News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Death Metal Anyone?

Started by tibar21, August 22, 2008, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tibar21

Quote from: Beatnik on December 18, 2008, 09:17:57 AM
Once again, that's not a very diverse group.

Just because I'm bored, I decided to sort those bands by genre to make my point a little clearer.

Punk rock: The Addicts, Bad Religion The Bouncing Souls, The Clash, Cockney Rejects, Dead Kennedys, Goldfinger, NOFX, Pennywise, The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Sex Pistols, Social Distortion, Subhumans, Vandals and 7 Seconds.

Other: Smashing Pumpkins and AFI, although AFI has some stuff thats borderline punk.

Couldn't find: Mad Parade and Welt.
I didn't say it was a diversed group of artists. I was making the point that pop-punk/alternative isn't the only stuff I listen to.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

tibar21

Quote from: Chloroform? on December 18, 2008, 11:34:23 AM
It's still pop-punk, it doesn't have the edge that legit punk has because they care about how much money they make too much and cater towards pop culture. I actually listen to/have listened to most of the music you talk about, but you seem to be stuck in the bubble of what you listen to. Just cause a song has a "bad word" doesn't mean it's not directed to the mainstream audience.

Also like Beatnik said, all those bands ARE pop-punk, punk, and alternative. That doesn't mean they're bad, but you can't possibly call yourself someone who branches out and listens to all sorts of genres when you really have like, 3 genres (that are all pretty closely related) worth of taste. Also I laugh at you calling it "the most inventive and creative music out there." I'm not knocking their music or anything, but even they would laugh at someone saying that (except for a few like Green Day who seem to think they're musical geniuses even though over half their songs are made up of three chords).
an F-bomb or two will sometimes stop radio stations from getting certain songs, but its more about what those songs are about. If it has a title like "Sex with his sister" or its about a murderer or something (like Chop Shop by Mxpx) its obviously not radio friendly. and many poppunk/ alternative bands have songs like that.  listen to "Please Put This Song on the Radio" by NOFX.

You need to get in your head that poppunk bands don't care too much about the money. they love the fans (at least most of them) and giving them music. You don't need  to be in a genre with little chance for success (like death metal) to prove you're in it for the music more than the money.

Absolutely none of those bands I mentioned are poppunk/alternative. Smashing Pumpkins would be the band in that group that's closest to alternative. All of them are absolute punk bands.

Beatnik

Quote from: tibar21 on December 18, 2008, 06:12:23 PM
Quote from: Beatnik on December 18, 2008, 09:17:57 AM
Once again, that's not a very diverse group.

Just because I'm bored, I decided to sort those bands by genre to make my point a little clearer.

Punk rock: The Addicts, Bad Religion The Bouncing Souls, The Clash, Cockney Rejects, Dead Kennedys, Goldfinger, NOFX, Pennywise, The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Sex Pistols, Social Distortion, Subhumans, Vandals and 7 Seconds.

Other: Smashing Pumpkins and AFI, although AFI has some stuff thats borderline punk.

Couldn't find: Mad Parade and Welt.
I didn't say it was a diversed group of artists. I was making the point that pop-punk/alternative isn't the only stuff I listen to.

Alright, so you don't listen to two genres. You listen to three. Wow man, you really showed us.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

metroidhunter777

Quote from: Beatnik on December 17, 2008, 04:07:38 PM
He wasn't calling them a death metal band. He was making the point that Satanic themes don't make you Satanic.

Sarcasm, it was. You have to watch that. It's very hard to catch. :p

There's little to add to this except that if this is some sort of an argument, tibar is getting his ass handed to him. :x

Metalbott

Quote from: tibar21 on December 17, 2008, 07:46:02 PM
Quote from: Chloroform? on December 17, 2008, 04:32:55 PM
Quote from: tibar21 on December 15, 2008, 08:25:05 AM
if you think pop-punk is so radio friendly, go listen to give me one good reason by blink-182. you obviously don't know what ur talking about. the main attribute of punk is sending a political message or at least having rebelling lyrics.. last I check Green Day doesn't really do that. they only have the muted guitars which gives it a punk sound. even Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols said that Green Day wasn't punk at all. Green Day is just an alternative rock band.

I said "POP PUNK ISN'T REALLY PUNK, IT'S JUST BANDS THAT TOOK PUNK ELEMENTS AND MADE IT MORE RADIO FRIENDLY."

And Blink 182 is incredibly radio friendly and mainstream. More so than even Green Day in the 90s. The whole reason it's called "Pop-punk" is because it's POP with PUNK elements. Hence POP PUNK. How can you possibly think that it won't be radio friendly? You seem to act like you have some sort of authority over the classification of music even though you don't know what you're talking about. You should look up some definitions of genres maybe, and possibly even branch out and listen to things outside the pop-punk/alternative genre, before acting like the all knowing music collector with a wide variety of tastes.
blink-182 has songs called "f**k a dog, Grandpa is an assehole, happy holidays you bastard, when you f**ked Granpa, and sex with his sister."  Just because a band's select group of songs that appeal to mainstream audiences are radio friendly it doesn't tottally classify the genre they play. Overall They're definitely not a "radio friendly band."
You probably only say that they are because you've only heard "All the small things, I miss you," etc.
They're pop punk and in my opinion the best poppunk band, but they have an edge to their music. You probably haven't even heard their early stuff which is a lot better than their later stuff.
there's plenty of punk/alternative bands have not radiofriendly songs like
Green Day- Platypus (I hate you)
Mxpx- Chop Shop
Bowling For Soup- Next Ex-Girlfriend
Green Day-St. Jimmy
Pennywise- F**k Authority

I'm not outside the poppunk/alternative genre? 

You have no idea what I listen to. Just going through some of my iTunes
The Adicts, AFI (early stuff), Bad Religion, Bouncing Souls, the Clash, Cockney Rejects, Dead Kennedys, Goldfinger,
NOFX, Pennywise, The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Sex Pistols, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Subhumans,
Vandals, Mad Parade, 7 Seconds, and Welt. Some of the most inventive and creative music out there.

Open your mind. It's amazing that you think that's some of the most creative music. Don't listen to death metal if you dont like it, but hell, your closing yourself up from the amazing world of real music out there.

tibar21

I was born with that taste of music and I've never liked anything else. I've tries just about everything, but no.

And one genre is a big difference in someone's musical taste. what if I started listening to hip hop? people would view my musical taste really differently. And it doesn't matter if the genres are similar to eachother or not.

Listening to one genre isn't a bad thing. It shows more commitment to that genre. I think like that because my music means a lot more to me than most other people.

Beatnik

I looked at your profile. Even within the genres you like, it seems that you mostly stick to the more popular bands, rather than searching a little harder for more obscure ones who haven't sacrificed their uniqueness in order to cater to a wider audience. You're not dedicated to the genre, you're trapped in it.

I'm not talking out of my ass, I know how it works because I used to be just like you. Listening to the music that was easy to find, thinking I was special for listening to bands that have millions of other fans, basically swallowing anything the so called non-conformist subculture spat out at me. Fortunately I grew out of it. I hope you will too.

I've said all that I can say in this debate, and I'm prety sure I'm done with it. If somebody doesn't want to listen to death metal, that's their prerogative, but making a thread about how much you think it sucks is another matter. That's all I have to say. Thanks for the debate.

Edit: I was grumpy when I wrote that. Don't take it too seriously.

Edit2: When I say "grumpy," what I really mean is when I was on a low (I'm bipolar) and I pretty much hated everyone on the planet. I'm over it now.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

tibar21

I am dedicated to the genre. There's almost always a good reason why the band is popular. They're usually more qualified or talented than obscure.

Chloroform?

Actually a lot of popular music is only popular because the record companies get radio stations and MTV to play the music constantly so that as many people as possible can get to download it either because they found it catchy or because they feel like they need to keep up with the popular trends. It USED to be so that popular bands were also some of the best bands (back in like, the 70s) but somehow that changed. Nowadays most of the talented bands and musicians are less noticed than the simple music by numbers crap that are publicized so much. This is a generalization of course, cause there are plenty of famous bands that are deserving, but the ratio has definitely shifted.

Also why would you want to dedicate yourself to only one genre? There's so much out there to listen to and discover.

Beatnik

That's like somebody who only eats one food. That's not dedication, it's immaturity.

HTA!

Quote from: Beatnik on December 23, 2008, 09:39:47 PM
That's like somebody who only eats one food. That's not dedication, it's immaturity.
And vitamin deficiency.

Beatnik

Fortunately, unlike malnutrition, being musically unadventurous doesn't make your liver shrivel up.

It just makes you boring.

tibar21

Quote from: Chloroform? on December 23, 2008, 02:11:57 PM
Actually a lot of popular music is only popular because the record companies get radio stations and MTV to play the music constantly so that as many people as possible can get to download it either because they found it catchy or because they feel like they need to keep up with the popular trends. It USED to be so that popular bands were also some of the best bands (back in like, the 70s) but somehow that changed. Nowadays most of the talented bands and musicians are less noticed than the simple music by numbers crap that are publicized so much. This is a generalization of course, cause there are plenty of famous bands that are deserving, but the ratio has definitely shifted.

Also why would you want to dedicate yourself to only one genre? There's so much out there to listen to and discover.

I understand that. That's generally why bands I like within the punk/alternative genre don't see much time on the radiostation that almost everybody listens to. Do you actually think that someone who likes punk will also like pop or rap or folk or classical? Punk is often for people that don't care for any other stlye of music that's too far away from it.

metroidhunter777

Quote from: tibar21 on December 26, 2008, 05:03:25 PM

I understand that. That's generally why bands I like within the punk/alternative genre don't see much time on the radiostation that almost everybody listens to. Do you actually think that someone who likes punk will also like pop or rap or folk or classical? Punk is often for people that don't care for any other stlye of music that's too far away from it.

Then that's still narrow-minded. Again, shot yourself in the foot. I mainly listen to metal or progressive rock/metal, but I highly enjoy classic rock and orchestrated or symphonic music. There's no set rule that says "people who like *genre* only listen to *genre* because they're too *adjective*." =\

Java

Quote from: metroidhunter777 on December 26, 2008, 05:48:54 PM
Quote from: tibar21 on December 26, 2008, 05:03:25 PM

Then that's still narrow-minded. Again, shot yourself in the foot. I mainly listen to metal or progressive rock/metal, but I highly enjoy classic rock and orchestrated or symphonic music. There's no set rule that says "people who like *genre* only listen to *genre* because they're too *adjective*." =\
Hey, what's this? I listen to anything from Rock to Salsa to Hip-Hop to Disco to R&B to Alternative to Reggaeton to anything as long as it sounds good to my ears.