Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Seven Pounds - Movie review

Started by Kita, December 25, 2008, 10:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kita

Staring: Will Smith
Rated: PG-13

Yeah it's a video game forum and I'm reviewing a movie.  I just figured since I wasted $7.50 on this crappy film, that I would tell the rest of you want it's about.  Before reading on this is going to be nothing but spoilers because other wise there would be nothing to review.  Don't worry though, the movie isn't worth seeing at all anyways.

Starting off you have a bunch of flash backs of the past and then to the present.  Thing is you don't even know the connection between them or what's going on until much later.  What happens is Will Smith plays the roll of a guy named Tim.  Yet you don't even find out that's his name until the end of the movie.  Tim steals his brothers identity and posses as a IRS agent so that he can get files of people that need help.  He wishes to help people in a way that they can't help themselves because he feels as though his life is meaningless and that he is worthless.

There is no character development at all because you don't even know who he is until the end anyways.  You see, Tim gave his brother Ben part of his lung and that sparked in him that he has some value.  His organs are valuable to those that need it.  Hence the movies title seven pounds refers to him helping seven people.  During the course of the movie he gives people things they really need, his lung, liver, house, bone marrow, blood, and eventually his eyes and heart.  The only interesting part to the movie is the last half hour when he finally lets the girl he's going to give his heart to, get close to him. 

Sounds pretty boring, huh? Well it is.  The movie is very slow to start and makes little to no sense until the very end.  However, the acting was very well done.  Will Smith has always been a decent actor and this movie is no exception.  He just could have picked a better movie, especially after Hancock.  Body language says a lot when it comes to Will's roll in this movie.

As for a sound track.  Don't even get me started.  I didn't recognize one song, but that's not the bad part.  Sometimes that's good because then you might hear something you like and get it, but that's not the case here.  There is one part when you have a love scene, and the music in the background was just annoying as all heck.  The piano playing had this one cord that they continued to hit and it sounded off key.  It just got under my skin.

As for the concept and message that the movie sends.  Well I found it to be very deep and emotional.  If you take away the poor screen writing and just think about the persons feelings, it says a lot.  I mean you have a person who thinks his only purpose in life is to give his life for others so that he can save them.  In the movie Will's character is over come with grief because of an accident he caused.  He was checking his cell phone with his wife in the car and then BAM they get hit.  Seven people die and he's the only one that lives.  So he now has to either live a life of guilt or give back what he took.  It's a powerful message, just not portrayed in the best way.

Over all this movie gets a 3/10 and that's only because Will Smith was in it.  Other wise it would be a 0.  Even if this movie was to come on TV I wouldn't sit through it again.  I nearly fell asleep.  Wait that's an idea, if I can't go to sleep then I'll just watch this movie to help me. ~burn~

Please come check out my forum for all your RPG gaming News and chat:

www.vortexshadow.com

Macawmoses

I full heartedly agree. The movie was nothing but garbage.

Glad to see you put passion behind the statement :P