News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Death Metal Anyone?

Started by tibar21, August 22, 2008, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Level_9_Chao

Yeah, I'm more into hardcore, like Set Your Goals and Four Year Strong, but I know s*** about music so saying it's hardcore is probably a misnomer.

I like Nightwish but that's symphonic metal.

And yeah, one thing that's been killing me. There was this band that I heard on iTunes maybe 5 months ago, and from what I remember it was, like, female fronted screamo, as in the singer. Might've had some black metal thrown in there too. If I remember, they had one of those weird names that's spelled kinda weird, but hell, every metal band is like that. I also might just be forgetting.

This has been killing me. Any suggestions/ideas?

Oh, and if you're totally lost, I think they're kinda like Wykked Wytch but a fair bit lighter.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

ninja

Quote from: Level_9_Chao on September 02, 2008, 07:55:53 PM
Yeah, I'm more into hardcore, like Set Your Goals and Four Year Strong, but I know s*** about music so saying it's hardcore is probably a misnomer.

I like Nightwish but that's symphonic metal.

And yeah, one thing that's been killing me. There was this band that I heard on iTunes maybe 5 months ago, and from what I remember it was, like, female fronted screamo, as in the singer. Might've had some black metal thrown in there too. If I remember, they had one of those weird names that's spelled kinda weird, but hell, every metal band is like that. I also might just be forgetting.

This has been killing me. Any suggestions/ideas?

Oh, and if you're totally lost, I think they're kinda like Wykked Wytch but a fair bit lighter.

Yeah, I occasionally enjoy Nightwish, but not something I listen to often.  Symphonic metal isn't always my thing.  I'm not too big a fan of the slow female vocals, but I do thoroughly enjoy "Shadowsouls" by Imperanon (album: stained).  It is more of a black metal/power metal though IMO... but I'm not sure what they technically are.

Not sure what band you're talking about.  Sir Petenik may know, he knows more about metal than myself.

Quote from: Hector_the_Axe on September 02, 2008, 07:03:15 PM
What do you call this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnDEFyV88Qs
Because I like the occasional ATR now and again.

All That Remains is Metalcore.  Some may argue that the vocals are Hardcore with a bit of hardcore chugga chugga guitar, but overall the band is a Metalcore band.

HTA!

Chloroform?

This thread has an incredible amount of bad generalizations. It's almost laughable.

Also, I don't really like death metal at all. The vocals usually turn me off.

Beatnik

Guys...  I'm amazed  by how hard some of you fail at categorizing music.

On topic, I listen to death metal. I'm not one of those guys who listens to it exclusively, but when I'm in the mood for it I like some of the smarter stuff like Death and Atheist. Death metal made for a select audience, and basing your opinion on it on a 30 second clip of some random band you picked is mega-stupid.

Quote from: Chloroform? on September 20, 2008, 08:00:46 AM
This thread has an incredible amount of bad generalizations. It's almost laughable.
Just "almost?"
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Zovistograt

Quote from: Beatnik on September 20, 2008, 01:10:13 PM
Guys...  I'm amazed  by how hard some of you fail at categorizing music.

On topic, I listen to death metal. I'm not one of those guys who listens to it exclusively, but when I'm in the mood for it I like some of the smarter stuff like Death and Atheist. Death metal made for a select audience, and basing your opinion on it on a 30 second clip of some random band you picked is mega-stupid.
hmm...it is true that people do the same to some types of electronic music.  Labeling all of it as techno is dead wrong (most electronic music isn't techno at all :P).

The problem is that people have instilled taste, and things that are on the outer extremes of the spectrum (death metal...gabber/speedcore) are said to be just annoying, or whatever.  I don't like death metal simply because when I want hard music, I always prefer electronic.  It's hard to compare the hardness of something like gabber, breakcore, hardstyle, or speedcore to the likes of death metal because they are simply different in their own right.

But that's just coming from my electronic-music-loving-most-rock-is-meh approach to music.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

ninja

It's just like when people put Happy Hardcore and Trance into the same genre.  Sure, they can both be considered techno, but it's like putting NuMetal and Black Metal in the same category, because they're both types of metal (haha, I still don't understand numetal being considered new metal...)

Well, everyone's favorite death metal bands?

Opeth takes the cake for me.

Beatnik

Once in a while I'll listen to one of the more traditional stuff like Cannibal Corpse, Cyrptopsy or Aborted, but usually that stuff gets old fast. Too much focus on being loud and fast, not enough focus on doing something interesting.

Black metal, on the other hand, is one of the few genres of music that actually tries to expand the borders of the genre. Of course, there will always be bands like Sargeist who just immitate other bands, but guys like Wolves in the Throneroom and Darkestrah do some really inventive stuff.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Dill

Is anyone here familiar with the term Southern Rock? Because that's pretty much what every calls death metal, black metal, viking metal, and whatnot around here. It's fairly close to being the most popular genre at all the clubs. It's very rare that you'll go to a show and not have 3/5 of the bands playing be Southern Rock.

They aren't my tastes, and I would never listen to them by choice, but I love going to shows where there's a big crowd. I, myself, have never witnessed anyone die, but I know plenty of people that have called me at around three in the morning, bawling because they just saw some small girl get massacred by the dancers.

ninja

Where I live, the kids that hardcore dance at death metal shows are the ones that get the crap beat out of them.

Hooray that 24 crew is dead, bunch of pussies that they are.

Dill

Quote from: ninja on September 22, 2008, 09:50:15 PM
Where I live, the kids that hardcore dance at death metal shows are the ones that get the crap beat out of them.

Hooray that 24 crew is dead, bunch of pussies that they are.

To me, that just doesn't make sense. If you dance here, that's considered a non-verbal way of telling the band that you're enjoying their music. So even if you're the only one dancing, chances are the band will come up to you after the show and thank you.

ninja

Depends on what kind of music you're listening to for what kind of dance you give people.

Normally, death metal shows involve the Wall of Death and circlepits

myself, I prefer to go to ska shows and skank it up.  I just did this last night haha, but I fell asleep before it finished uploading onto youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNLHrB4ItQs

bababoosh skankin ftw

PsychoYoshi

Death metal and thrash metal form the border of 'loudness' that I'll willingly listen to in music. There are certain bands in both genres that I will/won't listen to. Typically, the difference between whether I will or won't listen depends on how melodic they are. The more dissonant and mosh-y a band gets (lol hi slayer), the more turned off I get. I'll listen to Opeth and In Flames on occasion, and I also enjoy Metallica and Megadeth. However, I don't listen to these songs continually...they're perhaps a once-every-hour-on-my-playlist kind of thing.

Beatnik

Quote from: PsychoYoshi on September 24, 2008, 07:14:34 AM
The more dissonant and mosh-y a band gets (lol hi slayer), the more turned off I get.

I understand that completely. I listen to stuff that's unlistenable to even a large portion of the metal community, and even I don't care much for Slayer. It also doesn't help that Tom Araya is a total choad.

Level_9_Chao

Quote from: ninja on September 24, 2008, 06:46:17 AM
Depends on what kind of music you're listening to for what kind of dance you give people.

Normally, death metal shows involve the Wall of Death and circlepits

myself, I prefer to go to ska shows and skank it up.  I just did this last night haha, but I fell asleep before it finished uploading onto youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNLHrB4ItQs

bababoosh skankin ftw

I wish I could skank like that. My technique is atrocious.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.