News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

What got you into Anime?

Started by BOREDFOREVER, March 18, 2010, 09:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOREDFOREVER

I'm not a huge Anime fan.  I think the only ones I really liked were Cowboy Bebop and DBZ (only z, not DragonBall or GT), although I did watch a good bit of Trigun and Full Metal Alchemist.  But I still remember why I started watching DBZ.  It wasn't the art style so much as it was the attention to detail.  One of my favorite cartoons, Superman: The Animated Series was on at the time they were showing DBZ.    In Superman, the fights never lasted that long, and it wasn't really indepth.  Superman would take sojme huge swings, maybe someone would knock him through a wall, and there might be a roundhouse every once in a while. 

Then I see DBZ, with these incredible fights, more moves in five seconds than a full episode of Superman.  And not just generalized punches and kicks.  Body specific matial arts blows.  Blocks.  Furious combo trade offs.  Sure, sometimes they drew the tradeoffs without accentuating every move, but more often than not the fight itself told an incredibly detailed story.

Of course, later I was drawn into the human element they were always willing to add, or the saiyan element in the case of Goku and Vegita.  The risks they were willing to take with Vegita's physche finally paid off in the otherwise forgettable Majin boo storyline.  That character had an incredible cumlination, and then continues to eveolve again after that.

So we have a thread telling us what your first anime was.  But why did you get into more?  What really drew you to Anime?

Friendly Hostile

Various ones on between other cartoons I watched as a kid, ended up watching and getting into them while I waited for the shows to come on.

Turok

Wow, Fanboy, just replace Superman with Batman. That was it for me, I was way into Batman at the time, then one day I flipped the channel to Cartoon Network. Toonami happened to be on, at the time I had no idea what it was, so I watched, the commercial ended & DBZ came on. I was hooked. heck I taped most of the Buu Saga, I think they're still lying around here somewhere.

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]

Nayrman

Batman is so much better than Superman in terms of animated series. Fuck the new Adventures of Superman, they made the studio change Batman: The Animated Series' art style that was intercourse ing amazing.

ANYWAY, back on topic.
What got me into anime? Well I did like DBZ and the toonami block a lot, but I wouldn't consider myself into anime until I stayed up late one night in 2001 to watch Adult Swim. Trigun and Cowboy Bebop BLEW MY MIND.

BOREDFOREVER

I watched the crap out of Batman as well, but I remember watching Superman at the time.  They're both favorites, though.

Night the Lucario

I sense I'm going to get blasted for this, but... Pokemon. When I was four, maybe five, not sure, the Pokemon anime originally came out. I watched it every day, and it got to the point where my mom bought me the videotapes so I could watch it in the hour or two I was up while she wasn't.

After Johto ended, though, I stopped watching anime. Then, when we moved to Germany, a friend of mine showed me Deathnote(the Manga, I still need to watch the Anime...), and I really liked it. Dark, wonderfully delicious, and the characters were just as human as some of the people I had met in books. Even Ryuk. Recently I started watching Digimon, an anime I remember vaguely being interested in for a bit while waiting for a new season of Pokemon to come out.
When one lives by the pen, one dies by the angry characters you misused. But it's too much fun not to!
Forsooth, I AM insane! FEAR ME, YE MORTALS, OR DESPAIR AT MY INSANITY! *insane cackling*
Ahem. Anyone have an RP? I need an outlet for my randomness. ;D
Think another thought, dream another dream, live another lie.
I'm writing poetry. Anyone have a request?
I'm Night the Lucario. Although that should be obvious. Just look at the sig. Or title and PT.

Magnum

"Wait, your telling me that Pokemon isn't a cartoon? Neither is Yu Yu Hakusho? They are 'Ani-may'? I wonder what else is 'Ani-may'..."

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Zero

Dragonball Z really, same as you sort of. I was an avid super hero kid when I was like 4-5. I loved Spider Man, Bat Man, SuperMan, Hulk, The X-Men, Spawn, and Green Lanturn as a kid. Then I watched Dragonball Z for the first time on WB when it first came to America...needless to say, I was amazed. From then until about the time Full Metal Alchemist ended I would have considered myself an anime fan. DBZ, Dragonball, DBGT, Rouroni Kenshin, Trigun, FLCL, Big O, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, Cowboy Bebop, G Gundam, Bleach, and Ghost in the Shell were and still are the only animes I truly appreciate. I just never have been able to get into any others and frankly, the quality of anime seems to be depreciating. That being said, I was pleased when I was introduced into Hunter X Hunter, because it really isn't bad at all.

Sgt.Chilly

Dragonball.

No not Dragonball Z.  The original kung fu flying, magic and wizard inhabited, giant monster infested, robot fightin', wacky interesting characters havin', bizarre original villain plottin', sugar injected goodness that was Dragonball.  It was more interesting than DBZ and all the characters felt unique and creative and they had a major role in the story. Even PUAR.

So_So_Man

Pokemon and Digimon originally, more recently it was the first few episodes of the english dub of Naruto.  From there, I went on to watching it all subbed on Youtube, and when I got bored of waiting for the next episode to be released I started reading the manga (starting with Mangahut, then moving to Onemanga).  From there I just started reading everything.

Well I was watching Speed Racer, DB/DBZ, Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptor Sakura, way back when they were coming on broadcast tv before I knew what anime was and that they were anime. Then at some point during Pokemon/Digimon is when I found out what anime was but it was just cartoons for me though. I still watched pretty much any cartoon that came on Fox Kids, Kids WB, and whatever other stations were running cartoons back then.

But when I got super into anime was in late 2007 when somebody here posted that dog scene from Elfen Lied where the kids kill it and then that thing happens to them. I thought that was cool so I checked it out and hooked at that point. After that I found FMA which was also really cool. Though if I had cable or satellite I probably would have gotten into it much sooner and not missed out on some things.
...̅̅̅

K-Cee

I always used to watch Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and Totally Spies as a kid. But I didn't really consider that anime. I started watching Bleach recently by force. My ex and his sister made me, and that's where the love began.

MoS

Toonami. I used to always watch DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing. Good stuff.

Chris8492

Quote from: Masterofsword on March 26, 2010, 04:46:26 AM
Toonami. I used to always watch DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing. Good stuff.

Yeah, that was my starter for anime too. Toonami was an awesome anime channel

bluaki

I watched Pokemon when I was younger, but don't at all think of it as really linked with what I watch recently. I started seriously watching anime after being shown .hack//SIGN by a friend (who previously tried to show me Bleach which didn't catch enough interest in me to watch at the time)