News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

The E3 2012 Info and Discussion Thread

Started by Hero_of_Darkness, May 23, 2012, 01:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qsmash

>not announcing the localization of an FE game during E3
>5 minute showcase of New Super Mario Bros. 2. Trust me, you haven't seen this before!
>took time to mention some poop comedy show and show an unfunny trailer of it
>not even a hint at Fire Emblem: Awakening, which is a first party title.

just tell me WHY.

X-3

They were just too excited.

Their strategy this year was basically "talk about games coming out this year". As a result, we have nothing about Retro, Zelda 3DS and so on, leaving this E3 as just "I see" rather than "aww yeah". I don't think that excuses spending time showing off how the Wii U's port of a game released last year has...controllable Batrangs. Or pointlessly going over how Miiverse works, defeating the purpose of that Nintendo Direct showing. Or using the final minutes of a conference to breakdown how a mini-game works instead of just playing it or something. (if they did this I don't know: I was tired and wasn't paying attention, all I remember are screenshots)

I don't like how Nintendo's only 3DS games until the end of the year are Mario though.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on June 06, 2012, 07:19:37 PM
that doesnt mean poop. the ps3 is notoriously hard to develop for, particularly when you're porting a game originally developed for pc.

ps3 is far, far more powerful than wii u.

I'm not sure if i should take this post seriously.

How does PS3 compare to 360 according to you?

Quote from: X-3 on June 06, 2012, 08:43:06 PM
They were just too excited.

YES YUES YESUD EFIPNAGOPJNEBA[PKJBNDBKJ;EN

FUCK YEAH

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on June 06, 2012, 08:47:43 PM
YES YUES YESUD EFIPNAGOPJNEBA[PKJBNDBKJ;EN

FUCK YEAH
Well, it's pretty foul-sounding, but at least he finally got pleased for something.

Meanwhile, I'll stick to my Paper Mario. Heheh, stick.

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on June 06, 2012, 08:47:43 PM
I'm not sure if i should take this post seriously.

How does PS3 compare to 360 according to you?

in terms of raw processing power the ps3 is at least twice as powerful as the 360

but the architecture is completely different making direct ports really intercourse ing difficult.
~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on June 06, 2012, 10:45:23 PM
in terms of raw processing power the ps3 is at least twice as powerful as the 360

but the architecture is completely different making direct ports really intercourse ing difficult.
Just CPU vs CPU or the system overall?

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on June 06, 2012, 10:45:23 PM

You can't multitask easily on the PS3, the menus take forever to load, whereas on the 360 everything is reasonably quick. Most games on the PS3 have texture issues as well. It's hard to say that the PS3 is more powerful when it is clearly weaker in other areas.

its pretty annoying, but i still like my ps3 anyway

------

Mona and I just got back from Disney World, so we're trying to catch up on all of this stuff.

Thoughts:

Paper Mario Sticker Star. I'd rather have a PM game TTYD style but whatever, it should be fun anyway.
Wii U General: I'm pleased with how Pikmin 3 looks but I'm not sold yet. The Pro controller looks interesting.
Halo 4: Yes
FE Awakening: wtf no annoucement
MM fake: Why does that have to be fake? Easily the coolest thing I've seen today. Who made it? Anyone know?

And that's all I've seen so far. Still checking stuff out.

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on June 06, 2012, 10:57:26 PM
Just CPU vs CPU or the system overall?
the cpu is the most significant difference

Quote from: Z on June 07, 2012, 11:59:29 AM
You can't multitask easily on the PS3, the menus take forever to load, whereas on the 360 everything is reasonably quick. Most games on the PS3 have texture issues as well. It's hard to say that the PS3 is more powerful when it is clearly weaker in other areas.

its pretty annoying, but i still like my ps3 anyway

once again the ps3 is much harder to develop for. these are all software issues (and in the case of the os issues, it's clear even sony doesn't know how to use their hardware to it's fullest potential)
the biggest fault in the ps3's hardware is the slower load time of the blu-ray reader.

upcoming ps3 exclusives like last of us and beyond look much better than anything the 360 is capable of.
~~ <3

Destrier

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/statuses/210570017471864833

You know your E3 is a train wreck when the best announcements come from Twitter after the show is over.

The Riddler

Tekken Tag Tournament. Tekken with Mario elements.

Kayo

Quote from: Z on June 07, 2012, 11:59:29 AM
Paper Mario Sticker Star. I'd rather have a PM game TTYD style but whatever, it should be fun anyway.
I'm in the same boat; more TTYD-like stuff is ALWAYS good in my book.

QuoteWii U General: I'm pleased with how Pikmin 3 looks but I'm not sold yet. The Pro controller looks interesting.
I like the Pro controller, if even for the message that I won't need to use the tablet most of the time.

MM fake: Why does that have to be fake? Easily the coolest thing I've seen today. Who made it? Anyone know?
Don't worry; we'll get Majora's Mask eventually, after a new Zelda game comes out on the 3DS. This comes from a reliable source that I'm too lazy to get right now.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on June 07, 2012, 12:29:36 PM
the cpu is the most significant difference
As I thought.

You're right that the PS3's CPU beats both the 360's and the Wii U's on paper. However, the Cell is really a unique and exotic CPU. Comparing it directly with a traditional CPU architecture is very misleading. Looking at it's specs on paper, it competes with high-end current CPUs. A 2006 CPU that can keep up with 2012 CPUs? Obviously there's a missing part of the puzzle here.

GPU-wise, 360 and PS3 are dead-even, and they have the same amount of RAM (where Wii U is rumored to have 3x as much as they do).  PS3 falls behind 360 in the GPU department in many cases, and makes up for that by using the Cell to handle some of the graphics. So, in practice, PS3 doesn't even come close to twice as powerful as 360. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Zero

The Wii U needs that RAM if its transmitting graphics to the tablet.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Z on June 07, 2012, 05:45:42 PM
The Wii U needs that RAM if its transmitting graphics to the tablet.
Somehow, I doubt that the GamePad alone needs an extra gig of RAM. :P