News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Orchestrated music?

Started by plasma_trooper, December 14, 2007, 01:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasma_trooper

Many fans have been calling for fully orchestrated music in Zelda games. I am not one of them. While orchestrated music would make many parts of the game better soundwise, there are some places where it wouldn't fit. I do believe, however, that all the music in the game should be recorded live with no MIDI recordings, but not all with an orchestra. For example, I am a huge fan of the original Gerudo Valley theme, but not the Hyrule Symphony version, so I believe that a real Flamenco/ Spanish guitarest should compose the theme for the Gerudo Desert, someone such as Rodrigo y Gabriela (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU68qT4T1bE). These two are geniuses and I would be brought close to tears if the Gerudo Desert ever sounded as good as them. So discuss, should all music be orchestrated, recorded live, or MIDI'd in Zelda games?

HOME_RUN_BAT

Isn't windwaker theme orchestrated?

zeldaguy6

Allegretto

Quote from: plasma_trooper on December 14, 2007, 01:42:37 PM
Many fans have been calling for fully orchestrated music in Zelda games. I am not one of them. While orchestrated music would make many parts of the game better soundwise, there are some places where it wouldn't fit. I do believe, however, that all the music in the game should be recorded live with no MIDI recordings, but not all with an orchestra. For example, I am a huge fan of the original Gerudo Valley theme, but not the Hyrule Symphony version, so I believe that a real Flamenco/ Spanish guitarest should compose the theme for the Gerudo Desert, someone such as Rodrigo y Gabriela (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU68qT4T1bE). These two are geniuses and I would be brought close to tears if the Gerudo Desert ever sounded as good as them. So discuss, should all music be orchestrated, recorded live, or MIDI'd in Zelda games?

Yea i agree with you, there would be places where it would work great, but in many places it needs just the classic music

GeekyLink

I'm one of the fans that wish to see orchestrated music in use in the games.  I do have to agree with your points, it would be much harder to do certain things with orchestrated music than midi such as in TP when you are in Hyrule field and you encounter an enemy. Such a transition with orchestrated would be near impossible. But such a transition would also be just as hard with live recorded music.

My other comment would be that I simply love both the original Gerudo Valley song and the orchestrated one. ;)

Personally, I think a mix of orchestrated and live recorded music would bring the optimal effect. Orchestrated for certain parts and live recordings for others.

^ Website that I programmed ^

Speedanimal

I'm on both sides of this, I think that sometimes it works well when a point is trying to be put across, but in many cases were just a light tone is needed the orginals work the best.
I am a Dragonite!"</a>

Termanian_Knight

I dunno. I really can't tell between the quality of orchestrated music and midi. As long as the music enhances the quality of the game, I'm happy with any format that achieves that. The music in Zelda so far hasn't disappointed me yet.

Silly_Penguin

I myself am supporting the orchestrated music. But not necessarily using a full symphony orchestra for each song, only for those that would fit for the mood and flow of the song. I agree, the Gerudo desert theme just doesn't sound right with a symphony orchestra, but would sound great with what you suggested.

@ GeekyLink
you have a good point there. It would be interesting to hear, let's say the hyrule theme orchestrated, but with possibly some midi effects added. But i see what you mean but that would be an odd transition (although they could edit that part later on)