News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

MK: WII Review

Started by Macawmoses, April 29, 2008, 07:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

I am going to go out on a limb, and say everyone reading this has played Mario Kart at least once in their lives, otherwise, you have all led miserable lives.....

Release Date (NA): April 27/2008
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Wii
Wifi: Yes
Controls: Wii Remote (Wii Wheel), Gamecube, Classic, Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

Mario Kart is a legendary series, for good cause. Since its' debut on the Super Nintendo, it has dominated the sales charts, and enthralled many. The basic premise is this, characters from the Mario universe drive karts, they race, they win, and we play one of the best multiplayer series out there to date.

Counting the arcade releases, this is the eighth Mario Kart game, a rather impressive pedigree, dating across numerous consoles, and handhelds. How does Mario Kart Wii compare to the rest?

On top of that, Nintendo just released their hit smash, Super Smash Bros Brawl, which sold 2.5 million copies in no time flat. The game itself features many of the same charcters as Mario Kart; Peach, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and the rest of the gang. One must not only compare this title to other racing titles, it must also be compared to the behomoth of Brawl.

For those of you that have been living under a rock, Nintendo promised a new "Wii Wheel" just for Mario Kart, and likely to be used in the future. To answer your question, yes, it is awkward, and yes, you will adjust remarkably easily. There are a couple of flaws, the first being the Wii Remote strap. Should you choose not to wear it, it often gets in the way of the buttons, which can cause you lose a race. Should you choose to wear it, you will feel rather awkward, and it CAN get in the way of gameplay. However, this is a minor annoyance, one that you will overlook quickly. On the other hand, one issue I have is use of the "2" button as the accelerator. Due to the fact you use this button more than the others, it should be comfortable. For those of you that didn't know, the 2 is very small, and your fingers (likely thumb) will hurt within minutes. This isn't as forgiving as the strap issue, but still, is only a minor issue. Overall, this set-up is what MK:Wii was built around, and it shows.

As for the other control methods, in my personal opinion, the Nunchuk and Remote combination is sloppy. Something about it just doesn't mesh with me, but being that it is an addition, it isn't really an issue. The Classic controller and Gamecube controller are both really tight, and feel like a good racing game should. However, once you experience the wheel, you likely won't go back to the pad.

One major thing lacking, that Brawl has, is customized controls. This just goes back to the fact that some configurations aren't as nice as others, or the pain one might endure from using the Wii Wheel. With four controller configurations, though, one may say that you have all the options in the world.

Carrying on, the sound is effective, but I wouldn't say it is astounding. The Sound effects were decent, hearing the engine rev, grinding on rails, etc. However, to me, music has always lacked in this series. It isn't to say it is bad, but sometimes the music doesn't seem to fit the theme of the stage, but music plays second fiddle in a game like this. As I said, you likely won't find memorable tunes, but it doesn't deter the game in any way, either.

While we are on the topic of stages, I might as well tell you there are 32 this time around. Half of them are brand new, or rather, variations on recurring themes, and original content, while the other half is composed of remakes from the SNES, GBA, DS, and Gamecube titles. The new stages, such as the mall stage, are really creative, and take every opportunity to show you why they belong. The re-creates received a graphical overhaul, and are much more fun....but some of these reproductions seem unfaithful to the originals. It isn't a big issue, and it adds to the "new car smell" of MK:Wii, but sometimes there is a point where one goes too far. This is hardly ever the case though, and Mario Kart Wii has a wide array of fun tracks, some difficult, some easier. The colors and new graphics are amazing, as are the stages in general.

We have touched on the controls, stages, and sound, thus far, and we may as well discuss MK:Wii's biggest flaws....graphics. As I mentioned above, the stages are crisp, works of art. Another thing to note is that the frame rate is smooth. At first glimpse, the characters are alright, but once you start playing, you see how faulty they really are. The most noticeable, spoiler warning right now......don't read this one line if you don't want to know, is with Series Veteran Diddy Kong. He honestly looks like a tin can painted brown and red, I really can't get over the horrendous character motifs. To be honest, one of my most recent reviews was on the DS installment, I honestly think that the characters in the DS title looked better. I was sick at the sight of some of the other 25 characters, but luckily, the menus and stages are nice looking....possibly the Graphics departments saving grace.

Now that we have discussed the worst part of the game, let's get more optimistic. Mario Kart Wii paves the way with a roster of 25, including two variations of your Mii's. Among them, you will find Mario, DK, Waluigi, Bowser, and numerous others you wouldn't dare expect to see. Much like Brawl, there are surprises around every corner.

Another plus is the addition of Motorcycles. These motorcycles are a little awkward at first, are narrower, and to me, feel faster then the karts. You can do wheelies on straight-aways to gain speed boosts, and race by the competition. Another new element is the inclusion of tricks. Assuming you use the Wii Remote (and wheel), pulling up after hitting one of the numerous jumps lets each character perform a trick. If done correctly, you will be privy to a mini-boost. This new element can make things much more competitive.

Mode wise, you have a few options; Single Player, Multiplayer (at home), and Wifi. Completing grand prix's in single player can score you karts, characters, and more. Another option is the TimeTrials. The best of Nintendo leave their ghosts behind on each of the levels, and offer incentive for beating them on each of the 32 levels. You can also enjoy multi-player activities with one person, such as battle and versus. Battle is the same as always, get items, knock off your opponents balloons, and win. There is also a challenge to see whom (or their team) can gain the most amount of coins within the time limit.

Multiplayer is very much the same as one player, and this is where the game becomes fun. If any of the aforementioned modes (vs, grand prix, or battle), interest you, then get some friends and invite them over, you won't regret that, unless of course they pay heed to the poor character models.

The online aspects were by far the most important addition to the Mario Kart series, and it runs smoothly on Nintendo's servers, a big improvement over Brawl, which was peer to peer (meaning, your connection was as good as your opponents). Friend codes return to my dismay, but the presence of a server makes up for it. Another nice advantage over Brawl is a ranking system online. Clearly this was one of the top priorities for this title. In fact, the races are just plain fun, and filled with havoc. I can actually ignore the poor character models during online play, it is that good!

So, we are left with a few more mini-topics. The first, is difficulty. Being that MK is a family friendly series, the learning curve is nil. Unlocking some of the karts and characters can be a tad difficult, but it just adds to the overall feel of the game. Another issue is replay value. Being that it is a multiplayer game, you will likely pick it up for years to come. Multiplayer helps it, but online enhances this. Another way to draw you back is beating those staff ghosts. Should you do it by a large window, you will unlock another staff ghost to give you a beating. Just like Brawl, and eery prior Mario Kart, you will be playing this title for years.

This installment has its' faults, the character models are pathetic, and the sound is mediocre at best. Online, and multiplayer in general, brilliant stage design, a wide variety of characters, and a myriad of new features keep the series fresh. The Wii Wheel is an excellent attachment, and Mario Kart Wii is built around it masterfully, for no extra charge (a phenomenal event, I might add!). You will enjoy this title if you can overlook some flaws.

Scores:

Story: Not Applicable for this title.

Presentation: I didn't touch on this much, but the menu's are nice, and loading times are fast.  9.5/10

Multiplayer/Online: Phenomenal, this is where the game shines! 10/10

Sound: Decent, nothing more, nothing less. Some tunes don't fit, and just don't seem right. 7/10

Graphics: Pathetic is all that can describe the character models, but the stages and menu's look good.  6/10

Game Play and Controls: The Wii Wheel works wonders, but is a tad painful. Lack of custom controls is a problem                                                                                                                                            8/10

Other: Difficulty is good for families. Lots of nostalgia. Unlockables and replay value present!  9/10

Overall (not an average): This game had lots of potential, but some things held it back. Multiplayer, presentation, and gameplay all help out though! 8/10

But what does an 8/10 mean? An 8 is a game that fans of a genre will enjoy, and may attract outsiders. Typically games that are just short of amazing, and have at least one, but no more than two glaring flaws. An 8 out of 10 is a high ranking.

_

Only for NSF, NS2, and members of the Shadowshr network. DO NOT COPY WITHOUT PERMISSION OR CREDIT.

_

Please comment, this is my return to reviewing, and I am definitely rusty.

Tupin

Very good job Mack, as always.

I hear this game has so much rubber band AI it isn't even funny. Like even for a Mario Kart game, it is ridiculous.

Can't wait to actually have a good experience with Wii online, but some of the character models could have been done on a first generation DS game.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

HTA!

I feel the biggest addition of this title is the more subtle additions to the racing itself.

The addition of Half-Pipes, Jumps, and Jump/Trick boosts was IMO one of the biggest improvements over double dash.

It gives you a feel of more speed, more freedom in the race, and more fun over-all.

The one gripe I have is the insane amount of good items that appear now, like numerous lightning bolts in one race, bullet bills every 30 seconds, etc.
Its fun, alot of fun, but I've gone from 1st to 12th on the final leg of a race many a time!  :D

HTA!

Oh, and the strap doesn't get in the way at all  :|

SkyMyl

I take the wrist strap and tie it around the top of the Wii Wheel, as it gets annoying both ways.

I really don't have any problems with the graphics. To me, they aren't as good as Brawl, or as SMG, but they're still good.

You forgot one...little thing. Unlockables and the difficulty of them. It's ridiculous! :O

Anyway, good review Mack. I believe it deserves an 8.5/10, but that's me.

Macawmoses

Quote from: Hector_the_Axe on April 30, 2008, 04:41:54 AM
I feel the biggest addition of this title is the more subtle additions to the racing itself.

The addition of Half-Pipes, Jumps, and Jump/Trick boosts was IMO one of the biggest improvements over double dash.

It gives you a feel of more speed, more freedom in the race, and more fun over-all.

The one gripe I have is the insane amount of good items that appear now, like numerous lightning bolts in one race, bullet bills every 30 seconds, etc.
Its fun, alot of fun, but I've gone from 1st to 12th on the final leg of a race many a time!  :D
My first line was intended to tell you I was a little lazy, I didn't even touch down on the items, as I couldn't assess them properly. Being that it is racing is enough. And I have too! :D

As for the strap, I tried many different ways, and no matter what, it was either uncomfortable or a nuisance.

As for the .5 difference MYL, I review games rather hard. To me, MK:DS was a solid 9,maybe better, but this title just wasn't as good. Although, different opinions are how reviews came about.

HTA!

Quote from: mackormoses on April 30, 2008, 03:27:04 PM

My first line was intended to tell you I was a little lazy, I didn't even touch down on the items, as I couldn't assess them properly. Being that it is racing is enough. And I have too! :D

As for the strap, I tried many different ways, and no matter what, it was either uncomfortable or a nuisance.

As for the .5 difference MYL, I review games rather hard. To me, MK:DS was a solid 9,maybe better, but this title just wasn't as good. Although, different opinions are how reviews came about.

I put the strap through the hole and it is almost like it isn't there.

Or you could always take it off  ::)

Macawmoses

Quote from: Hector_the_Axe on April 30, 2008, 03:39:36 PM

We are assuming we play by the rules ::)

HTA!

Quote from: mackormoses on April 30, 2008, 03:48:15 PM

I thought Nazi's don't need rules  ::)

Anyway, good review for so soon after the game's release.
I need your number, its in the thread right?

Macawmoses

Quote from: Hector_the_Axe on April 30, 2008, 03:50:38 PM
Quote from: mackormoses on April 30, 2008, 03:48:15 PM

I thought Nazi's don't need rules  ::)

Anyway, good review for so soon after the game's release.
I need your number, its in the thread right?
Thanks, I obsessed over MK to get the review done :P

And no, my wifi is still down, my only online experience was at a friends house.

PXD

Your return to reviewing? I should count myself lucky that review-commenting has no negative side effects over long periods of inactivity.

At any rate, let's see what the damage is, hm?

Mario Kart is a legendary series, for good cause. Since its' debut on the Super Nintendo, it has dominated the sales charts, and enthralled many. The basic premise is this, characters from the Mario universe drive karts, they race, they win, and we play one of the best multiplayer series out there to date.

"Mario Kart is a legendary series, and for good reason. Since its' debut on the Super Nintendo in *insert date, if not, year here*, it's dominated the sales charts with a continual barrage of rehashed, improved versions, and has enthralled many by providing an engaging multiplayer experience that has recently gone online via Wi-Fi. The basic premise is simple to understand: Well-known icons of the Mario universe drive karts in a race where anything can (and typically does) happen. The mere option of mixing things up on the racetrack proves effective enough to land Mario Kart among the top multiplayer series out there to date."

I'm pretty big on contractions. That's not to say that excluding a contraction is a bad thing - it does, however, make the review seem much less like an application to some far-off college of your dreams and more like a review for fans of video-games. And let's not forget a few punctuation errors...oh my, yes.

Counting the arcade releases, this is the eighth Mario Kart game, a rather impressive pedigree, dating across numerous consoles, and handhelds. How does Mario Kart Wii compare to the rest? This seemed a tad awkward to me, seeing as you placed it in-between two other paragraphs. I'd stick it in the first one, just because it sounds like something that'd be nice to have in the intro paragraph. The sentences could also be fixed a bit to have less commas - it just looks too...weird, in my opinion, especially with you asking how the series stacks up and then going off on Nintendo's other releases (which could be removed as it doesn't entirely relate to MKWii, or make it sound more like it holds some connection to the game you're reviewing).

For those of you that have been living under a rock, Nintendo promised a new "Wii Wheel" just for Mario Kart, and likely to be used in the future. If you mean there's a chance the Wii Wheel will see more action, "and something likely to be used in future game titles." would suffice, I think.

One major thing lacking, that Brawl has, is customized controls. "Unlike with Brawl, the major thing that's lacking is customizable control options."

It isn't to say it is bad, but sometimes the music doesn't seem to fit the theme of the stage, but music plays second fiddle in a game like this. As I said, you likely won't find memorable tunes, but it doesn't deter the game in any way, either. Both sentences seem like you're basically saying the same thing twice: The music isn't astounding (while not being entirely horrible), but it's not a huge issue for MKWii. "It isn't to say the music's bad (which sometimes fails to fit the theme of the stage you choose to race on), but for the Mario Kart series, having a fantastic soundtrack isn't what the game is focused on, and shouldn't be a huge issue if you grab a copy."

Never assume that everyone has the game you're reviewing, no matter how likely or unlikely it may be. I, for one, currently lack MKWii, and for good reason (no Wi-Fi, so I don't see a huge point for me to get it).

While we are on the topic of stages, I might as well tell you there are 32 this time around. Oh, you're too KIND, MoM! Telling me there's 32 stages; you shouldn't have! Well I'd be surprised if you left that fact out. It's a review, so...you're bound to include it. "While on the topic, the number of stages this time around has been moved up to 32."

We have touched on the controls, stages, and sound, thus far, and we may as well discuss MK:Wii's biggest flaws....graphics. That can simply be changed to: "In terms of graphics..." and then continue on with the next sentence. We don't need a recap of everything you've discussed at the start of every new section - no offense :]

As I mentioned above, the stages are crisp, works of art. Take out the comma and add "with a smooth frame rate - a nice benefit." in place of 'another thing to note'

Also make sure to give both the stages and the characters their equal spot in the sunlight. You seem to touch on the graphics only briefly beofre going on to character graphics. Just like with evenly-sized paragraphs, evenly-sized amounts of detail for every aspect of the game is a nice inclusion to have.

The most noticeable, spoiler warning right now......don't read this one line if you don't want to know, is with Series Veteran Diddy Kong. Unless mistaken, I'm pretty sure NSF features a spoiler button when you're on the 'post reply/topic' page. Use it.

Now that we have discussed the worst part of the game, let's get more optimistic. Like I mentioned before, I'd opt to change this or take it out entirely.

Another plus is the addition of Motorcycles. For the first time in the Mario Kart series, you'll be given the chance to drive something other than a kart; in this case, a motorcycle.

These are a little awkward at first, are narrower, and to me, feel faster then the karts. When you get behind the wheel of a motorcycle for the first time, it'll definitely be a bit awkward, with an added narrow factor and a slight speed increase compared to karts (though that might depend on the person playing the game than an actual game element).

You can also enjoy multi-player activities with one person, such as battle and versus. I'm not sure why you typed 'multiplayer' previously and now switch to 'multi-player', but...oh well.

Battle is the same as always, get items, knock off your opponents balloons, and win. There is also a challenge to see whom (or their team) can gain the most amount of coins within the time limit. Battle is the same as always: Get items, knock off your opponents' balloons, and win. There's also a challenge to see which individual or team can gain the most amount of coins within the time limit.

Being that MK is a family friendly series, the learning curve is nil. Remove the other parts before this and leave it at that.

Online Wi-Fi, a myriad of new features, an additional vehicle control option, and tons of other details make up for the negative aspects of the game, however. The Wii Wheel is an excellent attachment, and Mario Kart Wii is built around it masterfully, for no extra charge (a phenomenal event, I might add!). You will enjoy this title if you can overlook some flaws.

Overall (not an average): This game had lots of potential, but some things held it back. Multiplayer, presentation, and gameplay all help out though! 8/10 Avoid getting into TOO many details and just give a description on what an 8/10 means.
[/quote]

For some weird reason, I can just imagine you writing this at 3 in the morning, extremely exhausted but working hard to get this posted. Was it a hopefully-grand return to the world of reviewing? Eh, a good, valiant attempt in my eyes - an attempt that most certainly could've been better.

I'm on both sides of the lawn with this. There's parts I liked (surprisingly enough ;p), and there's obviously parts where I've left you my own suggestions for you to experiment with. It's been awhile since I've seen a review from you, so I'm pretty unfamiliar on where your reviewing level was when NSider closed. I can only hope you reach that level, and you can be sure I'll hold nothing back in an effort to get you to surpass it if I have anything to comment on - count on it.

I'm proud of you and the distance you've traveled Mack, but there's always room for improvement. How much improvement your NEXT review will need...well, that's all up to you.

Macawmoses

PXD, a few things on your comments.

1. You don't have to beg for my forgiveness, you and I both know what a critique is ;)
2. Yes, this review was very rushed, once again, it comes down to reaching the consumer. Do we worry about pumping out a fully polished review, or do we get them the facts first? Hopefully we can find a balance, but in this case, it was a race against the clock.
3. Why yes, there is a spoiler button, and I hate spoilers in reviews, but this review was posted at numerous places, each with a different code. It would be too hard to go back and make all of the necessary edits more so than I already did.
4. As for my return, who is to say I will keep reviewing? I love the game, but it is a very time consuming one, one that yields little respect, no matter how wonderful the diction, no matter how many hours you put into the review to help the buyer make a decision.
5. Actually, it is pretty obvious there are 32 levels when you put the disc in, they show the slots :P

I thank you for your time spent on the critique PXD, you know me well enough to know that you would have to virtually insult every line for absolutely no reason to offend me. I realize the time you took to help me, and it means a lot to me. It has been a long time since I reviewed, in fact, my last review was on Mario Kart DS, which is why I picked this very title to review. I may not be the best reviewer, but you can't count me out. This board is mine, and if it isn't now, you may as well call me heir.

EDIT: As for the time, you weren't too far off, it was late enough for me.

Macawmoses

This won NCR at NS2, and is featured on the front page.......yay?

SkyMyl

Quote from: mackormoses on May 09, 2008, 05:45:40 PM
This won NCR at NS2, and is featured on the front page.......yay?
Congratulations?

The Seventh

Nice review!  Although, I think you were a little too crtitical on the graphics.  I realize that Mario Kart has never had the best graphics (take a look at games like MK:DD, and compare it to games like Metroid Prime or Super Mario Sunshine), but they don't look THAT bad.
meh