<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Death Metal Anyone?

Started by tibar21, August 22, 2008, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tibar21

Quote from: Java_Java on December 15, 2008, 09:41:33 AM
Quote from: tibar21 on December 15, 2008, 08:25:05 AM
if you think pop-punk is so radio friendly, go listen to give me one good reason by blink-182. you obviously don't know what ur talking about. the main attribute of punk is sending a political message or at least having rebelling lyrics.. last I check Green Day doesn't really do that. they only have the muted guitars which gives it a punk sound. even Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols said that Green Day wasn't punk at all. Green Day is just an alternative rock band.
LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO.
Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

Did you not listen to American Idiot?
Hell even the title AMERICAN IDIOT.

How about Holiday?
What about the lyrics in there...

well this is what Chloroform said:

"And for the record nothing really off their new album could be considered to "characterize" the band at all."

stay out of my argument.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Zero

May I ask if you remember what exactly you listened to? The artist(s)?

Chances are it wasn't even death metal.

tibar21

Quote from: Zero on December 15, 2008, 12:18:23 PM

a hole bunch of bands with satanic names.
there was also a band called braindrill.

Zero

Quote from: tibar21 on December 15, 2008, 12:24:10 PM

Death Metal and Satanism don't really coincide. The only one off the top of my head I can think of is Deicide, Morbid Angel maybe, but that's debatable. Either some Black Metal bands were thrown in there or you're mistaking morbidity/vulgarity for satanic imagery. I highly doubt it was the former because Black Metal and iTunes don't get a long very well.

Braindrill? Well there's one. A "hole bunch" more to go.

Beatnik

And even if he was talking about Black Metal, it wouldn't matter. Black Metal is just as legitimate a genre as any other. LIke death metal, much of it is crap, but the smarter bands and artists create some incredibly intricate music.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Zero

Well said.

I was just curious as to who exactly he listened to. I suppose it doesn't matter, just bored.

tibar21

Quote from: Zero on December 15, 2008, 12:32:34 PM

Death Metal and Satanism don't really coincide. The only one off the top of my head I can think of is Deicide, Morbid Angel maybe, but that's debatable. Either some Black Metal bands were thrown in there or you're mistaking morbidity/vulgarity for satanic imagery. I highly doubt it was the former because Black Metal and iTunes don't get a long very well.

how can you say death metal and satanism don't coincide.
that's like saying punk and skateboarding don't go together
if you search death metal on the iTunes Store (who catorgorizes their genres pretty well) you'll find hundreds of death metal bands with songs with satanic titles. Even their names are satanic.

Zero

Quote from: tibar21 on December 16, 2008, 02:59:06 PM
Quote from: Zero on December 15, 2008, 12:32:34 PM

how can you say death metal and satanism don't coincide.
that's like saying punk and skateboarding don't go together
if you search death metal on the iTunes Store (who catorgorizes their genres pretty well) you'll find hundreds of death metal bands with songs with satanic titles. Even their names are satanic.

lol

You don't know what you're talking about. Define "satanic". I'm actually referring to lyrical themes and as to whether the bands themselves are satanic, which, most aren't. It's all imagery for the most part. Granted, there are a few bands here and there, but the genre as a whole isn't associated with Satanism.

HTA!

I guess this makes Iron Maiden satanic cultists.

Really man, think before you speak...

metroidhunter777

Quote from: HTA on December 16, 2008, 03:39:23 PM
I guess this makes Iron Maiden satanic cultists.

Really man, think before you speak...

And a Death Metal band... try New Wave of English Heavy Metal...

Iron Maiden HAS always been on the darker side of things, though... but that doesn't stop me from liking them. :p

Beatnik

He wasn't calling them a death metal band. He was making the point that Satanic themes don't make you Satanic.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Chloroform?

if you think pop-punk is so radio friendly, go listen to give me one good reason by blink-182. you obviously don't know what ur talking about. the main attribute of punk is sending a political message or at least having rebelling lyrics.. last I check Green Day doesn't really do that. they only have the muted guitars which gives it a punk sound. even Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols said that Green Day wasn't punk at all. Green Day is just an alternative rock band.

I said "POP PUNK ISN'T REALLY PUNK, IT'S JUST BANDS THAT TOOK PUNK ELEMENTS AND MADE IT MORE RADIO FRIENDLY."

And Blink 182 is incredibly radio friendly and mainstream. More so than even Green Day in the 90s. The whole reason it's called "Pop-punk" is because it's POP with PUNK elements. Hence POP PUNK. How can you possibly think that it won't be radio friendly? You seem to act like you have some sort of authority over the classification of music even though you don't know what you're talking about. You should look up some definitions of genres maybe, and possibly even branch out and listen to things outside the pop-punk/alternative genre, before acting like the all knowing music collector with a wide variety of tastes.

tibar21

Quote from: Chloroform? on December 17, 2008, 04:32:55 PM

I said "POP PUNK ISN'T REALLY PUNK, IT'S JUST BANDS THAT TOOK PUNK ELEMENTS AND MADE IT MORE RADIO FRIENDLY."

And Blink 182 is incredibly radio friendly and mainstream. More so than even Green Day in the 90s. The whole reason it's called "Pop-punk" is because it's POP with PUNK elements. Hence POP PUNK. How can you possibly think that it won't be radio friendly? You seem to act like you have some sort of authority over the classification of music even though you don't know what you're talking about. You should look up some definitions of genres maybe, and possibly even branch out and listen to things outside the pop-punk/alternative genre, before acting like the all knowing music collector with a wide variety of tastes.
blink-182 has songs called "f**k a dog, Grandpa is an assehole, happy holidays you bastard, when you f**ked Granpa, and sex with his sister."  Just because a band's select group of songs that appeal to mainstream audiences are radio friendly it doesn't tottally classify the genre they play. Overall They're definitely not a "radio friendly band."
You probably only say that they are because you've only heard "All the small things, I miss you," etc.
They're pop punk and in my opinion the best poppunk band, but they have an edge to their music. You probably haven't even heard their early stuff which is a lot better than their later stuff.
there's plenty of punk/alternative bands have not radiofriendly songs like
Green Day- Platypus (I hate you)
Mxpx- Chop Shop
Bowling For Soup- Next Ex-Girlfriend
Green Day-St. Jimmy
Pennywise- F**k Authority

I'm not outside the poppunk/alternative genre? 

You have no idea what I listen to. Just going through some of my iTunes
The Adicts, AFI (early stuff), Bad Religion, Bouncing Souls, the Clash, Cockney Rejects, Dead Kennedys, Goldfinger,
NOFX, Pennywise, The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Sex Pistols, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Subhumans,
Vandals, Mad Parade, 7 Seconds, and Welt. Some of the most inventive and creative music out there.

Beatnik

Once again, that's not a very diverse group.

Just because I'm bored, I decided to sort those bands by genre to make my point a little clearer.

Punk rock: The Addicts, Bad Religion The Bouncing Souls, The Clash, Cockney Rejects, Dead Kennedys, Goldfinger, NOFX, Pennywise, The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Sex Pistols, Social Distortion, Subhumans, Vandals and 7 Seconds.

Other: Smashing Pumpkins and AFI, although AFI has some stuff thats borderline punk.

Couldn't find: Mad Parade and Welt.

Chloroform?

It's still pop-punk, it doesn't have the edge that legit punk has because they care about how much money they make too much and cater towards pop culture. I actually listen to/have listened to most of the music you talk about, but you seem to be stuck in the bubble of what you listen to. Just cause a song has a "bad word" doesn't mean it's not directed to the mainstream audience.

Also like Beatnik said, all those bands ARE pop-punk, punk, and alternative. That doesn't mean they're bad, but you can't possibly call yourself someone who branches out and listens to all sorts of genres when you really have like, 3 genres (that are all pretty closely related) worth of taste. Also I laugh at you calling it "the most inventive and creative music out there." I'm not knocking their music or anything, but even they would laugh at someone saying that (except for a few like Green Day who seem to think they're musical geniuses even though over half their songs are made up of three chords).