News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Music that screws with your mind

Started by Zovistograt, July 20, 2008, 05:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

Has music ever messed with your brain?  Like, have you thought you heard fragments of a song when it's just ambient noise, or have you heard things in a song that aren't there, or have you thought things that are in a song are something else?

The latter is more common with me...when I'm half asleep, some random things in songs startle me.  Also, when I was listening to "Another One Bites the Dust" one day, that last sound effect before the song kicks in again made me think someone was coming in the door, seriously.

Weirder are the former two.  "Raise Cain" by The Stunned Guys has an eerie female vocal that I really think I'm hearing especially in the shower, where the water makes a similar noise.  It drives me crazy.

Weirder still, ever since one night in 6th grade, whenever I listen to "Bowser's Rage" from Paper Mario (N64), I hear beeps of a cordless phone from when someone was dialing right next to me that night.  They won't go away and it creeps me out.

You?
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Lotos

That Bagel Song sounds longer than it really is.

Riosan

Revolution 9.

I don't consider it music, just noise.
[21:51]   <Smashin>   No one likes a sad fat kid.
[21:51]   Mystic has left #nsider (Leaving.)

Zovistograt

Quote from: Riosan on July 23, 2008, 04:45:02 AM
Revolution 9.

Everything can be music, it's just a matter of how much you appreciate it.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Riosan

Quote from: Zovistograt on July 23, 2008, 04:58:17 AM

Except it's not music, it's just a random collage of noise and sounds. :\

It's crap, and should have been left off the album.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Riosan on July 23, 2008, 05:17:42 AM
Quote from: Zovistograt on July 23, 2008, 04:58:17 AM

Except it's not music, it's just a random collage of noise and sounds. :\

It's crap, and should have been left off the album.
I consider that music.  Just very experimental music.

Although...I also consider the sound of a jackhammer to be industrial speedcore.

Ron

Yeah that happens to me with a few random songs as well. Can't give an example, but i know it's happened to me.

Click me ^

Java

Quote from: Riosan on July 23, 2008, 04:45:02 AM
Revolution 9.

That "song" is just...It's indescribable.

It may be the creepiest thing I've ever heard.

Chloroform?

A lot of times when I'm listening to music I think somebody is calling my name, so sometimes I find myself taking off my headphones or pausing my music only to see that nobody was calling for me.

Silly_Penguin

I've said it before, and i'll say it again....

...anything by John Cage seriously freaks me out...

Zovistograt

Quote from: Silly_Penguin on July 23, 2008, 08:39:07 PM
I've said it before, and i'll say it again....

...anything by John Cage seriously freaks me out...
lulz

Riosan

Quote from: Chloroform? on July 23, 2008, 08:25:22 PM
A lot of times when I'm listening to music I think somebody is calling my name, so sometimes I find myself taking off my headphones or pausing my music only to see that nobody was calling for me.

That happens to me too. At like 3 different points in Across the Universe, I swear I hear my mom calling my name.

It's weird.

Lohn Jocke

Every Time I listen to a song from Homestar Runner, I have the urge to kick a The Cheat.

(And No, That WASN'T A Grammar error)