News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Plot twist: Members of the Month and S.I.T.

Started by Vaatix, February 01, 2008, 12:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genius

Quote from: Jono2 on February 04, 2008, 07:39:15 AM
it doesn't make sense to have you guys in for 5 months.  this forum won't be around in that amount of time, because Nsider will be back. :|

I see that people are still living in denial over Nsider's return.

not saying that there should be a complete overhaul of the SIT in X number of months, that there should be a vote, and whoever is contributing the least, or whoever by general consensus should be kicked out should be kicked, and others should be voted in.

And again, like most others arguing this point, you only say this for your own personal advancement.  You're thinking of yourself before the forum.  The point of the S.I.T. is to improve the forum.  Trying to change the system to make everyone feel included doesn't work out here. 

What if everyone is contributing just fine?  No reason to force someone out if they're doing just fine as they are, wouldn't you agree?

I know it, you all know it. 5 months is far too long because at least half of you (well, half of the site, more likely much more than that) won't be around here in that amount of time.

And just what makes you so sure of that?  Maybe you're not planning to be here in five months, since you've somehow managed to predict the end of this place coming very soon, but I think plenty of others will stick around.  Your entire argument is riding on the belief that Nsider will make some kind of triumphant return, and everyone will go back there.

Stop living in a dream.  Nsider isn't coming back.  If something does replace it, I assure you, it won't be what you're thinking. 

Quote from: Jono2 on February 04, 2008, 07:56:31 AM
there is no worry.  but if it lasts 5 months, this supposed "work" that you're doing (which I don't see happening now, even though Genius claims that it'll be cut short if the time is anything less than 5 months) will give you a sense that you have all the time in the world to do it with.

No.  It gives the people the time they need to work out whatever issues may come to mind.  If people get lazy, they'd likely be removed. 

also, there will be a few people who leave the forums within 5 months.

You already said that, except that it was half the forum last time.

a shorter work period gets things done faster.

No.  It presses people to work as fast as they can, generally rushing what would otherwise need more time.  It's not fair to push an idea through as quick as possible when it may need more thought.

I just don't see why it has to be 5 months.  not like it takes that long for a group of individuals to decide on what's wrong with the site.  that can be done in an afternoon that you all have off.  it doesn't take nearly that long, and more viewpoints on the website means different things will be found that need improvement.

Why shouldn't it be five months?  The only possible reason I could see anyone wanting it shortened is because they want a chance at it.  In that case, it's just selfish, and such people wouldn't get the position anyway.

As I said, if the group is working fine, why change it?  The S.I.T. will be speaking for the general will of the people.  It's not just the people in there that will be making decisions based on their own personal preferences.  They're simply speaking for the community as a whole.

Edit:  not to mention that giving users special ranks like this only continues the Nsider tradition of giving special ranks to "those who deserve it", instilling a social hierachy and making certain users jealous.

Yes, that's true.  I never liked Sage for that in the first place.  There's no reason to get jealous over it, though. 

Pseudo Edit:  If the SIT is elected, it shouldn't be self-elected.  it should be elected by the rest of the forum.

There's a huge problem with what you just said. 

You can't see what the S.I.T. does.  You see the final product that comes from it, maybe.  However, while you're whining about how you haven't seen the group do anything, you totally fail to realize that we're already getting started on things.  You don't see the process. 

That being the case, the general userbase can't rightfully judge the S.I.T.  It would end up with people voting for or against people simply on their personal feelings towards them; not how well they fit into the group. 

PsychoYoshi

Edit:  not to mention that giving users special ranks like this only continues the Nsider tradition of giving special ranks to "those who deserve it", instilling a social hierachy and making certain users jealous.

Unlike the Nsider mods, I do believe that we have a pretty good handle on who is intelligent and/or capable enough to bear the rank. Social hierarchy? It always exists, regardless of whether you have special ranks or not. Some users are undoubtedly always going to be more popular than others. Better to have intelligent people filling the positions than people who have gotten in simply because they've got a lot of friends in high places.

QuotePseudo Edit:  If the SIT is elected, it shouldn't be self-elected.  it should be elected by the rest of the forum.
Again, would you rather have a popular despot or an enlightened despot in charge?

Syncopathic

Well congrats on the people that got S.I.T.
Kaz? WTF O_O how he get S.I.T?

Jono2

What makes you so sure that Nsider won't be back?  even if it does, assuming it's still nintendo-run, me & quite a few others won't even be there.

I don't even want to be part of the SIT, I'm just thinking that we need a change-up every once in a while.  I'd make a horrible member, because I'd never get anything done.

Give a classroom a semester to do a project that takes a week long and most of them will leave it until the week before it's due.  give them a week to do it and they'll hop to it much faster.  less time means things get done faster.  not saying that if something is unfinished the people should be thrown off of it before it's done, but if there's less time for people to do things, they WILL get done faster than if you let them just sit around and tell them what needs to be done.  If people get lazy, they'll be removed.  right.  which makes sense to have a vote amongst yourselves to determine if there is anyone else that deserves it more than Member X.

if you want to stop "living in the past" because "nsider isn't coming back", change the forum from an Nsider forum to a gaming forum.  this place has nothing to do with Nsider but the name & the people who visit it.  we have absolutely no connections, nothing that ties us to that place.  However, without the connection, this place becomes a generic gaming forum, and people leave back to where they were before this place came along.  it's a lose-lose situation.

finally, maybe you should get someone to update us on the progress being made, so the rest of the site can be on your ass if something is moving along slowly.

I'm curious though.  what've you guys done so far (not meant to be a snark remark)?

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

bluaki

Quote from: Jono2 on February 04, 2008, 01:15:35 PM
I'm curious though.  what've you guys done so far (not meant to be a snark remark)?
We are planning change in the amount of boards and what boards should remain, trying to gain the ability to see who votes what in polls in boards that relate to our position (the SIT board, announcements, forum help, and suggestions, likely), choosing broad categories that can be improved, and, although nobody has voted yet, choosing a chairman.

Jono2

Quote from: bluaki on February 04, 2008, 01:32:25 PM
Quote from: Jono2 on February 04, 2008, 01:15:35 PM
We are planning change in the amount of boards and what boards should remain, trying to gain the ability to see who votes what in polls in boards that relate to our position (the SIT board, announcements, forum help, and suggestions, likely), choosing broad categories that can be improved, and, although nobody has voted yet, choosing a chairman.

cool.  would it be easier to set up a vote in power on (considering how that's the most traveled board with the exception of smash bros) for people to vote on which boards should stay and which should go?  I personally don't see the point of most of the gaming boards, and I'd say that most of them should be bunched together under general gaming...

don't wanna give too many suggestions, but I did have a bit of a plan written out a while ago. o_O

in response to you PY, I'd rather have someone who keeps their noses out of other people's business, and is nice to people than someone who runs around and tells people what they shouldn't be doing, even if they get more done.  It's not a fun forum environment to have someone who is ready to pounce in the backdrop.

bluaki

Quote from: Jono2 on February 04, 2008, 01:38:13 PM
I personally don't see the point of most of the gaming boards, and I'd say that most of them should be bunched together under general gaming...
This is still a gaming forum, so some of that needs to stay. Generally, it seems that only the most popular game franchises (SSB, Mario, Pokemon), current-gen Nintendo consoles (Wii and DS), and the other game companies (Microsoft and Sony) deserve a board along with general boards for Legacy Systems, Wi-Fi, other Nintendo games, etc.

Chain Chompesque

**** it, but Jono fights hard for what he wants. :P
To be seen, stand up. To be heard, speak up. To be appreciated, shut up.
Also, you can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Join the Mushroom Kingdom wars!

Join the Pikmin wars!

Dumple Land! <-Click this one.
Labor! I said labor, dang it!
Time for transport!

Macawmoses

All I here is whining. This is not a case where it is good, because your point is deterred. As mentioned, we have a PRIVATE board, and it is private for good cause, so we can get things done without outside distractions. You forget that none of us were told in advance, so the fact we have established a board layout so soon is quite remarkable. Before judging, give us a chance. Let he who is without stupidity cast the first stone, and trust me, we all are stupid in some ways, except Genius.

Ridley

I don't think Mac should be an Lk or SIT.

I think he should be a koh :P Yeah I'm surprised you aren't yet. You seem like you would be the type.
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

Jono2

Quote from: Chain Chompesque on February 04, 2008, 02:50:32 PM
**** it, but Jono fights hard for what he wants. :P

I'm just trying to raise a point.  I'm not saying anything has to be any way, I'm just stating my opinion.

Rius

I find it interesting how people are expecting great changes and it has only been 4 days, as of this writing, that the SIT members received the rank. We're not moderators, so you likely won't see any of our work except for the end results, and it is not like anyone plans on boasting about those accomplishments either. If you feel that there has been no improvements made to the forum by the end of a month or two, then by all means complain. At this point, it is essentially like determining whether or not a newborn will grow up to have a degree in differential calculus or not.

Jono2

im not expecting great changes, but I was expecting something to be started, or at least a meeting, which is what happened.  I'm not complaining. o_O

SkyMyl

Strange...I never get the stay-for-a-certain-amount-of-months ranks...

Congrats guys!

Java

I'm just throwing something out there, but would it be possible for the SITs to have a board where the users can look at what's going on, but not post? Kinda like the Sage Only board on OldSider.

Mehh...I'm just wondering. I don't know if this is a good or a bad idea, so no need to flame.