News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

My thoughts on the upcoming SNK fighting games on the Wii.

Started by Pokejedservo, February 23, 2008, 06:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pokejedservo

The Wii will supposedly have KOF Orochi Collection, KOF 98 Special Edition and the Samurai Shodown Anthology. (Not too mention the PS2 and the PSP but thats a different story.) That is without a doubt cool but there is one thing to consider I mean there is the whole Neo Geo being on the Virtual Console thing to consider. After all I once heard that the compilations for Fatal Fury Trilogy (with Special) and Art of Fighting Trilogy were going to be released on the Wii and that was before I heard about Neo Geo being on the Virtual Console. So I am pretty unsure if the Wii versions of these games will be released.

Now granted one could remind us about the detail on how despite the fact that those compilations were released only the first Fatal Fury and AOF game are on the VC so far. That is true on how releases have been going a bit slow and so far SNK has been trying to focus more on their non-fighting games lately for the NG on the VC for the most part. However the year is still young and there can be more VC releases over the years and Neo Geo is still relatively new on the Wii's VC. KOF 94 is the only game of the series to be released so far this year on the VC but I dunno if it will be the ONLY game in the series released on the VC this year. Besides the KOF Orochi Collection will have KOF 94 which is already on the VC well beforehand.

SNK will most likely release more of their fighters on the VC over the course of this year. I admit I dunno if they will release ALL of the games that will be covered by those compilations but I'm pretty sure they won't stop doing it at all this year. Though there are some 2-D fighters of theirs that they can release as separate games such as Samurai Showdown 6, KOF 11 and more. I know very well that there are plenty of other different sorts of games for Virtual Console to have and the Neo Geo's Library is only one of them. But it would seem a bit awkward to release Neo Geo Game Compilations on the Wii despite the fact that the Wii has Neo Geo on the Virtual Console.

blue_slime

I don't think so really.  If the collection is priced appropriately, each game in the compilation should be below the price of individually on the VC.  That way, you can please both the people who want the best deal and those who want only the games they like.  And yeah, I hope they can port KOFXI to the Wii, since it's a really awesome game.

Pokejedservo

Well to be fair unless SNK added in new features to this upcoming release of KOF 98 since its suppose to be separate from the KOF 94-97 compilation then KOF 98 should just simply be released on the VC instead.

While it is true that the compilations could be more cost effective than VC releases. Unfortunately my point still stands on how compilations can make the VC seem kind of pointless. Now okay if the compilation has games that are NOT able to covered by the Virtual Console then maybe I can understand that. But these games on the other hand can be on the VC though. And that is the problem though...