News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Zelda Manga Discussion Thread

Started by Silly_Penguin, May 02, 2008, 04:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silly_Penguin

Welcome to the "Official" (official part not yet official XD) Thread for the discussion of the Legend of Zelda Manga. There are multiple manga's for the Legend of Zelda so far, the most popular of there where written by Akira Himekawa. For those who have yet to read the manga's, scanlations of them can be found on Zelda-Infinate, Zelda Legends, and Zelda Dungeon.

Though these scans won't be such a necessity for long as Viz Media will be releasing the first of the Ocarina of Time manga's on October 7, 1008. Volume 2 will then be released on December 2, 2008(...it only takes them 10 years since it's original release >_>). But don't completely rule them out, since later this year, Akira Himekawa will be releasing a Phantom Hourglass manga. I am looking forward to this a lot, though it makes me wonder even more as to why a Twilight Princess manga has never been made. Below i have a list of the manga's that i'm aware of. This list was created from the information on Wikipedia and Zelda Legends.

According to an article on ZeldaUniverse.net who had gotten a pre-release copy from Viz of the first volume of the Zelda manga, it is great. Although it is under the VizKids label, they did not edit anything out from the original. That was my main concern with that, but i'm happy to hear that it will not be edited! :D

Manga's Released:
Akira Himekawa
- Ocarina of Time (JP: 1998  --  US: Oct. 07 [vol.1] & Dec. 02 [vol.2] 2008)
- Majora's Mask (JP: 2000  --  US: Feb. 03, 2009)
- Oracle of Seasons (JP: 2001  --  US: Apr. 07, 2009)
- Oracle of Ages (JP: 2002)
- Four Swords + ( JP: 2004)
- Triforce of the Gods (JP: 2005)
- The Minish Cap (JP: 2006)
- Phantom Hourglass (JP: ~08)

Ataru Cagiva
- Triforce of the Gods (JP: 1995, '96)
- Dreaming Island (JP: 1994)

Other/Comics
- Link's Logbook  [Oyster] (JP: '??)
- Legend of Zelda  [Yu Mishasawa] (JP: 1989)
- Adventure of Link  [Yu Mishasawa] (JP: 1991)
- A Link to the Past  [Shotaro Ishinomori] (JP: 1992  --  US: Nintendo Power Volumes 32-43)

------
Official VizKids! Page
Original Topic
Zentendo Article
Zelda Legends Article
GoNintendo Article
Rauru's Return Comic / Manga Scanlations

Silly_Penguin

Just in case you where worried about finding this in a book store near you Borders is showing it on their site, i'm sure it will be in their regular store. From this, it would only be logical for the manga to also be released in book stores such as Barnes & Noble. So for lack of any other information on the English release, there you go.

Also, if you scroll down to the bottom of the Zelda Legends Article, some links where provided for viewing other Zelda manga (specifically the WW one).

Edit: Does anyone know if this:

is from another Link's Awakening manga different from the one by Ataru Cagiva? Since it definatly has a different art style being used. (To me it's similar to that of Akira Himekawa). But does anyone know the details on this? If it's an official manga, or just a fan-work?

Neerb

WTH the main guy is making a PH manga but not a WW manga?

OOH OOH, they should make a Four Sword Adventure Manga, with all the Links having seperate personalities! 

SkyMyl

Quote from: Smash Bro 25 on May 10, 2008, 04:49:49 AM
WTH the main guy is making a PH manga but not a WW manga?

OOH OOH, they should make a Four Sword Adventure Manga, with all the Links having seperate personalities! 
They do.

Now, Silly_Penguin, who "officialized" this?

captainjacksparrow

Silly_Penguin

Quote from: captainjacksparrow on May 10, 2008, 07:23:37 AM
herself
Although i could ask a mod/or admin of it's alright so state if it can be the official one. Until i do that, i'll edit out the official part :P

SkyMyl

Quote from: Silly_Penguin on May 10, 2008, 07:37:40 AM
Quote from: captainjacksparrow on May 10, 2008, 07:23:37 AM
herself
Although i could ask a mod/or admin of it's alright so state if it can be the official one. Until i do that, i'll edit out the official part :P
Much better.

Jacksparrow: It's obvious she's female. :|

Silly_Penguin

Meh, oh well. I guess i'm like Sheik if people can't figure it out XD
Now back to the manga discussion.
---------

Do you could be possible that the LoZ and AoL manga's by Yu Mishasawa are the Valiant Comics (as seen on the Zelda Legends page)?

Also does anyone have any information on that picture of the LA: DX cover? As in, is that an official manga? If so, where can it be found? And also, who wrote/illustrated it?

Silly_Penguin

"Viz also formally announced several titles that have already appeared on retailers' listings, including the Pok?mon: The Rise of the Darkrai movie companion, The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, Cat Eyed Boy, REAL, Solanin, Slam Dunk, and NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom. Viz did not comment on the "Bleach 40th Anniversary" and "Naruto 40th Anniversary" volumes in the "Sweepstakes Edition" paperback format that have also recently appeared on retailers' listings. Shueisha is celebrating the 40th anniversary of Shonen Jump in Japan this year."   ~ Anime News Network

It's completely official now, Ocarina will be the first one released (though i think that seemed a bit obvious from previous news)
I know this isn't really an update (hope this bump is ok), but it's worth discussing in my opinion.

Silly_Penguin

Bumping because if new info!! ;D

According to an article on ZeldaUniverse.net who had gotten a pre-release copy from Viz of the first volume of the Zelda manga, it is great. Although it is under the VizKids label, they did not edit anything out from the original. That was my main concern with that, but i'm happy to hear that it will not be edited! :D

I also found out the release dates for some of the other Zelda manga's from Borders.com.
(Ocarina of Time vol.2: December 02, 2008)
Majora's Mask: February 03, 2009
Oracle of Seasons: April 07, 2009

The english cover of Volume 1.[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Unfortunately i'm not sure what's up with the Phantom Hourglass manga since i thought i heard it was supposed to be released in June but i haven't seen much of it. Hope it will be released and scanned within this year.

Tupin

Looks interesting, once again.

But why did it take them so long to have get it to America?

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.