News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Desert Bus For Hope

Started by Silverhawk79, November 30, 2008, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverhawk79

QuoteWe've had a little bit of game marathon fatigue up here in the Tower, but Desert Bus for Hope, as something of a granddaddy of all of these — not to mention the absolutely absurd and painful game they chose — gets a pass from me.

It began yesterday and, already into its 21st hour as of this posting, Desert Bus for Hope 2: Bus Harder has raised more than $10,000, meaning the drivers are already in for at least four days of torture. Last year's drive raised more than $20,000, so hopes are high this will beat the previous mark. The beneficiary is Child's Play, which buys toys and games for kids in the care of 40 children's hospitals nationwide.

The way it works, donations buy time that the players must spend driving in Desert Bus — the infamous minigame in Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors for Sega CD, which simulates a bus trip from Tucson, Ariz. to Las Vegas, in real time. This sounds like one of those ideas I wish I'd thought of, then would probably regret once I started playing. But still, if they ever put this game on PSN or XBL, I'd be powerless to resist downloading it, even at $10.

The site features a clock and a cam and a running tally of donations, plus a bunch of amusing 'shoops (or LOLBuses, I guess) for every $1,000 they raise.

http://kotaku.com/5099989/desert-bus-rides-again-already-raking-in-the-dough

I remember this from a year or so ago, and I watched them for about 3 hours before I got bored. I think it's a creative way to raise funds for a good cause, even if the game is mind-numbingly boring. Thoughts?

phatyo

Thats awesome! Lol I remember them from last year too after 30 minutes I got bored and left :/

jnfs2014

A good way to rip off a "know-it-all" for a beneficial cause.

Silverhawk79

Jono2

i've been watching on/off since sunday.

total donations DOUBLED over yesterday. went from about 22000 sunday evening to 45000, and now it's 52000.

it's a good cause too.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Tupin

I wonder if Penn and Teller know or care about this.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on December 02, 2008, 04:13:33 PM
They probably know and care, since it's for a good cause.

Jono2

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on December 02, 2008, 04:13:33 PM

they donated $500 last year.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen