News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Kill me for saying this but...

Started by Linkman, December 08, 2007, 02:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NIGHTSHADOW1313

Honestly, Soulja Boy makes "The Sound of Music" look good. And I HATE that video.

But really, rap isn't much of a genre for music anyway. Maybe just poetic form set to beat/rhythm, but it's never truly "music." Music is: an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color. (as defined by dictionary.com). Note the and following the list of what music conveys (rhythm, melody, harmony,  and color). If rap can only basically show form to rhythm and maybe melody, it still is missing 5 other elements to music (I know, I take piano lessons). Those would be form, timbre, texture, expression, and harmony. And may I add that the rap "genre" is VERY lacking in those aspects. Basically put them together to make one, you get the element that gives music it's distinctiveness, it's unique structure both internally and externally through harmonious or melodious sound. Why does rap not have this? I'll say it again, it's just poetic form set to beat/rhythm. I have heard soulja boy, and there are a few notes playing in the back to (I guess) a steel drum. But honestly, it's just three notes, the whole song. To make musical composition, you need to have a piece consisting of some type of structure. I am almost more than certain that we all know that these are also only considered the "back-up" notes, but what harmony is there to convey if you don't have a seperate melody? I may be referencing the romantic/baroque time period bit much, but honestly, music should have some translation between seperate time lines. It's the separate form given to musical pieces that give them their ability to be interpreted through different means of style, but honestly, for rap, it's always stuck in this most current time period, as it has no flavor, taste, or any reason to be considered music for that matter as I hope I have explained.

whatwewishfor

No, I hear it everywhere I go.  It's really annoying.
whatever

metroidhunter777

This is amazing. This is exactly what I've been wanting to post for at least two months, but I could never find the words to say it. Kudos on being able to say this, because it's true.

@ Nightshadow1313

Nils_13

NIGHTSHADOW1313

Quote from: metroidhunter777 on December 28, 2007, 02:06:21 PM
This is amazing. This is exactly what I've been wanting to post for at least two months, but I could never find the words to say it. Kudos on being able to say this, because it's true.

@ Nightshadow1313

You're welcome. I've been trying a way to put it into some different perspective than what I do when I try to explain verbally as to how rap isn't music (I have a weird habit of being able to convey my thoughts better through typing/writing them, not saying). You're not the only one who's relieved.  ;)

Lotos

Quote from: Linkfan71 on December 08, 2007, 02:18:54 PM
Am I the only person in the world that does?

If you are, then President Bush has a high approval rating.

Gamemaster

Shujinco2

I hate that song called "Soulja Boy"

OMG THANK YOU!

You are now promoted! ;D

JMV

Quote from: Gamemaster on December 31, 2007, 04:13:12 PM
Quote from: Kazooie-Banjo on December 08, 2007, 02:29:13 PM
It's an embarassment to music.
You call that stuff music.
Rap is music as much as rock is.  Only a complete imbecile would claim otherwise.

Soulja Boy just sucks.
Boyah Forums | Join Boyah

JMV

Quote from: NIGHTSHADOW1313 on December 28, 2007, 10:41:29 AM
Honestly, Soulja Boy makes "The Sound of Music" look good. And I HATE that video.

But really, rap isn't much of a genre for music anyway. Maybe just poetic form set to beat/rhythm, but it's never truly "music." Music is: an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color. (as defined by dictionary.com). Note the and following the list of what music conveys (rhythm, melody, harmony,  and color). If rap can only basically show form to rhythm and maybe melody, it still is missing 5 other elements to music (I know, I take piano lessons). Those would be form, timbre, texture, expression, and harmony. And may I add that the rap "genre" is VERY lacking in those aspects. Basically put them together to make one, you get the element that gives music it's distinctiveness, it's unique structure both internally and externally through harmonious or melodious sound. Why does rap not have this? I'll say it again, it's just poetic form set to beat/rhythm. I have heard soulja boy, and there are a few notes playing in the back to (I guess) a steel drum. But honestly, it's just three notes, the whole song. To make musical composition, you need to have a piece consisting of some type of structure. I am almost more than certain that we all know that these are also only considered the "back-up" notes, but what harmony is there to convey if you don't have a seperate melody? I may be referencing the romantic/baroque time period bit much, but honestly, music should have some translation between seperate time lines. It's the separate form given to musical pieces that give them their ability to be interpreted through different means of style, but honestly, for rap, it's always stuck in this most current time period, as it has no flavor, taste, or any reason to be considered music for that matter as I hope I have explained.
Unless you are able to produce beats on the level of Stoupe, Necro, Southpaw, or any of the great producers I don't think you have the right to say what is music. also the site you cited also says rap is music http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rap%20music

Rhythm: Of course rap has that
Melody: Used, go listen to "Dance" or "War" by Nas for just 2 examples.
Harmony: As the link below states, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony utilize it(oh look its in their name)
Color: "Sound refers to aspects such as pitch, tone, timbre, dynamics, and several others."  Rap has that

http://www.collegetermpapers.com/TermPapers/Music/Musical_Characteristcs_of_Rap.shtml  Read that

but I understand you heard a whole song and play the piano so you are now an expert on a whole genre and its subgenres.

Linkman

Quote from: Shujinco on January 02, 2008, 12:36:26 AM
I hate that song called "Soulja Boy"

OMG THANK YOU!

You are now promoted! ;D
promoted?

Tahrann

Quote from: JMV290 on January 03, 2008, 04:58:59 PM
Rap is music as much as rock is.  Only a complete imbecile would claim otherwise.

Soulja Boy just sucks.

Agreed.

Except I like metal much more than rap.
Puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!

JMV

Quote from: Tahrann on January 03, 2008, 11:03:01 PM
Quote from: JMV290 on January 03, 2008, 04:58:59 PM

Soulja Boy just sucks.

Agreed.

Except I like metal much more than rap.
It's fine if some one doesn't like a genre, it really annoys me if they try claiming that it's not music or that the entire genre sucks.

I can't stand Snap (a subgenre of rap, which is home to the poop that many people complain about: Soulja Boy, D4L, Dem Franchize Boyz), it's probably some of the worst stuff I've heard, but that in no way defines the entire rap industry.

It's like me saying that country isn't music and it sucks because I don't like it.

Or me saying that Rock isn't music and it sucks because I hate some artists in a certain subgenre, it's stupid.   Using the transitive property also brings up some interesting and slightly humorous issues.

snap sucks and snap = rap, so rap sucks according to their logic.

but what about the genres that combine the two?  Rap Rock (rapcore), Acid Rap, death rap? with that logic

snap = rap = rapcore = rock so because snap sucks, rap sucks, so rapcore sucks, so rock sucks.

SHUTOKOU BATTLE 89

I hate Soulja Boy with a passion. I mean, what happened to real rap/hip-hop? I'm into the classics like Run-DMC, Davy DMX, Mantronix, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, ETC.  People cant really dance these days. I mean, I'm a pop-locker and some people always say to me "Why dont you do the walk it out or crank dat Soulja Boy". I simply tell them " because it's gay!".