Main Menu

good anime

Started by Waveburner, May 24, 2008, 09:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

Quote from: Co-Z on May 27, 2008, 06:41:01 PM
Quote from: Kaz on May 26, 2008, 08:21:05 PM
Quote from: Co-Z on May 26, 2008, 11:07:23 AM
As much as I hate anime, everyone thinks I should watch Cowboy Bebop.

wtf its about?

A couple of bounty hunters far in the future. They're "space cowboys." Good upbeat jazz soundtrack set to a lot of action and silly tongue-in-cheek philosophy. Great stuff.
o rly?
because
some people call me the space cowboy
that's a horribly annoying song ;_;
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

major tom

DSWiiMaster42

Quote from: Zovistograt on May 26, 2008, 03:10:59 PM
Quote from: DSWiiMaster42 on May 26, 2008, 02:45:54 PM
I don't know any Anime that has 26 or less episodes, but anyway I highly recommend Bleach or Inuyasha.
watch moar non-mainstream anime ;_;
What is a non-mainstream Anime? Sorry if I sound stupid for saying that. Is it an Anime that isn't normal?

Thanks to mackormoses for this badass sig!

SSBB friend code:1719-2939-0479
Characters I use: Ike (mostly), Sonic, or Captain Falcon
If you want to battle, please PM me.

Xbox Live gamercard: SegaSonic127

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Slashrulez724 (my old account got deleted)

Zovistograt

Quote from: DSWiiMaster42 on May 29, 2008, 03:07:30 PM
Quote from: Zovistograt on May 26, 2008, 03:10:59 PM
Quote from: DSWiiMaster42 on May 26, 2008, 02:45:54 PM
I don't know any Anime that has 26 or less episodes, but anyway I highly recommend Bleach or Inuyasha.
watch moar non-mainstream anime ;_;
What is a non-mainstream Anime? Sorry if I sound stupid for saying that. Is it an Anime that isn't normal?
I should've just said seinen.

Basically, anime that aren't shown as dubs on American TV.  The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Shakugan no Shana, Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku o!, Hayate no Gotoku, and even Azumanga Daioh! (was that ever shown on TV here?  I know there's a semi-popular-but-bad dub of it).
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Friendly Hostile

Never watch dubs.  Ever.  It's is almost never done well.

The only exception being Cowboy Bebop.  That is probably the only anime I have ever seen where I enjoyed the dub.

Gwen Khan

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on May 29, 2008, 07:25:30 PM
Never watch dubs.  Ever.  It's is almost never done well.

The only exception being Cowboy Bebop.  That is probably the only anime I have ever seen where I enjoyed the dub.

Full Metal had a pretty good dub

The Baron

It really depends on what you mean by "Good anime".  Good by what terms?  Any specific genre?  There's a huuuuge as Xbox list for good anime in general.

If anything, here are some suggestions I have.  This keyboard isn't registering all of my input, so I'm going to just suggest a few anime that I recall right now.

Comedy:

Azumanga Daioh (26? episodes) [Comedy] - Based off of a 4-koma series, so you can watch practically any episode and it would make sense.  It's the typical "slice of life" anime, with wacky schoolgirls going through their high school years together.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (14 episodes) [Comedy, drama]- It was rated the favorite anime in Japan of Summer 2006 for a reason.  Another slice of life comedy that soon turns into a sci-fi drama-type series, TMoHS delivers with its stereotypical characters.  Haruhi Suzumiya is a schoolgirl who is not interested in ordinary humans.  So, with her "slave" nicknamed Kyon, she creates a club called the SOS Brigade: Saving the World by Overloading it with Fun, Haruhi Suzumiya's Brigade.  In other words, a club where she can find aliens, time-travelers, and espers, and have fun with them.  Little does she know that three out of the five club members may just fit that criteria.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - [Comedy] - One of those pointless anime series that has a thin plot, yet can be absolutely hilarious to a lot of people.  This is where the "The Internet has left me in despair!"/"Zetsubou s***a!"/"DESPAIR!" meme comes from [/Captain Obvious].  It's about a suicidal teacher who meets up with a carefree, ditzy, optomistic girl.  The class he teaches includes a perfectionist, a hikikomori, a snobby bipolar transfer student, a quiet and cute spammer who flames people with her text messages, a random illegal immigrant, a stalker, and more.  Can someone say "insanity"?  If you like insane comedy, this is for you.  Made by the creators of Pani Poni Dash by the way, so if you liked that anime, you'll most likely enjoy this one.  If you hate this type of anime, don't watch it.

Soul Eater - [Comedy, Action, Drama] - This has been getting popular fast.  Think of it like Bleach in school.  In order to become powerful, a Meister/Weapon Master must team up with a Weapon (a person who transforms into a weapon) and collect 99 souls of evil and 1 soul of a witch.  With a PMSing girl Maka Albarn, a attention-whoring Naruto-cloned Black Star, and a symmetry OCD kid named Death the Kid, this anime focuses on a lot of comedy.  I'm personally not fond of such types of comedy myself, but apparently a lot of people do.

FLCL/Fooly Cooly/Furi Kuri (Six episodes) - [Comedy] - Mainstream anime that makes no sense.  A kid gets a bump on his head, and some alien chick named Haruko comes from outer space with her rockin! guitar and Vespa.  She occasionally hits him, and things come out of his head.  There's also a thick-eyebrowed man, a robot savior, and more.  Despite this, it's good to check out nonetheless.

Drama/Action/Adventure:

Baccano! [Drama/Action/Adventure] - Surprisingly, not many have heard of this anime.  It's actually quite good, especially if you're into character development, William Faulkner-like timelines, and bloodshed.  It takes place in the 1930s: the Prohibition era.  Several mafia-like families and pseudo-cannibalistic immortals venture into one train at the same time.  As the title may imply, there is "stupid commotion/noise" that occurs.  This is probably one of my favorite anime, hence my avatar.  First episode is slow and totally confusing, but each episode gets better and fills in all the details.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Classic anime is classic.  Someone already mentioned this, so I won't go into much detail.  But it's a psychological (with several references to Sigmund Freud's work) drama/action/sci-fi with mecha.  Wonderful, but still controversial anime.

Fate/Stay Night - [Romance/Drama/Action/Adventure] - A Type-Moon work that doesn't involve monologuing and pointless flashbacks of two seconds ago (I'm looking at you, Shingetsutan Tsukihime).  If you like S&M in an appropriate way (although inappropriate in the visual novel, go figure), swordswomen, magicians, and stuff you find in an MMORPG, you might want to check this one out.  First episodes are slow because they're explaining the rules.  The rest is action-packed though.

Romance:

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (12? - 14? episodes) - [Romance, Drama]  -  Incredibly popular with some audiences.  It's often known to make people tear up, seeing as tragedy occurs in the second episode.  From there, the situations keep getting more painful for both the main characters, and usually the viewer as well.  I can't say much else because a lot of it is spoilers.  Besides, I don't like this anime at all (nor any major romance genres), despite how hyped up it is.

Others:

-Gunslinger Girl - (Killer girls ensued)

-Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Killer loli ensued)

-Rozen Maiden - (Otaku gets a bunch of dolls, dolls turn alive and fight each other.)

-Clannad - (Kyoto Animation guarantees quality animation from this.  Also a Key work, see below.)

-AIR - ("Tear jerker" anime.  If you liked any of Key's works, you might want to check this out.)

-Cowboy Bebop - (Classic anime.  Enough said)

-Black Lagoon - (New type of Cowboy Bebop with a tatooed girl as a main character.)

-FullMetal Alchemist - (Not much to say.  Alchemy, Seven Deadly Sins, good plot.)

-Beck - (Music-oriented anime.  Never watched it, but seems good)

-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - (Pierce the Heavens with this testosterone-filled anime)

-Shakugan no Shana - (Hot loli and a sword)

-Hayate no Gotoku (Combat butlers, come on.)

-Detective Conan/Case Closed (Never ending (although that will change soon) series with impossible cases that make you feel smart after each episode)

-Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (Detective show with dark comedy and a detective that eats mysteries.  A bit cheesy for my tastes, but still watchable)

Will add to list later.

I'd also have to say that Haruhi might be considered mainstream now, although it's no Naruto or Bleach, for sure.  Especially at anime conventions.

DSWiiMaster42

Quote from: Zovistograt on May 29, 2008, 05:15:13 PM
I should've just said seinen.

Basically, anime that aren't shown as dubs on American TV.  The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Shakugan no Shana, Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku o!, Hayate no Gotoku, and even Azumanga Daioh! (was that ever shown on TV here?  I know there's a semi-popular-but-bad dub of it).
Thanks. I'll have to watch the Azumanga Daioh anime soon, but I've read some of the manga and it was really funny.

Thanks to mackormoses for this badass sig!

SSBB friend code:1719-2939-0479
Characters I use: Ike (mostly), Sonic, or Captain Falcon
If you want to battle, please PM me.

Xbox Live gamercard: SegaSonic127

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Slashrulez724 (my old account got deleted)

Zovistograt

Quote from: The Baron on May 29, 2008, 08:25:21 PM
-Shakugan no Shana - (Hot loli and a sword)
I lol'd

but if you want to strip it down to its bare minimum, I guess that's kinda true.  Just add extradimensional beings, power of existence, and fuzetsu and you basically have SnS :B

Apollo

i just started watching zoids: new century
its pretty good 26 episodes