch of other public domain stuff on a $1 DVD.

What about reviews? What about discussion of any sort of media?
And this is why I hate corporate ownership. WALT DISNEY made that short, no one currently working at Disney had anything to do with that short, or any of the old 40's shorts. But of course, they'll always get what the want because they "coerce" (read: pay) congress to basically permanently make it theirs. Fuck them and intercourse  this horrible copyright law.

Tupin

Speaking of being safe, can we say Pokemon Black and White details now?

Rayquarian

Quote from: Tupin on October 03, 2010, 03:35:08 PM
What happened to fair use?
It took the last ferry to the coast

THE DAY.  THE INTERNET.  DIED.

The Seventh

I have to say seeing this poop trying to be enacted is rather stupid...first of all, communities devoted to various products will die.  This will kill hype and whatnot.

Second of all, how are they going to jail all these people for this?  HOW I ASK YOU!?

sure, they may take down large servers, but whose to say that small sites will go unnoticed?  This is sounding like the end of the internet.
meh

Homewrecker

Even if it happened, I really doubt it would be enforced.

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: Persephone on October 04, 2010, 05:32:33 PM
Even if it happened, I really doubt it would be enforced.

I think you'ld see enforcement in about the same way the RIAA handles music.  They take down targets and make them highly publicized.  And it won't just be high profile targets.  They'll take down little sites in order to show that they're willing to come after anybody, making examples of people while they go in order to threaten everybody else.

Homewrecker

Quote from: BOREDFANBOY on October 04, 2010, 08:47:35 PM
I think you'ld see enforcement in about the same way the RIAA handles music.  They take down targets and make them highly publicized.  And it won't just be high profile targets.  They'll take down little sites in order to show that they're willing to come after anybody, making examples of people while they go in order to threaten everybody else.
The worst that happens to the average person is receiving an angry letter from their ISP. (and ISPs really don't care 99% of the time) It's mostly just a load of steam and scare tactics.

Though it really is a shame that governments encourage this kind of corporate bullying in the first place. Old dinosaurs really should learn how the internet works and stop clinging to their outdated business models.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Tupin on October 03, 2010, 08:36:00 PM
Speaking of being safe, can we say Pokemon Black and White details now?
Nope. Nintendo is still being silly.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Persephone on October 04, 2010, 10:20:32 PM
The worst that happens to the average person is receiving an angry letter from their ISP. (and ISPs really don't care 99% of the time) It's mostly just a load of steam and scare tactics.

Though it really is a shame that governments encourage this kind of corporate bullying in the first place. Old dinosaurs really should learn how the internet works and stop clinging to their outdated business models.
Oh yeah, ISPs only care if they're really pressured. Why risk losing customers over silly threats? Unless you're doing some hardcore pirating, you'll maybe get a letter.

Super

This is a democracy, so the people are to blame.