News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

You know what I say we need...a 3-D Yoshi platformer. (Ideas inside)

Started by Chain Chompesque, January 09, 2008, 09:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chain Chompesque

Now, before you run up and say, "Blargg, SM64DS!", just hold on for a sec. Super Mario 64 DS, while it was a 3-D platformer and had Yoshi playable...wasn't really a 3-D Yoshi platformer. First, the levels were originally designed for Mario, and Yoshi handles differently. Second, Yoshi is only used for a part of the game, since you'll be using the other three characters for most of it. He'll even be wearing a transform cap most of the time you're using him for different abilities, so he's really not much. By a 3-D Yoshi platformer, I mean one that has Yoshi as a single protagonist for the Wii.

Anyways, I haven't really thought up the story much, but it would involve the Yoshis being at war with Shy Guys. The general concept would be similar to Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy, getting "Stars" (In this case, probably something like golden melons or Yoshi artifacts) at the ends of levels. You would need the power of these to overthrow the Shy Guy chief enslaving the Yoshis. Of course, there would be 120 of the artifacts to keep the tradition. Basically, you start off with a small, shabby boat on Yoshi's Island. (The enslaved Yoshis are on Shy Guy Island.) From there, you could sail to a few nearby islands, which would be the levels of the game. Usually, they'd be varied and different, each containing 2-5 Yoshi Artifacts. As you gain more artifacts and coins throughout the levels, you'll be able to buy upgrades to your boat and sail to more distant islands. One of them would even be Isle Delphino! A few would just be weird and random, like in Galaxy...one of the first ones would be Cookie Island. I'm still deciding whether sailing would be a major part of the game (Like Wind Waker) or whether you just say to go to Point X and you go straight to Point X.

The game would work with a slightly more complex damage system than Galaxy did--Yoshi starts of with 30 hit points, and gradually gains expansions throughout the game, adding 10 hit points each. You'd need to keep an eye on it, and it would be a little more complex and more challenging than Galaxy--None of this 1 damage stuff. Yoshi could punch, kick, ground pound, or even lick up and chew enemies for his attacks. You'd fight varieties of enemies, including classics like Goombas and whatnot. Of course, Shy Guys would be Yoshi's main enemies. There would be a good number of different kinds of them, some from Paper Mario like the Spy Guy or Fly Guy. Yoshi could swallow weakened enemies or certain objects to make eggs. After buying certain Egg Attachments at the shop, you could even make a few special ones like Boomerang Eggs or Bomb Eggs. You would aim with the Wii Remote like in Metroid Prime 3 to aim your egg throws with precision.

It wouldn't be Yoshi without fruits, though. Special powerup fruits would be found throughout the levels. There wouldn't be a lot, but you'd find a few in each level. For a good bit of cash, Yoshi could also buy Silver Fruits at the shop to permanently increase his stats.

Apple-Increases tongue range slightly.
Orange-Increases jumping hight slightly.
Pear-Increases ordinary attack power slightly.
Banana-Increases projectile (Egg) power slightly.
Strawberry-Increases running speed slightly.
Grapes-Restores 5 hit points. Common.
Melon-Increases max hit points by 10, permanently. Rare.

At the store on Yoshi's Island, you could spend coins to get Silver Fruits, Egg Attachments (Give you special eggs when you want them), a few special abilities, enemies for the enemypedia, soundtracks from the game, and all that kind of stuff.

----------

Kind of incomplete, I know, but it's just a start. Whaddaya think? Suggestions?
To be seen, stand up. To be heard, speak up. To be appreciated, shut up.
Also, you can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Join the Mushroom Kingdom wars!

Join the Pikmin wars!

Dumple Land! <-Click this one.
Labor! I said labor, dang it!
Time for transport!