News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Rumor: 80GB PS3 being discontinued?

Started by blue_slime, January 25, 2008, 05:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_slime

An anonymous Best Buy employee has sent us a scan of an internal letter, which notifies employees that the 80GB system is being discontinued. "The 80GB version of the PS3 is going closeout and won't be replaced at this time," it reads. "It will come off the planogram on Jan. 28. The 60GB version should already be gone from stores. Only the 40GB version of PS3 will be sold in Best Buy stores at this time."

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/24/best-buy-discontinuing-80gb-ps3/

What.  So goodbye backwards compatibility going forward. :(

[spoiler]This is what I get for waiting for the PS3 to have more good games to come out and for it to come down in price.  Curses![/spoiler]

Tupin

I still have a 20GB one. :D

But can Sony keep a model going for a year? :-\

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

WiiGuy

Rayquarian

I think if I ever do get a PS3, I'll just invest in the worst model.  That way, they can't screw me over like that.

OneManFreakShow

If they keep this up we'll eventually have a 2 Yottabyte PS3.

えっちーせんぱい

OneManFreakShow

Triforceman22

...good thing I got mah good ol' Wii. ;D

QuoteRobotnik: GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!

THEEVILSPERKY

Ordered myself a 60 GB within the last week for a good price so even if another one comes out, be it 60 again in some form, 80 in another form, or something else, I think I'll have the best one anyways, or second-best depending on what succeeds the 80 (backwards compatibility via hardware  on the 60 ftw).
NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Jet Black), PQ (JPN), Wii, GBP (Clear), GBC (Green x2), GBASP (x2 Cobalt, x1 NES), DSLite (Black), SG3, SDC (x1 BIG, x1 Clear black top, solid grey/beige bottom), PS (x2), PS2 (Slim, Silver), PS3 (NTSC 60GB upgraded to 500GB), PSP 2000 (Silver, 4GB), XBox360 Elite

WiiGuy

Quote from: Triforceman22 on January 25, 2008, 10:02:25 PM
...good thing I got mah good ol' Wii. ;D
:D

Me too.

if only people would listen :(

ME86

Well, I find it hard to belive as, at least according to the NDP, the 80 Gig unit outsold the 40 Gig unit last quarter, but this could be becuase the 40 Gigs weren't out during October. . . But who knows? SCEA could be simply phasing out the bundled package and will be replacing it with an unbundled version? Or maybe they'll be re-bundleing it with another game like Uncharted, R&CF:ToD, or maybe both?

blue_slime

Quote from: ME86 on January 26, 2008, 10:36:19 AM
Well, I find it hard to belive as, at least according to the NDP, the 80 Gig unit outsold the 40 Gig unit last quarter, but this could be becuase the 40 Gigs weren't out during October. . . But who knows? SCEA could be simply phasing out the bundled package and will be replacing it with an unbundled version? Or maybe they'll be re-bundleing it with another game like Uncharted, R&CF:ToD, or maybe both?

Hopefully that's the case.  As much as the higher end PS3's cost, it's worth the cost of PS2 BC and the extra storage for the extra $100.

ME86

Quote from: blue_slime on January 27, 2008, 12:34:28 PM
Quote from: ME86 on January 26, 2008, 10:36:19 AM

Hopefully that's the case.  As much as the higher end PS3's cost, it's worth the cost of PS2 BC and the extra storage for the extra $100.

The higher capacity HDD doesn't do much as you can simply replace the HDD in the PlayStation 3 with any 2.5" SATA HDD, but I can see why somebody would want the emulation.