News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Coraline 3D

Started by Zovistograt, February 22, 2009, 07:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

So I just watched an amazing movie today.  Coraline.

Coraline is one mindtrip of a fusion of stop-motion and CG animation that you watch with nice 3D glasses if they're available in your theater.  The stop-motion is used whenever possible and is noticeable but very well done, the CG is not overpowering and only adds to the craziness (the first half is mostly stop-motion but once it gets insane it switches more to CG except for the characters), and the 3D is not gimmicky but instead only enhances the already beautiful art.

Coraline is about a girl named Coraline who moves to a weird-looking multifamily house that is about 150 years old and looks it.  Downstairs lives two crazy theater women and upstairs lives an eccentric Russian ex-circus performer.  Coraline's life is pretty crappy, with her father and mother distant and disinterested and the quality of her new life terrible in this place in the middle of nowhere compared to her old life in Michigan.  Her luck seems to turn when she finds a weird little door behind wallpaper, which turns out to be a portal to another world that is like the real one, but better...and everybody has buttons for eyes.  However, she soon becomes aware that this pseudoworld is extremely dangerous, but alas a bit too late.

Basically, it's visually astounding, the voice acting is great, the plot is genius with only a couple of shortcomings, and the character (and animal) designs are top-notch.  I must say, I liked it better than Wall-E.

So go watch it.  Probably the best movie I've seen since The Nines.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Macawmoses

Eh, it really has no appeal to me. Taking a look at it, nothing at all seems compelling, in the slightest. Really, I think the style, while not "overdone" is still abused.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Lord Layton on February 22, 2009, 07:58:21 PM
Eh, it really has no appeal to me. Taking a look at it, nothing at all seems compelling, in the slightest. Really, I think the style, while not "overdone" is still abused.
I suppose you have to like the style in order to like it...but I don't really see stop-motion animation being abused.  CG animation, yes.  But not stop-motion...because you need real talent to pull off a good stop-motion feature film, even if it's helped by CG.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Nayrman

Quote from: Zovistograt on February 23, 2009, 06:29:39 AM
Quote from: Lord Layton on February 22, 2009, 07:58:21 PM
I suppose you have to like the style in order to like it...but I don't really see stop-motion animation being abused.  CG animation, yes.  But not stop-motion...because you need real talent to pull off a good stop-motion feature film, even if it's helped by CG.
CG is BLATANTLY abused and overdone. Based on how cheap it is nowadays it just shows how lazy studios are. Thanks a lot Lucas, another problem you started. Stop-Motion is a lot better than CG because something tangible is actually there, instead of computers handling it all. (Nightmare before Christmas is probably the most underrated movie ever, it rarely gets any credit for anything). I want to see this movie, but I have no one to go with and only one theater near me is even showing it ;_;

Shujinco2

Well, I don't like 3D movies. It usually intercourse s with the colors.

But I will watch it in 2D. Sounds kinda cool actually.

darkmario

We went to see it the day after it stopped showing 3D XD . That movie was pretty good. The part where the old ladys(In the button world) are doing their performance made die of laughter...It was ridiculous.

Wabba

I loved Coraline, I did not see it in 3D though. It is just dripping with style and eerie undertones.

Indigo

I saw Coraline a while back, I loved it, though I guess since I forgot already it wan't fairly memorable. Still well-made and fantastic.