Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Quote from: Java_Java on November 29, 2008, 03:02:16 PM
Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on November 29, 2008, 02:59:10 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on November 29, 2008, 02:41:23 PM
Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on November 29, 2008, 02:03:52 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on November 29, 2008, 01:46:56 PM
Quote from: Java_Java on November 29, 2008, 01:27:11 PM
How could I forget one of the best Christmas carols of all time?!

Mi Burrito Sabanero.
Ignore the little kids singing it and listen to the main track playing.

I LOVE that song!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Yeah, I do know you're Jewish Nayr, but Christmas doesn't just have to be about the religious holiday, I also find it to be a time of sharing and joy.

I really haven't heard many Hannukah songs either, but if they played them on the radio or they had more Hannukah decorations, I wouldn't have a problem.

You mentioned malls putting up a menorah or dreidel up, but are there more Hannukah decorations?
If there are, I wouldn't mind seeing them at all.
none that idiot america would understand...  :-\
Example?

Oh, there's a new book called The Latke Who Wouldn't Stop Screaming. Written by Lemony Snicket, oddly enough. You should read it, it's pretty good for a kid's book.

oil and various foods. We live in america remember, ppl just know it exists not anything actually about it.
Ugh, and CBS is already showing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer next weekend... It'd barely be december at that point. At least Hanukkah is relatively late this year.
Stuff like Challah, Matza, and Latkes, right?

They're showing it so early because some guy found the original puppets for Rudolph and Santa in his attic and restored them.
Matza's for Passover, isn't it? Or is it also used in Hannukah?
There's also the gold coins for the dreidel game.

I still don't understand how you would use them as decoration though. o_O
Make it out of plastic.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Matzoh is passover X_X;;
The chocolate coins you're thinking of is gelt, and yes as decoration just use cheap-o plastic ones.
Well, the thing is Hanukkah isn't a terribly important jewish holiday. It's only a big deal because it happens around xmas time.
Our real important ones come in September....which so often get overlooked (and since I'm in the south my school system were total deuchbags regarding them)

Tupin

Quote from: Nayrman on November 29, 2008, 05:53:18 PM
Matzoh is passover X_X;;
The chocolate coins you're thinking of is gelt, and yes as decoration just use cheap-o plastic ones.
Well, the thing is Hanukkah isn't a terribly important jewish holiday. It's only a big deal because it happens around xmas time.
Our real important ones come in September....which so often get overlooked (and since I'm in the south my school system were total deuchbags regarding them)
Sorry if I offended you, I'm not Jewish.

In my school district, it's a free day off and doesn't count towards absence.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Java

Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano is also a carol that I love.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on November 29, 2008, 06:46:05 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on November 29, 2008, 05:53:18 PM
Matzoh is passover X_X;;
Sorry if I offended you, I'm not Jewish.

In my school district, it's a free day off and doesn't count towards absence.
Ignorance is fine, just blatant show-offiness is annoying (meaning the 30 straight days of Xmas crap forever X_X;; )
It's a free day off, but we still have to make up all the darn work and some older teachers (no doubt at least somewhat racist, etc.) tend to hold tests/projects and stuff that day. At least in my previous district (thank goodness for college). But meh, that's the south for you. Half of 'em are still chouvanistic pigs.

Java

Our school district would just assign a "Teacher's Workday" on Jewish holidays.

They do the same with Good Friday.

Nayrman

Quote from: Java_Java on November 29, 2008, 07:37:54 PM

well, were do you live? (you don't have to answer, just curious)
I know my old neighborhood in Chicago gets Rosh Hashona (crap, even I don't know how to spell it XD ) and Yom Kippur off for everyone since there isn't a clear majority in those areas (most people are some kind of minority). New York I know is similar in some areas...

Red

Quote from: Nayrman on November 29, 2008, 07:48:12 PM

I know my old neighborhood in Chicago gets Rosh Hashona (crap, even I don't know how to spell it XD ) and Yom Kippur off for everyone since there isn't a clear majority in those areas (most people are some kind of minority). New Jersey I know is similar in some areas...
I got off for EVERY single religious holiday in my state.

Java

Quote from: Nayrman on November 29, 2008, 07:48:12 PM

I know my old neighborhood in Chicago gets Rosh Hashona (crap, even I don't know how to spell it XD ) and Yom Kippur off for everyone since there isn't a clear majority in those areas (most people are some kind of minority). New York I know is similar in some areas...
Actually there's a clear Christian majority over here, however we do have quite a large Jewish population.

Mutilator7

FROSTY THE SNOWMAN, who could forget his jolly-ness and his ability to tell he will melt that day so he runs down to the village with a bunch of kids who put this magical silk on his head to bring him to life, he only paused a MOMENT, ONE FREAKIN' MOMENT, and heard the traffic man holler STOP!! Then he goes away, my favorite christmas carol, rudolph sucks compared to frosty.

Neerb

Frosty is evil!  I mean, think about it:  these creepy little kids use a magic hat and start chanting in order to bring this pile of snow to life, then he tries to lead them to his arctic lair like the freakin Pied Piper!  :O

Seriously though, I like the 12 Days of Christmas (unless everyone around me starts singing along to it X_X ) and the Christmas songs by the Trans-siberian (sp?) Orchestra.  Those guys are awesome.