News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

How much am I risking by taking the bottom casing off my laptop?

Started by Kaz, May 16, 2008, 01:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

Because there's no other way to get to the laptop's fan, which currently sounds like a miniature weed-eater. Even when the fan wouldn't be even audible normally, it's now loud as hell. Air dusting the area of the fan through the bottom vent didn't do anything, so...my only options are to try to open 'er up and see if it's dusty or loose or to send it in and wait a month. The problem is that I won't be here when it comes back...so sending it in is currently out of the question.

So if I open up the bottom, is there a good chance of me screwing something up, or what? I really don't know anything about the internal workings of any computer.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

えっちーせんぱい

Honestly, if that's all you're going to touch, you should not have any problems with opening it up; just take case if anything is attached to the bottom of the laptop case itself.
As long as you're careful, you'll be fine. While your at it, you can dust out some other things while its open.

L10

ummmmm, you can only screw up ANY type of computer if you don't have any common sense IMO...assuming you know what your going to do.
0o!f

Kaz

Well I couldn't find anything wrong with it that I could fix myself...I called a guy who says he might be able to look at it and fix/replace it for around $100.

... :'(

えっちーせんぱい

Quote from: Kaz on May 16, 2008, 03:09:28 PM
Well I couldn't find anything wrong with it that I could fix myself...I called a guy who says he might be able to look at it and fix/replace it for around $100.

It's just dust on the fan? What's so hard about that?

BOSSNIG

You might be able to install a new CPU fan on it yourself.
IF U WERE KILLED TOMORROW, I WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN DA MOTHA FUKER THAT KILLED U!
..._.....____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____] = = = = = D
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER

Kaz

Quote from: Blaziken on May 16, 2008, 07:19:48 PM

...didn't I just say I couldn't find anything wrong with it that I could fix myself? Whatever it is, it's apparently not dust. The fan will probably have to be replaced.

Quote from: Darklink on May 16, 2008, 07:24:33 PM

Maybe. First I at least want the guy to look at it and tell me what the intercourse  is wrong with it.

Silverhawk79

Your laptop fan is probably pretty much shot, just suck it up and send it in. Either that or take it to that guy.

BOSSNIG

Quote from: Kaz on May 16, 2008, 07:47:38 PM

...didn't I just say I couldn't find anything wrong with it that I could fix myself? Whatever it is, it's apparently not dust. The fan will probably have to be replaced.

Maybe. First I at least want the guy to look at it and tell me what the intercourse  is wrong with it.

Before that, look too see if there is some obstruction or a severed wire etc. It might even just need some grease or something on the gears.

You could probably fix it yourself, unless it's really risky or tricky.
IF U WERE KILLED TOMORROW, I WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN DA MOTHA FUKER THAT KILLED U!
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER

Kaz

Quote from: Darklink on May 16, 2008, 07:50:59 PM

Before that, look too see if there is some obstruction or a severed wire etc. It might even just need some grease or something on the gears.

Why? The guy will look at it for free. He's only charging me if he has to buy a replacement.

Oh, but now that you mention it, I didn't notice any severed wires or anything like that broken. Nor did I see any foreign objects stuck in there...as for the grease, well I could try it, but not now. Right now I'm savoring the fact that it's being a little quieter than it has been the rest of the day.

BOSSNIG

Quote from: Kaz on May 16, 2008, 08:07:26 PM
Quote from: Darklink on May 16, 2008, 07:50:59 PM

Why? The guy will look at it for free. He's only charging me if he has to buy a replacement.

Oh, but now that you mention it, I didn't notice any severed wires or anything like that broken. Nor did I see any foreign objects stuck in there...as for the grease, well I could try it, but not now. Right now I'm savoring the fact that it's being a little quieter than it has been the rest of the day.

Oh, well you could go ahead and get him to look at it. Then if you can fix it, go ahead :p.
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER

Mutilator7