News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Final thoughts on Mario Kart Wii

Started by Nayrman, May 01, 2008, 06:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

So, what are your thoughts on the final build on Mario Kart Wii?
Personally....I hate it...
Not to say it was ALL bad, but there were many issues I had with the game.

Things I liked:
1. A few tracks were good like Toad's Factory and Wario's GOld Mine were good

2. Bikes IMO are a good addition. Add some variety to the standard kart junk

3. Leaderboads? RANKINGS!? NINTENDO IS FINALLY LISTENING TO US! VOICE CHAT PLEASE!!!!!!

That's it tho...
Things I disliked/hated:
1. Difficulty: 150cc is borderling F-Zero GX territory...while 50cc I got 2 stars without even trying the courses first X_X;;

2. Graphics: This doesn't even look like a gamecube game. Looks like a high tech N64 game. I know its the Wii, but Nintendo can do WAY better...

3. Tracks are needlessly either difficult or boring: Generic farm, rockky, etc. levels with little origionality. This is particularly true of halfpipe areas. Nintendo seems to be running out of ideas fast. My suggestion: Make trakes taht are actually part of games rather then the generic "Mario's course" junk.

4. Character Roster: Baby Daisy? Dry Bowser? I didn't know the Mario-verse was so starved for characters they had to resort to this. Although I don't want "Super Smash Kart" or anything...but maybe it's time Mario Kart branched out a little. I mean, Pokemon or Kirby wouldn't be THAT far of a stretch to put in this game...and that way we wouldn't be getting this shovelware characters.
I mean, what's next, blade of grass? Super Mushroom?

5. Trick system is fundamentally flawed: It's essentially the new "snakeing" of the game. You can do a trick to get a boost off of pretty much EVERYTHING and it's a pain in the ass to deal with. Especially if you use a CUbe or classic controller. Which leads me to another thing...

6. Drift boosts doesn't solve anything. If anything it serves to only needlessly complicate things. Sure, eliminating snakeing was a good idea (despite me being a HUGE snaker...lol), but the way the drift boosts work is just sad. I could hold it for one second and get a boost, or hold it for five and get nothing. It either needs to be standardized or take out of completely.

ssbmfan5

Quote from: Nayrman on May 01, 2008, 06:26:09 PM
So, what are your thoughts on the final build on Mario Kart Wii?
Personally....I hate it...
Not to say it was ALL bad, but there were many issues I had with the game.

Things I liked:
1. A few tracks were good like Toad's Factory and Wario's GOld Mine were good I'll agree with you that some are good, but I personally hated those two.

2. Bikes IMO are a good addition. Add some variety to the standard kart junk yep

3. Leaderboads? RANKINGS!? NINTENDO IS FINALLY LISTENING TO US! VOICE CHAT PLEASE!!!!!! Finally!

That's it tho...
Things I disliked/hated:
1. Difficulty: 150cc is borderling F-Zero GX territory...while 50cc I got 2 stars without even trying the courses first X_X;; 150cc isn't that hard once you get used to it, but getting one star on all of the gp's is.  And how'd you get two stars?  I can't even get one.

2. Graphics: This doesn't even look like a gamecube game. Looks like a high tech N64 game. I know its the Wii, but Nintendo can do WAY better... I couldn't care less about graphics, but you have a point.

3. Tracks are needlessly either difficult or boring: Generic farm, rockky, etc. levels with little origionality. This is particularly true of halfpipe areas. Nintendo seems to be running out of ideas fast. My suggestion: Make trakes taht are actually part of games rather then the generic "Mario's course" junk. This I agree with the most.  Mario Circuit has been around the block a few times, and you fall of rainbow road by pausing the game >_>

4. Character Roster: Baby Daisy? Dry Bowser? I didn't know the Mario-verse was so starved for characters they had to resort to this. Although I don't want "Super Smash Kart" or anything...but maybe it's time Mario Kart branched out a little. I mean, Pokemon or Kirby wouldn't be THAT far of a stretch to put in this game...and that way we wouldn't be getting this shovelware characters.
I mean, what's next, blade of grass? Super Mushroom? eh

5. Trick system is fundamentally flawed: It's essentially the new "snakeing" of the game. You can do a trick to get a boost off of pretty much EVERYTHING and it's a pain in the ass to deal with. Especially if you use a CUbe or classic controller. Which leads me to another thing... well, at least it adds some skill to the game.  and a way to beat 150cc.

6. Drift boosts doesn't solve anything. If anything it serves to only needlessly complicate things. Sure, eliminating snakeing was a good idea (despite me being a HUGE snaker...lol), but the way the drift boosts work is just sad. I could hold it for one second and get a boost, or hold it for five and get nothing. It either needs to be standardized or take out of completely.  It's not random.  It depends on the drift and mini turbo stats of the cart/bike you're using.

Read the bold.  I didn't hate it, I just didn't like the difficulty of the game.
My sig is gone cause it had spoilers:(

Macawmoses

I posted my review, music and character models were my biggest qualms.