News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Move sets

Started by Night the Lucario, March 19, 2010, 06:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night the Lucario

Alright, since this is something a lot of people seem to have trouble with, or at least it seems that way to me, I would like to ask: Do you have any tips on creating a move set for a Pokemon or group of Pokemon you would like to share? Alternatively, are you looking for help on making move sets for your Pokemon?

Please, if you have tips, advice, or problems, post here.
When one lives by the pen, one dies by the angry characters you misused. But it's too much fun not to!
Forsooth, I AM insane! FEAR ME, YE MORTALS, OR DESPAIR AT MY INSANITY! *insane cackling*
Ahem. Anyone have an RP? I need an outlet for my randomness. ;D
Think another thought, dream another dream, live another lie.
I'm writing poetry. Anyone have a request?
I'm Night the Lucario. Although that should be obvious. Just look at the sig. Or title and PT.

Macawmoses

The biggest thing is to make sure you have a variety of typings covered. Don't just load up on water moves on your water Pokemon. Sure, they'll get STAB, but it's really going to do you in.

Zero

Quote from: King Richard on March 20, 2010, 12:45:32 PM
The biggest thing is to make sure you have a variety of typings covered. Don't just load up on water moves on your water Pokemon. Sure, they'll get STAB, but it's really going to do you in.

Yes. Basically, it's pointless to load on attacking moves of the same type. Support moves of the same type are fine, like having Sunny Day and Fire Blast on the same set or Aqua Ring, Rain Dance, and Hydro Pump on the same set.

Coverage isn't everything though. Tyranitar is a great example of a pokemon that can have great coverage. His move pool consists of every type except for Flying, which is simply amazing. Whereas a pokemon like Marowak is limited to Swords Dance for support and Ground/Fighting/Rock moves, however, this pokemon can still do plenty of hurt to your opponent. Coverage is imporant, but not everything.

Night the Lucario

Also, keep in mind the types your Pokemon has. It's all well and good if you can take down a Pokemon with an attack that normally wouldn't kill it in one shot, but if you can't take down a Pokemon that has a type advantage, you're screwed.
When one lives by the pen, one dies by the angry characters you misused. But it's too much fun not to!
Forsooth, I AM insane! FEAR ME, YE MORTALS, OR DESPAIR AT MY INSANITY! *insane cackling*
Ahem. Anyone have an RP? I need an outlet for my randomness. ;D
Think another thought, dream another dream, live another lie.
I'm writing poetry. Anyone have a request?
I'm Night the Lucario. Although that should be obvious. Just look at the sig. Or title and PT.

Neerb

Extremely important, if not blatantly obvious: build movesets around your pokemon's stats. Alakazam can get elemental punches, but he needs to be given Special attacks since that's what he's good at, whilst Vaporeon probably wants Acid Armor, Wish, and other defensive moves for its massive health bar. Granted, some pokemon are good at many things, and sending out stuff like Special Sweeper Tyrannitar can help take opponents by surprise, but for any noobs out there, make sure not to make stupid mistakes like giving your Umbreon Dark Pulse. <_< >_>

Zero

Curse-Payback Umbreon yo

Neerb

Quote from: Zero on March 20, 2010, 08:42:22 PM
Curse-Payback Umbreon yo

^- I was literally training one of those today.  :O

Zero

Yeah I have one on my team atm too. I had to breed a bit for it to get Wish though.

Neerb

Could you answer me a question: Why is Wish almost universally preferred over Morning Sun and Moonlight?

Zero

Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 21, 2010, 10:22:07 AM
Could you answer me a question: Why is Wish almost universally preferred over Morning Sun and Moonlight?

Wish is preferred because the heal amount isn't affected by Rain, Hail, or Sandstorm. Both moves heal 1/2 max HP in no weather, 2/3 in sun, and 1/4 in hail, rain, and sandstorm. Wish just heals 1/2 max HP after two turns, meaning you can pass the heals around. Say you use Wish, next turn you can switch and heal a member of your team that needs the heal.