News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Legendaries

Started by Thirdkoopa, March 25, 2010, 12:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirdkoopa

Interesting topic that spurred from the "Least Favorite Pokemon" Thread. One major part about Pokemon is the Legendary Pokemon, but in the past few years 35 have been made with an average of 8-9 per game. For "Legendaries" That's quite a lot. Furthermore, to my eyes, it seems to be a problem that started early on.

Just one thing first, don't turn this into a "hai lets praise 1/2nd gen and bash 3/4th :D" Because sometimes with looking at a problem the problem may have begun in the first or second generation and made bigger later. Look at it this way - If we went off having only 5 Pokemon per generation we still have 20 by the time we get here. Nostaglia = Bad for thread.

1st Generation: (5)
Articuno
Moltres
Zapdos
Mew
Mewtwo

Thoughts: I personally still think having 5 legendaries per gen is a bit too much but not that overexcessive at all; The 3 birds didn't really seem all too needed but I consider Mew and Mewtwo in the clear to that.

2nd Generation: (6)
Raikou
Entei
Suicine
Lugia
Ho-Ho
Celebi

Thoughts: I really don't know what I think on Celebi; This one only increased the gain per game like every other. Lugia and Ho-Ho are still however what Mew and Mewtwo are to the second generation. And I think throwing in Raikou, Entei, and Suicine was a bit redundant once more. Not all that overexcessive to me. Let's move on.

3nd Generation: (10)
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Latios
Latias
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys

Thoughts: Wow, gigantic increase here. This is one where everyone can say that the big 3 were redundant; As half of the legendaries here didn't even look all too much like pokemon. Seriously, Regi's? Deoxys? Ah well. Anyways, for this one, Jirachi and Deoxys seemed to be pushing it. Latios and Latias were far better as regular pokemon; Maybe smaller or something, I don't see the particular need to make them legendaries. Groudon/Rayquaza/Kyogre seem fine to me.

4th Generation: (14)
Uxie
Mespirit
Azelf
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Cresselia
Darkrai
Manaphy
Phione
Regigigas
Heatran
Shaymin
Arceus

Thoughts: Dialga and Palkia get the obvious save; I suppose Giratina due to being some appeal of Platinum. Darkrai too I guess but no more than that; Most of them don't even look much like pokemon - Cresselia? Seriously? And Arceus was the definition of redundant with Darkrai around. There's a few that would look fine like Shaymin as a regular pokemon but I still wouldn't consider them much of actual legendaries.

So what's your opinion on Legendaries NSFCD? Thoughts on this post? Are "The 3" Usually tacked on fine to you? Which ones do you like personally yourself? There's a few I could say are neat whether or not I think they are suitable legendaries. Feel free to discuss anything legendary related Or at least almost).
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Missingno6

Does Rotom count as one (4th gen)?
Pokemon Platinum FC: 3610 3031 1498

Zero

Quote from: Missingno6 on March 25, 2010, 12:42:22 PM
Does Rotom count as one (4th gen)?

Nintendo considers it one, but most people don't for some reason. The special music plays, it has its own area, and I can only get one in-game. That's all I need to hear for it to make it a legendary in my book, though a lot of legendaries don't exactly fill that criteria.

On topic:

Like I said in the other thread, it is understandable that every new gen has a new batch of legendaries; new region means different culture which means different myths and ultimately different legendaries. I will agree though, that it seems that with each gen they keep throwing more and more onto the list.

and what do you mean the legendary birds aren't needed? Come the intercourse  on they're the god darn legendary birds and as kids we all thought they were badass and gloated when we were the first to find them. The legendary dogs served their purpose in G/S and the Regis in R/S and so on and so forth, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that the birds are "unneeded". Personally, I think the tradition of a new trio every gen should be continued. 5-6 is the perfect number. Kanto and Johto had it right.

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Zero on March 25, 2010, 01:24:51 PM
it is understandable that every new gen has a new batch of legendaries
Of course; I'm not saying that here.

and what do you mean the legendary birds aren't needed? Come the intercourse  on they're the god darn legendary birds and as kids we all thought they were badass and gloated when we were the first to find them. The legendary dogs served their purpose in G/S and the Regis in R/S and so on and so forth, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that the birds are "unneeded". Personally, I think the tradition of a new trio every gen should be continued. 5-6 is the perfect number. Kanto and Johto had it right.
QuoteI personally still think having 5 legendaries per gen is a bit too much but not that overexcessive at all

There; I agree that it really isn't that overexcessive at all as you can see by the quote but I dunno...Maybe it's just my extreme habit of nitpicking these days. I suppose It's the increase after Kanto that annoys me. And it kept, increasing, and increasing, and increasing.

Then again, 20 is pretty close to half as less as 35. Judging by the increase we've been getting I think it'd be far better to just go with 5 per game. 6 if needed. I'd be satisfied with that for sure.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

So_So_Man

Quote from: Zero on March 25, 2010, 01:24:51 PM
Like I said in the other thread, it is understandable that every new gen has a new batch of legendaries; new region means different culture which means different myths and ultimately different legendaries. I will agree though, that it seems that with each gen they keep throwing more and more onto the list.
Did you just steal my justification for craploads of legendaries that I put in the other thread (think it was the one about disliked pokemon)?

ThePowerOfOne

Eh, it is kinda a lot. But I do have fun catching them.

Zero

Quote from: So_So_Man on March 25, 2010, 03:53:01 PM
Did you just steal my justification for craploads of legendaries that I put in the other thread (think it was the one about disliked pokemon)?

What? How in the hell can you steal something like that? I posted in that thread too you know, granted, with similar ideas. I agree with you.

Too many that aren't obtainable ingame
...̅̅̅