Started by Olimar_91, May 21, 2008, 05:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar_91

~LostWinds~

Publisher Frontier
Developer Frontier
ESRB E for Everyone
Price 1000 Wii Points

Way back when the Nintendo Gamecube was announced, a new philosophy for game design was introduced. The idea: to have a more frequent release of shorter, sweeter experiences, rather than having only a few big-shot title?s each year. Unfortunately, the only fruit of this was the under-appreciated Luigi?s Mansion, and before long, even Nintendo themselves resorted back to their old ways.

Now, with the launch of their knew Wiiware service, Nintendo seems to be reviving this old theory; and a perfect iteration is one of it?s launch titles, LostWinds.

Although the game is not made by Nintendo, it contains much of the polish and completeness that you?d expect from them. Frontier has really crafted something excellent here. The graphics, although not exactly ?next-generation?, put many 3rd party developers to shame with it?s spectacular art direction. And the fact that it all comes packaged as a downloadable title is definetly something that it?s creators should be proud of. 

Like any good meal, LostWinds has a sturdy main-dish. The game plays out as a 2D adventure, similar to something like Metroid. What makes it unique though, is that your main character, Toku, is by himself somewhat useless. To aid him, you must control a wind spirit named Enril. By waving the Wii remote, you guide gusts of wind that can help Toku to perform various tasks. The concept sounds somewhat worn, but paired with the slow-and-steady pace of the game, it feels amazingly refreshing.

What?s particularly salivating about the wind power you gain, is how well the developers have pulled it off. Everything works just as it should, and any misstep you take is likely your own fault, not the games. It also feels so serene to move your cursor around the screen, blowing trees and tall grass in the background. Everything in the game just has a very peaceful vibe, and it works to the games advantage.

Speaking of peaceful, it?s worth noting that the games soundtrack is also quite tame. In addition to everything else, the music will really give off a relaxing aura, and strange as it may seem for an adventure title, it makes for a very calm experience. There aren?t many tracks in the game, but what?s here is really quite great, that?s coming from a harsh music critic. You definetly won?t want to turn off your sound while playing this.

Unfortunately, LostWinds isn?t without it?s faults. Specifically, the game is quite short. Now, bearing in mind that an average $50 game will last about ten to fifteen hours, you can?t really complain too loudly. But for a singular game, three hours seems to breeze by, much like Enril. The key however is not to rush through the game. I managed to expand my experience by simply taking the time to let the adventure sink in as I went. And with that in mind, I can?t say that I personally was disappointed by the short length.

Like a dish at a 5-star restaurant, LostWinds is small, but makes you feel good. It?s savory gameplay and beautiful visuals and music will have you hooked until completion. If Nintendo can keep the bar as high as this game has set it, then Wiiware has amazing potential. And perhaps some day their philosophy that has been since forgetting will be completely resurrected.

~Oli