News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Starter Pokemon

Started by The Riddler, March 16, 2010, 12:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

Ignoring Pokemon Yellow, what is your favorite Starter? Why? And do you usually stick to one type between each generation?
RBYLGFR - Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle
SGCHGSS - Chikorita/Cyndaquil/Totodile
RSE - Treecko/Torchic/Mudkip
DPPT - Turtwig/Chimchar/Piplup

Of all of them, my favorite is Squirtle. Followed by Totodile, Mudkip, and Chimchar.

Normally I follow the Water Starter trend, but Piplup didn't thrill me.

As a side:
I have this theory, I guess you could call it, of how the starters should be.
Grass starters should all be Reptilian, Bulbasaur and Chikorita are Dinosaurs, and Turtwig is a turtle.
Water starters should all be from a swamp or lake setting, Squirtle, Totodile, and Mudkip all fit this.
Fire starters should all have fire spewing from their body as a feature, Charmander and Chimchar's tails, and Cyndaquil's back.
Treecko is an amphibian, not a reptile, so it doesn't fit.
Torchic doesn't have fire until Blaziken, so it doesn't fit.
Piplup is a penguin, which isn't swampy, so it doesn't fit.

IceFlinger

Cyndaquil is awesome.

I haven't evolved mine yet, and it's level 37.

ThePowerOfOne

My all-time favorite out of them all is probably Charmander, because it was my first, and, of course, Charizard.

I usually go with with the coolest looking one, I don't stick with one type. It usually ends up being either Fire or Water, though.

I always picked the fire starter except for 2nd gen which I picked Totodile because I though Feraligatr was cooler
...̅̅̅

SkyMyl

My favorite is Bulbasaur, (Squirtle comes ridiculously close, though) followed by Cyndaquil, Mudkip, and Turtwig.

And actually, SoulSilver marks the only time I've ever chosen a fire starter. No joke.

Lotos

FR/LG - Bulbasaur, but I picked Squirtle in Blue because I thought you had to pick the one on the box D:
HG/SS - Cyndaquil was my original starter, but I picked Totodile this time around.  The anime influenced that.
R/S/E - Torchic, then Mudkip (obviously)
D/P/Pt - Turtwig, then Piplup.

Zero

Uh...Treecko is the "Wood Gecko" pokemon. Geckos are lizards, lizards are reptiles.

Torchic has a sac inside its body where a ball of constant flame is brewing, so technically, it has flame. It's just on the inside.

I agree with you about Piplup though, Penguins are not swamp animals.

Anyways, in R/B I chose Charmander always. In G/S/C I chose Cyndaquil always, in R/S I chose Torchic always, and in D/P I didn't like any of the starters so I just used Chimchar and its evolutions until I got to Pal Park and transfered a Cyndaquil from one of my GBA games.

Thirdkoopa

1st gen; Sqruitle
2nd gen; Cyndaquil
3rd gen; Trecko
4th gen; Piplup
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

The Riddler

Quote from: Zero on March 17, 2010, 01:20:03 PM
Uh...Treecko is the "Wood Gecko" pokemon. Geckos are lizards, lizards are reptiles.

Torchic has a sac inside its body where a ball of constant flame is brewing, so technically, it has flame. It's just on the inside.

I agree with you about Piplup though, Penguins are not swamp animals.

Anyways, in R/B I chose Charmander always. In G/S/C I chose Cyndaquil always, in R/S I chose Torchic always, and in D/P I didn't like any of the starters so I just used Chimchar and its evolutions until I got to Pal Park and transfered a Cyndaquil from one of my GBA games.
Treecko is still gay.
Torchic doesn't have flames spewing from it's body, it doesn't count.

Zero

えっちーせんぱい

I never really played Red or Blue, Played yellow, but I don't really like any of the first gen starters.

2nd gen is Cyndaquil, and 3rd is Torchic, cause fire is <3

Fuck 4th gen.

Macawmoses

I'm typically a grass guy, for whatever reason.

Treecko and Bulba both really stood out to me. They were both chosen pretty well instantly.

Gen II was likely the hardest when it came out, but I ended up deciding on Chikorita because my bro took the only other one I liked - Totodile.

Gen IV was chosen as Turtwig based on looks once more. A monkey that needs Preparation H didn't strike me as awesome. And I'm so god darn tired of penguins in media lately.

My re-plays tend to be more stat based, though, which led me to Cyndaquil...

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Caveman on March 17, 2010, 04:09:36 PM
Treecko is still gay.
I quite heavily find myself in disagreement with your exquisite and unique arguement; I would like to inject that I believe due to no proof whatsoever and rather my own obscure mind that Treecko is not gay but rather a bisexual into the pokemon universe.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Zero

Quote from: George Babbitt on March 20, 2010, 01:05:29 PM
I quite heavily find myself in disagreement with your exquisite and unique arguement; I would like to inject that I believe due to no proof whatsoever and rather my own obscure mind that Treecko is not gay but rather a bisexual into the pokemon universe.

...please tell me you're just intercourse ing around

Neerb

Kanto: *see below*
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Piplup

*Kanto has always been an iffy subject; in the beginning, I had no doubt that, like everyone else on earth, I thought Charmander was coolest. However, when the time came to choose my first starter in Red, I had come to think Squirtle was just as cool, and, torn between them, I went neutral and chose Bulbasaur. Since then, I have acquired a strange interest in the formerly hated "-saur" family, playing as Ivysaur the most out of PT's pokemon on SSBB, and I now have a Venusaur on my Diamond. So, when it all comes down to it, I suppose I would say Bulbasaur because I chose him, but I still sorta like all three of them equally.

Interestingly enough, this "forcing myself to choose the middle" thing has happened twice more since then: in Red, I chose Flareon because I couldn't pick between Vaporeon and Jolteon (although I now might say Vaporeon is my favorite), and in Sapphire, I chose Treecko when I couldn't choose between Torchic or Mudkip (though Treecko has since become my definite favorite).