News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Handhelds are becoming redundant now.

Started by Doodle, September 14, 2011, 06:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doodle

Before, handhelds were nice for games that otherwise wouldn't be released on other platforms, like 2D platformers, etc. Except now with the 3DS, we're getting fully 3D games running at tiny resolutions, when we could have those games looking and playing much better on PC/consoles.
Just my thoughts. :U
YEAH

Custom

i'm the opposite
i barely play consoles anymore, and think handheld gaming is better
maybe it's becuase i'm always out and about and don't really have time to sit at home anymore

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Neerb

Quote from: Custom on September 14, 2011, 07:07:28 AM
i'm the opposite
i barely play consoles anymore, and think handheld gaming is better
maybe it's becuase i'm always out and about and don't really have time to sit at home anymore

This.

I still haven't finished FFVII because it's on my PS3, but I can blow through turn-based RPGs as fast as I want on my 3DS. I say more power to the handheld.

Kayo

To play a console game:
I must be sitting in my room in front of my TV.

To play a handheld game:
I can sit in front of my TV if I want.
I can also sit on any of the three couches in my house
I can be in a moving car going down the interstate at 65 mph
I can be in any waiting room area
I can be on a intercourse ing airplane
I can be in the bathroom if I darn well please

Only now, I can have the same graphical quality we had on console games not too long ago, but I can have it anywhere I want. I'm also like Custom, where I'm always going places. Sure I have time to sit at home, but not for extended periods of time. If I'm only home for 45 minutes, that's all I can do on a console game. But I could play a handheld game in that time, then fold my DS and put it in my pocket when it's time to go. And then keep playing.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

BOREDFOREVER

As has been said before many different ways,

It's mobile phone gaming that's making it redundant.  I'm playing Dawn of Souls on my Andriod.  I played through both Pokemon Fire Red and Sapphire on my Android.  Yes, you can do a lot more on dedicated handheld devices, but

1) It's generally a lot more expensive.  Phone games are cheaper, emulators are free.  Yeah, the actual hardware costs are comparable, but my Android is also my main phone.

2) All I have to carry is my phone, which I carry everywhere anyway. 

Zero

Yeah I really want an Android. Fuck.

Too bad those data plans would kick my wallet in the ass.

Kayo

As soon as I get a job I'm getting an Android phone. That's been my plan for months now.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Custom

the only thing about emulators on my phone is it kills the battery
but there are solutions to everything and it's nice to play a few rounds of the SNES dbz game every once in a while

Tupin

Quote from: Custom on September 14, 2011, 08:10:04 PM
but there are solutions to everything and it's nice to play a few rounds of the SNES dbz game every once in a while
What is the name of that one? I thought most of the Super Famicom DBZ games were RPGs.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Custom

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: Custom on September 14, 2011, 08:10:04 PM

That is the downside.  I use Advanced Task Killer to save on battery, though.

Super

Handhelds are great, but there is nothing like the satisfaction of playing games on a huge TV with surround sound.

Kayo

Quote from: Super on September 15, 2011, 11:06:41 PM
Handhelds are great, but there is nothing like the satisfaction of playing games on a huge TV with surround sound.
That's great and all, when you can find enough time to spend it all at home.

thread tl;dr handhelds aren't really redundant and Doodle is just silly.
[move][/move]

Doodle

It's not silly. It's just a matter of whether you want your games to look and sound sexy as intercourse  or if you just want them on the go.
I'd use the "haters" emote but I don't have it so. :U
YEAH

Kayo

Quote from: Doodle on September 19, 2011, 07:13:34 AM
It's not silly. It's just a matter of whether you want your games to look and sound sexy as intercourse  or if you just want them on the go.
I'd use the "haters" emote but I don't have it so. :U
If it entertains me while I'm on an airplane or whatever, it works. I even play Gameboy games on trips like that. It doesn't need to look flashy and sexy to make an 8-hour ride feel shorter.
[move][/move]