News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Clarification on action replay

Started by tibar21, April 29, 2009, 04:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tibar21

i'm really leaning on getting action replay for the DS for pearl. i did research online and some people didn't mention any risks and some said that if you type the code in wrong there a chance your file will get deleted. that true?
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Rayquarian

Probably, but if you use a flashcart or an emulator, that wouldn't be a problem.

tibar21

Quote from: Rayquarian on April 29, 2009, 05:19:09 PM
Probably, but if you use a flashcart or an emulator, that wouldn't be a problem.
what are flashcarts and emulators?

JrDude

I was in a Serebii chat room, soon after I got there, another person came in and said "Action Replay erased my Diamond file! Help me!" or something of the sort. But I think I have a wrong code on my action replay (doesn't work) and my Pearl file's fine.
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

As long as you're not a complete idiot, Action Replay has no notable risks.
And for extra cautiousness, it's probably best not to:
  • Save when using codes that don't work
  • Use a code to reach an inescapable area, especially with 'walk through walls'
  • Save after a code makes something really weird, like making a Pokemon's HP bar exceed the width of the screen, corrupting the tiles you see on-screen, make NPCs speak really strange symbols, etc. (generally anything that Missingno can cause in older games)
  • Trigger storyline events out-of-order by using an HM before you should or walking through walls.
  • Use Pokemon with unrealistic stats or movesets online
  • Enable every single code at once

RX-78-2

Don't use Action Replay because:
- It's not worth it
- No self-respecting Pokemon trainer would DARE USE IT
- No self-respecting Pokemon trainer would respect YOU if you used it
- It's a waste of time, money, effort, etc.
- It could harm your game

ALSO, emulators (copies of games made into computer files) are bad because you can't trade or play with others and they're all ILLEGAL.

Flashcarts? lolwut
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

JrDude

Quote from: TerribleFrog on May 03, 2009, 06:41:04 PM
Don't use Action Replay because:
- It's not worth it
- No self-respecting Pokemon trainer would DARE USE IT
- No self-respecting Pokemon trainer would respect YOU if you used it
- It's a waste of time, money, effort, etc.
- It could harm your game
- Yes it is.
- I may not respect myself, and neither does Bluaki (dislikes his gender), so maybe you're right there.
- Many people respect Bluaki, and everyone knows he uses it, so wrong there.
- Wrong.
- True, but that's mostly if you overuse it and use it stupidly.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Macawmoses

Just as a point though, should you use it here, and on Pokemon, make sure any trades you do are legit. Make sure the user knows they are getting a "hacked" Pokemon. And no, many legitimate trainers use one.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Macbeth on May 04, 2009, 10:22:32 PM
Just as a point though, should you use it here, and on Pokemon, make sure any trades you do are legit. Make sure the user knows they are getting a "hacked" Pokemon. And no, many legitimate trainers use one.

WRONG. Sorry for being blunt and outright disagreeing, but hacking is not legitimate. Is hacking into someone's computer legitimate? I think not. Hacking in a Pokemon game is cheating. If you hack, you cheat, and are therefore not legitimate. If you couldn't normally get a [insert wanted Pokemon here] through normal gameplay, what makes you think you can get it through Action Replay and call it legitimate? It was meant to be that way. It's just the way the games were made. The developers meant for gamers to actually travel to downloads, the only legitimate way to get many Pokemon. Action Replay and similar devices are meant for cheating/hacking and obtaining Pokemon in ways that they are not normally meant to be obtained. Please don't try to legitimize cheating/hacking, etc. and any variations thereof. It'll just make you look desperate (no offense).
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Friendly Hostile

TerribleFrog, just shut up. You're making yourself look like a fool.

Matt

Everyone here is laughing at you, Terriblefrog.

Ridley

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on May 11, 2009, 09:40:05 AM
TerribleFrog, just shut up. You're making yourself look like a fool.

Well you have to agree to an extent. I hack all the time but I use it for multiplayer games where no progress is made. Using it to hack a one player game just so you can skip most of the play through does seem a bit of a waste to me.
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: Ridley on May 11, 2009, 10:30:23 AM
Well you have to agree to an extent. I hack all the time but I use it for multiplayer games where no progress is made. Using it to hack a one player game just so you can skip most of the play through does seem a bit of a waste to me.
The way he's choosing to present that opinion is why he should quit now instead of arguing this further.  He's not helping his case at all.

Macawmoses

Quote from: TerribleFrog
WRONG.

Oh this should be fun.
Quote from: TerribleFrogSorry for being blunt and outright disagreeing, but hacking is not legitimate.

I don't claim it is LEGIT, I clearly note that if one does hack, they should inform the users of the trade as a condition. This way I don't have to hound them for causing issues. I also note that legitimate trainers may hack, but I never specifically say it is.

Quote from: TerribleFrogIs hacking into someone's computer legitimate? I think not.
Is using an anti venom to stop poisoning legit? The fact is you are using a poison to cure poisoning. As such, hacking can be a legitimate process - it all depends on the circumstance. Use founded arguments, not fallacies, please.

Quote from: TerribleFrogHacking in a Pokemon game is cheating. If you hack, you cheat, and are therefore not legitimate.
What is illegitimate here, though? You're using a device to enhance your own gameplay - is that not the point of video games?

Quote from: TerribleFrogIf you couldn't normally get a [insert wanted Pokemon here] through normal gameplay, what makes you think you can get it through Action Replay and call it legitimate?

Many "hackers" use devices to help speed up the process of finding perfectly IV'd Pokemon, rather than SRíng constantly, they can make the process a bit easier on themselves. They still go through and do the work, it's just a matter of how.

Quote from: TerribleFrogIt was meant to be that way. It's just the way the games were made. The developers meant for gamers to actually travel to downloads, the only legitimate way to get many Pokemon. Action Replay and similar devices are meant for cheating/hacking and obtaining Pokemon in ways that they are not normally meant to be obtained.
No, you missed the boat. Hacked Pokemon can't get you events. You can't hack a legitimate event - never have been able to, never will. What you can hack is a desirable Pokemon in terms of stats, etc. And who are you to dictate how a Pokémon is meant to be obtained? Unless you developed the game yourself, you're just a bystander.

Quote from: TerribleFrogPlease don't try to legitimize cheating/hacking, etc. and any variations thereof. It'll just make you look desperate (no offense).
How do I look desperate? I myself don't partake in hacking, but I have numerous friends that do for the reasons highlighted above and a myriad of others. Said process has no effect on the game and is strictly a matter of convenience. Your vendetta against it bothers me, mainly because you haven't presented a solid reason not to use devices as such. SHFFLing in Smash Bros. could therefore be called hacking, but it isn't - merely exploiting something that was overlooked. Nothing wrong with that. And in terms of this board and this forum, hacking is perfectly acceptable.

tibar21

i got action replay and since  i have an ancient pearl file that i'd cry if i lost it (it has everything from every game i've played on there) i use my platinum that i never bothered beating as my guinea pig. i hack my platinum to get rare candies, Tm's, etc. and trade pearl pokemon to platinum, give them the goods, and then trade them back. I've been doing it for a week and its worked great.

For those of you that are against action replay you should open your eyes.Technically hacking for rare candies isn't cheating. I mean, I don't have the time to sit around and beat the elite 4 200 times just so my Salemence grows to level 80. Nor do I have the time to beat the battle tower 200 times so i can get one rare candy or TM. Besides, it has a drawback ( pokemon leveled by rare candies don't have as high a potential in terms of stats as purely trained pokemon), which therefore makes it fair; I'm making a sacrifice. And where am I supposed to get a decent TM? I don't have wi-fi, so my only outside resources are Red, Sapphire/Colleseum. Just to be clear its not like i use it to get all my gym badges and nat dex for me. I don't use use it to hack pokemon I don't have (unless I want it for my party), I'm not much of a collector. I only like to battle really. Basically anyone that doesn't want to spend hours beating the elite 4 over and over again and doesn't have wi-fi could have a lot more opportunity by getting action replay.

oh yeah, thanks for the advice people.