News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Pokemon X and Y confirmed

Started by The Riddler, January 08, 2013, 04:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirwaddy

I liked 5th a lot as well as 3rd. Except for some of the evos 4th was awful. 1/2 are like the foundation I can't dislike them. And so far none of 6th has disappointed me so I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Kayo

Quote from: Custom on May 11, 2013, 09:26:46 PM
also all like 80% of hte pokemon in gen 5 suck

design wise not stats wise btw they're pretty good in terms of stats
I actually think V was overall better than IV by a long shot.

Quote from: Zero on May 11, 2013, 11:34:05 PM
I like 80% of the pokemon in gen 5

you people seem pretty resistant to change

[spoiler]gen 3 had the worst designs)[/spoiler]
I'm not sure you got the point of Hoenn and Gen III; after two regions based around the busiest part of IRL Japan they went to a new, more remote region on a less inhabited, more tropical island. This is reflected in the new ways of building settlements (on treetops and in the center of an extinct volcano) and the more out-there Pokemon designs. As a whole, the Gen III designs are more zany and eccentric than from the previous two generations (Ludicolo, Mawile, Masquerain, Tropius, to name a few), representing in a way like the crazy poop you can find in more tropical parts of the real world. If you didn't like it then that's on you, but it's actually really cool when you see what they were going for.

Quote from: Custom on May 11, 2013, 11:42:53 PM
gen 3 is my favorite design wise
it's too bad those pokemon's stats suck
Entirely this. Gen III sucked at making Pokemon that were usable in competitive battling. I don't really do competitive much, but Gen III pokes are almost always outclassed.

Quote from: Zero on May 12, 2013, 02:27:18 AM
there are some good ones but I don't even have to struggle when thinking of the bad ones: elektrike, mancetric, spinda, plusle/minun, volbeat/illuminise, Hariyama, Mawile, god dude the list goes on. Not only do every single one of those pokemon SUCK, they're just not appealing at all, and I am generally pretty easy to please.

on the other hand Dusclops is freakin' sweet.
Manectric was no worse than a select handful of Gen I and II Pokemon. Spinda was a little playground for the new Personality Value stuff (the spots) and Plusle/Minun were made to show off the new Double Battle mechanic in an extremely gimmicky way (and if they were created two generations later they'd probably be one Pokemon; they're more aesthetically similar than the two Basculins). The fireflies... Hell if I know. I really feel like they were just made to be cute about gender counterparts and breeding (Volbeat can hatch from an Illumise egg). Hariyama draws parallel to a portion of Japanese culture (sumo wrestling) that we as Americans aren't quite as close to (Gen V's Gothitelle has a similar story). And Mawile is just freakin' adorable I don't know why you have such a problem with it.

Quote from: Custom on May 12, 2013, 02:46:41 AM
they do suck stats wise though
3rd gen sucks competitively
but they're my favorite designs of all the gens

i think it goes 3rd -> 1st -> 2nd -> 4th -> 5th
(although you could interchange 4th and 5th i really don't care much about those)

6th gen actually looks promising though, let's just hope they don't intercourse  all of these dudes final evos
I personally wouldn't be that mean to 5th. It had some pretty cool designs like Chandelure and stuff that are COMPLETELY drowned out by everyone's hatred of Vanilluxe and Garbodor. If you ask me 2nd is probably at the bottom. I mean it spawned some cool favorites like Ampharos, but there are loads of Pokemon from there (Dunsparce, Granbull, Aipom, etc.) that I could live without--honestly can't see why they're loved so much. It was also the smallest Gen Pokemon-wise actually in every way so naturally it has less Pokemon that are appealing (to me).

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Kayo

Quote from: Sirwaddy on May 12, 2013, 10:39:14 AM
I liked 5th a lot as well as 3rd. Except for some of the evos 4th was awful. 1/2 are like the foundation I can't dislike them. And so far none of 6th has disappointed me so I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Yeah I feel the same way. It's hard to judge I and II so much, since they were never really NEW to me; we had 251 Pokemon at the time I REALLY got into the series so I always knew them as just being there. The best things that came out of 4th are--ironically--the Pokemon that are mere evolutions of stuff from past gens. And a select few like... ... like.... Drapion? Wow, there really wasn't much. Never mind. I did think Abomasnow was a cool idea though. Since the region from Gen IV was so insufferably northern and cold at least they had Abomasnow as a good Ice-type.

Gen V, being the largest in terms of new Pokemon (156?) is very extreme, it has a lot of really good and really bad. Whether or not you like it honestly depends on how far the stick is lodged up your ass whether you're more of an optimist or a pessimist and which Pokemon you choose to look at.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Zero

Quote from: Custom on May 12, 2013, 02:44:49 AM
i like them

dude i just don't see how, all the ones I mentioned aren't even remotely appealing. What do you like about them?

5th gen sucks my dick see losers like rob try to #defend5thgen
you know htey just stole the face for vanilla ice from the dragon quest slimes
YOU KNOW IT

Yeah and plusle/minun are not only recolors of each other, but basically just slightly altered Pichus. At least the Vannilite and its evolutions drew inspiration from something awesome like DRAGON QUEST. The design didn't rip off of other Pokemon. Know what I mean?

Also when mentioning bad Gen V pokemon, people only bring up Garbodor and Vannilite.

OH NO, 2 DUDS OUT OF 156? SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Zero

and Kayo, what does the poopty designs of Pokemon in Gen III have to do with "the point" of Gen III? I get Gen III. It's a tropical island. That doesn't stop the Pokemon designs from being uninspired for the most part. There are some good ones but for example name a cool new Electric type in Gen III. It sure as intercourse  isn't Mancetric.

As for Mawile, its just not very appealing to me at all. Its cute I guess. The other Pokemon I mentioned are worse. You bringing up their "inspiration" doesn't change how their designs are man. Hariyama is still lame as intercourse  and is a pretty crappy fighting type to boot. It's hard to be a bad fighting type, but Hariyama pulls it off.

I just want to point out that I like every generation of Pokemon and IV pisses me off the most because of its lack of fire types(seriously WHY), but come on. The introduction of Double Battles really intercourse ed Game Freak's game up in terms of design. all of that filler crap ruined Gen III overall.

Custom

i'm going to go through by gen and name every pokemon (bottom to top evos) in the pokedex of the designs i enjoy
then i can truly have a tr00 list of which gens i think have the best designs

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Zero

Quote from: Custom on May 12, 2013, 01:45:45 PM
i'm going to go through by gen and name every pokemon (bottom to top evos) in the pokedex of the designs i enjoy
then i can truly have a tr00 list of which gens i think have the best designs

custom, only the tr00est of the tr00 should make the list

that means farfetched

Kayo

Quote from: Zero on May 12, 2013, 01:41:37 PM
and Kayo, what does the poopty designs of Pokemon in Gen III have to do with "the point" of Gen III? I get Gen III. It's a tropical island. That doesn't stop the Pokemon designs from being uninspired for the most part. There are some good ones but for example name a cool new Electric type in Gen III. It sure as intercourse  isn't Mancetric.
Wow, I was trying to be nice about it earlier but you obviously just didn't get Gen III at all. The Pokemon designs aren't uninspired, if anything they can be argued to be MORE inspired than other generations because their designs are so unique. Look at Pokemon like Mawile and Tropius again, and tell me they're uninspired. They're a hell of a lot more inspired than say, Rattata or Golbat or Slowpoke or half the Gen I and II Pokemon you love so much. Look at intercourse ing Masquerain, Kecleon, Relicanth, Cradily, Sharpedo, Castform, and even god darned Zigzagoon and tell me there's no "inspiration" behind them. Name a cool Electric type? Gen III was less kind to Electric-types than Gen IV was to Fire types (there were only four) so you're not giving me anything to work with. Pick a different argument, since your little "example" just conveniently doesn't work.

I could also say that the lack of Electric-types is another nod at the "new development" of the Hoenn region, because honestly that makes perfect sense now that I think about it. The only Electric-types in the game are found on that route between Slateport and Mauville or in the Safari Zone (Pikachu). And Chinchou but that's a primary Water-type that you wouldn't find on land anywhere anyway.

QuoteAs for Mawile, its just not very appealing to me at all. Its cute I guess. The other Pokemon I mentioned are worse. You bringing up their "inspiration" doesn't change how their designs are man. Hariyama is still lame as intercourse  and is a pretty crappy fighting type to boot. It's hard to be a bad fighting type, but Hariyama pulls it off.

I just want to point out that I like every generation of Pokemon and IV pisses me off the most because of its lack of fire types(seriously WHY), but come on. The introduction of Double Battles really intercourse ed Game Freak's game up in terms of design. all of that filler crap ruined Gen III overall.
You have a lot of strong opinions about Hariyama but I could also argue Primeape. I never understood that wretched thing. By the way, I don't care how appealing or unappealing you think Mawile is, you can't really say it's not unique.
[move][/move]

Zero

Quote from: Kayo on May 12, 2013, 02:10:42 PM
Wow, I was trying to be nice about it earlier but you obviously just didn't get Gen III at all. The Pokemon designs aren't uninspired, if anything they can be argued to be MORE inspired than other generations because their designs are so unique. Look at Pokemon like Mawile and Tropius again, and tell me they're uninspired. They're a hell of a lot more inspired than say, Rattata or Golbat or Slowpoke or half the Gen I and II Pokemon you love so much. Look at intercourse ing Masquerain, Kecleon, Relicanth, Cradily, Sharpedo, Castform, and even god darned Zigzagoon and tell me there's no "inspiration" behind them. Name a cool Electric type? Gen III was less kind to Electric-types than Gen IV was to Fire types (there were only four) so you're not giving me anything to work with. Pick a different argument, since your little "example" just conveniently doesn't work.

Was R/S/E your first Pokemon games or something? Comparing Rattata to Slowpoke? Really? Dude, that's where you lost your mojo. Slowpoke is hella unique. Rattata, not so much. Mentioning Relicanth? Dude, its a intercourse ing FISH. We have a million of those. It isn't much more unique than other fish Pokemon. Masquerain and Cradily are awesome(though Masquerain loses its previous form's water typing and becomes a poopty bug/flying type, so that hurts it), but Zigzagoon and Linoone? Let's be real here, Zig and Lin are basically Sentret and Furret V2. First form is a raccoon, second form is a weasel thing. Gen II already did that. Check and mate bro. As for Sharpedo, Sharpedo just looks ridiculous. It's literally just a shark head. I get that its supposed to be like the head of a submarine's torpedo, but come on. Again, I GET gen III, but that doesn't mean that the double battle crap didn't hurt the pokemon list overall. There is just no defending Plusle/Minun or Volbeat/Illuminise. Even baby Pokemon are a better idea than that.

And dude, just because you don't like me pointing out the lack of elec types in your precious Gen III, that doesn't make the argument 'not work'. You can't name many Elec types at all, and that was my point. I make the same argument against Gen IV with its lack of fire types. The same poop applies, only, at least you can name Infernape and Heatran. So Gen III is a little bit off balance on the same issue.

I could also say that the lack of Electric-types is another nod at the "new development" of the Hoenn region, because honestly that makes perfect sense now that I think about it. The only Electric-types in the game are found on that route between Slateport and Mauville or in the Safari Zone (Pikachu). And Chinchou but that's a primary Water-type that you wouldn't find on land anywhere anyway.
You have a lot of strong opinions about Hariyama but I could also argue Primeape. I never understood that wretched thing. By the way, I don't care how appealing or unappealing you think Mawile is, you can't really say it's not unique.

Okay first of all, how does the lack of electric types in Hoenn make perfect sense because Pikachu happens to be in the safari zone, Elektrike happens to be between Slateport and Mauville, and Chinchou is in the water zones? Do you realize how unbelievably and desperately convenient that sounds? Not just convenient, it really just doesn't make sense. Think about it. Your argument is basically "The lack of elec types makes sense because of the lack of elec types and the existing elec types specific placements happen to be right where they should be, near a electric based town, in the throwback safari zone, and hurr hurr chinchou is water/elec so its in the water, which is everywhere in hoenn". That's a really weak defense dude. I love gen IV to death, but there is just no defending its lack of Fire types. The same goes for Gen III and its lack of elec types..

As for primeape, don't you know what a Baboon is? Baboons are pretty vicious fighters and have a pig-like nose. That's where Primeape draws his inspiration from. He's the Pig Monkey Pokemon.

I never said Mawile's design wasn't unique, I just said it was cute but unappealing. And it is.

Custom

OK YOU DUMB NERDS
i actually did it
i listed 1-whatever for each gen of designs i even remotely liked
as long as i wasn't like "EW" i included it
THIS IS ALL SOLELY BASED OFF OF APPEARANCE I USE A LOT OF 5TH GEN POKE DUDES FOR THE MOVESETS AND STATS OK
here are the results

GEN 1:
124/151
82.12%

GEN 2:
71/100
71%

GEN 3:
123/135
91.11%

GEN 4:
61/107
57.01%

GEN 5:
55/156
36.26%

5th gen confirmed for poop designs

The Riddler

name the gen 5's you didnt like

Custom

Quote from: The Riddler on May 12, 2013, 02:58:38 PM
name the gen 5's you didnt like

i knew some aspie would ask me to list them all so i actually wrote them down
i didn't write down the ones i didn't like though because i'm a positive guy
(pro tip the ones not on this list are the ones i didn't like)

i have all the other gens written down as well if you want those
[spoiler]POKEDUDES I LIKE (by design only of course)
GEN 5
1. SNIVY
2. EMBOAR
3. PURRLOIN
4. PANSAGE
5. PANSEAR
6. BLITZLE
7. ROGGENROLA
8. GIGALITH
9. DRILBUR
10. EXCADRILL
11. AUDINO
12. SEWADDLE
13. SWADLOON
14.LEAVANNY
15. VENIPEDE
16. WHIRLIPEDE
17. SCOLIPEDE
18. WHIMSICOTT
19. PETILIL
20. LILLIGANT
21. MARACTUS
22. DWEBBLE
23. SCRAGGY
24. SCRAFTY
25. SIGILYPH
26. COFAGRIGUS
27. CARRACOSTA
28. ARCHEN
29. MINCCINO
30. CINCCINO
31. EMOLGA
32. FOONGUS
33. JOLTIK
34. GALVANTULA
35. KLINK
36. KLANG
37. KLINKLANG
38. TYNAMO
39. ELGYEM
40. LITWICK
41. LAMPENT
42. CHANDELURE
43. AXEW
44. FRAXURE
45. HAXORUS
46. CRYOGONAL
47. MIENSHAO
48. GOLURK
49. BISHARP
50. HEATMOR
51. DEINO
52. HYDREIGON
53. ZEKROM
54. KYUREM
55. GENESECT
55/156
36.26%
[/spoiler]

Zero

missing a lot of cool pokemon, and you like the abortion that is Audino? what. man, subjectivity sure is a strange beast

Custom

yeah audino is cool in the same way the blissey and those dudes are cool

Zero

Quote from: Custom on May 12, 2013, 03:31:51 PM
yeah audino is cool in the same way the blissey and those dudes are cool

people only like blissey because it can tank special hits bro