News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Ranking Pixar's films / your opinions on them.

Started by Nayrman, May 26, 2009, 05:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

While looking at IGN, one of their many inherently pointless lists caught my eye. They decided to rank Pixar's films since their inception.
Well, here's their list (you can head to their site to read as to why this order):
9. Cars
8. Monsters Inc.
7. A Bug's Life
6. Ratatoullie
5. Finding Nemo
4. The Incredibles
3. Toy Story 2
2. Wall-E
1. Toy Story

Now, I'll have my order as to why.
9. Cars - Seriously, even George Lucas on the best writing day of his life, Stephen Speilberg on the best directing day of his life, and the best John William's score ever couldn't make Nascar interesting. Not to mention it's way too kiddy, and the whole "winning isn't everything" moral is so overdone, cliche'd and kind of stupid considering every time Pixar makes a movie the academy might as well just hand them the oscar.

8. Finding Nemo - Basically because nothing really happens. Nemo get captured, his father walks (swims) around to get him back. Story is so bare bones it's quite snoozeworthy. Although, I did like the side characters, and frankly no one has made underwater look so refreshing.

7. Ratatoullie - Another idea that has been done before (can't name the cartoon, but I KNOW it's been done before), few laughs, but I can at least tell they tried.

6. Monster's Inc. - Boring characters and no real plot until the end makes this movie another dud in my opinion. Not to mention an old Nickelodean cartoon "Ahhh! Real Monsters!" did this concept a million times better back in the early 90's, with better visuals to boot. At least the monsters had some good designs and it had a couple of good laughs.

5. A Bug's Life - While boring at parts, it is a decent enough idea to where the writers and designers could be creative enough to have fun with it. While the ultimate problem is quite trivial it at least get's the fact that it's an actual problem across. Just some flat performances and some boring scenes holds it down a bit.

4. Wall-E - A visually appealing and nice story. I also like the lack of voice work (mostly). Although an all silent film would have been a more interesting film (well, from a film student's perspective anyway), it is a good idea for the design of the film. Although, frankly the whole "robots having human emotions" has been going on a LONG time (hell, even Metropolis issued this to a certain extent). Like most Pixar films, overrated as all hell, but it at least deserves praise.

3. Toy Story 2 - Pretty much the ONLY good sequel to a Disney movie ever made (although I pray there never be a Toy Story 3), it just feels like a continuation of the previous story. Good movie, good laughs, just not as good characters or growth of the first film.

2. Toy Story - I remember seeing this in theaters when it came out in '95, and like everyone being blown away. Wonderful idea, characters who are actually developed (looks at all non-Pixar Disney ANYTHING since the "renaissance" of the 90's besides Lion King **which btw, is a Kimba the White Lion copy...had to say it**). Not to mention with toys you could easily do anything you want and it'll still be plausible. Only problem is that the moral is a little corny as you get older, but a perfect kids film, and still enjoyable regardless. Not to mention the look (despite it's age) is still wonderful.

1. The Incredibles - In my opinion, EASILY Pixar's best film (IGN, Wall-E can go suck it if you think that movie is better than the Incredible's). Also the deepest in terms of satire, and character development. Great caricature look, and humor of the usual superhero cliche's ( "You caught me monologueing!" ), not to mention probably the most challenging of subject matter in terms of anything Pixar is willing to go into. I still enjoy this movie even today.

Obviously I'm going to ask you what your list is, and why. So go ahead with that. Also, what is your opinion of Pixar as a whole? I think they're an above average animation company, that is unfortunately shackled to the evil heartless Disney corporation. This means that they'll always be stuck making kids movies, with little to no attempt to make any really challenging or deep material (sure Incredibles and Toy Story were great, but honestly, Batman the Animated series had LOTS more depth). I do give them credit when they deserve it though. Not to mention besides Shrek (which is STILL overrated) no studio has produced anything even remotely decent in the CGI department. I just want to see if they'll ever get to try even ONE more mature film, they deserve the shot. I'd love to see them try, but I doubt that'll ever happen. 

Tupin

To me, only two Pixar films fail to live up to being animation masterpieces, Cars and A Bugs Life.

Cars was just an odd departure, and describing a post I saw on a movie board when it came out; "You know how when you get straight A's on everything but one time you get a B- and you're disappointed but you're still satisfied with it? That's what this movie is like."

A Bugs Life...I don't know, I don't think it has aged well. Hopefully the newer movies are better, here's the release schedule for the next few years:

2009: Up (Can't wait to see it)
2010: Toy Story 3 (Hope this one is good...)
2011: Cars 2 (The sequel to my least favorite Pixar movie. Could be good, I guess)
2011: The Bear and the Bow (Partially based on an old Irish fairytale)
2012: Newt (Honestly wish this was coming out next year, has the most interesting premise)

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on May 26, 2009, 05:57:47 PM
To me, only two Pixar films fail to live up to being animation masterpieces, Cars and A Bugs Life.

Cars was just an odd departure, and describing a post I saw on a movie board when it came out; "You know how when you get straight A's on everything but one time you get a B- and you're disappointed but you're still satisfied with it? That's what this movie is like."

A Bugs Life...I don't know, I don't think it has aged well. Hopefully the newer movies are better, here's the release schedule for the next few years:

2009: Up (Can't wait to see it)
2010: Toy Story 3 (Hope this one is good...)
2011: Cars 2 (The sequel to my least favorite Pixar movie. Could be good, I guess)
2011: The Bear and the Bow (Partially based on an old Irish fairytale)
2012: Newt (Honestly wish this was coming out next year, has the most interesting premise)
Up - been done but could be interesting, not to mention nothing else this summer looks even remotely good (Star Trek I hear was "meh" but nothing on Iron Man or Dark Knight's scale)
Toy Story 3 - for the love of god why won't people LEAVE A GOOD THING ALONE. Disney got BEYOND lucky for 2.
Cars 2 - for the love of god no! I don't care how much Nascar is paying you guys, it's not worth it.
The Bear and the Bow - I thought Disney got over the fairytale stuff in the early 90's. Could be good, but all fairytale movies have the potential to be boring kiddy-fests.
Newt - never heard of....what's it about?

Tupin

Newt's premise, as explained by Wikipedia:

QuoteNewt and Brooke live in a community college science lab and don't care for each other, yet as the last remaining blue-footed newts on the planet they are forced to mate and save the species.

Like I said, interesting premise.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on May 26, 2009, 06:27:45 PM
Newt's premise, as explained by Wikipedia:

Like I said, interesting premise.
and since it's Disney the whole "mating" thing will probably get overlooked.

But yes, sounds very intriguing. I pray Disney doesn't screw it up by placing needless "boundaries" on it.

I still demand a story about a clown and a mime teaming up for whatever reason. I mean common that stuff practically writes itself (or a captain Marvel movie. Seriously how does that guy not have a movie?!)

Macawmoses

Eh, the list seems fine. I do agree that the Incredibles is one of their best, but I fell in love with Monsters Inc. It was fresh and original, and it just offered something the other don't. I don't quite recall what, but it has a spark to it. Easily one of my favorite movies.

In terms of the company itself, it does feel like it has gone downhill. Very far down. Perhaps my issue is the animation style in general. Not a fan of the looks of things like "Up" at all. Hell, Wall-E mad me off. Furthermore, I think the creative departments have just gotten dumber over the years. The concepts seem less and less appealing, and we're seeing sequels before new properties. Pah!

Shujinco2

Monster's Inc needs to be higher, as do the Incredibles.

Toy Story is easily the most epic Pixar film ever.

And Wall-E needs to be farther down.

GreatGonzales106

9. Cars
8. WALL-E
7. Ratatouille
6. A Bug's Life
5. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story
2. Monsters, Inc.
1. The Incredibles

It's hard for me to give reasons, this is just the way I feel about it.

Magnum

9. Finding Nemo
8. Ratatouille
7. A Bug's Life
6. Toy Story 2
5. Cars
4. Monsters, Inc.
3. Toy Story
2. The Incredible
1. WALL-E

Yeah don't ask me why I just like them in this order.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

HTA!

Hey Nayr, everything has been done before.
There is no such thing as an original idea, just those that are more interesting than their predecessors.

I have 2 rankings-

A+ Bug's Life, Toy Story 1-2, Monster's Inc, Incredibles, Ratatouille

B All others

Didn't like Wall-E, loved Cars but it isn't in the same caliber as those above, and Nemo bored me.

Matt

Well, I might as well re-order the list to my liking. Not going to add reasons to why, as they aren't needed seeing this going to my ranking of them and only I need to know why.

9. Ratatoullie
8. Toy Story 2
7. Wall-E
6. Cars
5. Monsters Inc.
4. The Incredibles
3. Finding Nemo
2. A Bug's Life
1. Toy Story

I will say that I am not fond of the way I listed these, seeing I liked all of them... only thing I agree with on the list is Rataoullie being last. Out of all them it wasn't as entertaining compared to such a incredible film as "The Incredibles".

X-3

I've been fond of all of Pixar's movies, save Cars. (also, I haven't watched Wall-E) Not sure if I can make a list of favorites.

Nayrman

Teaser for Toy Story 3. Disney... leave a good thing alone. I mean honestly, you're worse than George Lucas when it comes to sequels to older properties. and thats pretty darn pathetic.
And it's in 3D... not joy. Seriously, will that gimmick please go away?

But still, it looks better than most of Pixar's recent romps.

Red

Quote from: Nayrman on May 29, 2009, 05:21:00 PM

Teaser for Toy Story 3. Disney... leave a good thing alone. I mean honestly, you're worse than George Lucas when it comes to sequels to older properties. and thats pretty darn pathetic.
And it's in 3D... not joy. Seriously, will that gimmick please go away?

But still, it looks better than most of Pixar's recent romps.
THIS BETTER BE GOOD.

Seriously, Disney better not be raping this franchise for a quick buck. They better put a poop load of effort into it.

Toy Story 1 & 2 are some of my favorite movies of all time.

Nayrman

*looks at every sequel Disney has EVER made not named Toy Story 2*

Yea... sad to say this is probably just a quick buck no effort will be put into... ;_;