News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Clarification on action replay

Started by tibar21, April 29, 2009, 04:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatGonzales106

Quote from: tibar21 on May 11, 2009, 06:44:05 PM
( pokemon leveled by rare candies don't have as high a potential in terms of stats as purely trained pokemon)
Actually, if a Pokémon is already fully EV trained, then it doesn't matter how you level it up to 100, the stats will be the same.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Macbeth on May 11, 2009, 03:20:45 PM
Oh this should be fun.
I don't claim it is LEGIT, I clearly note that if one does hack, they should inform the users of the trade as a condition. This way I don't have to hound them for causing issues. I also note that legitimate trainers may hack, but I never specifically say it is.
Is using an anti venom to stop poisoning legit? The fact is you are using a poison to cure poisoning. As such, hacking can be a legitimate process - it all depends on the circumstance. Use founded arguments, not fallacies, please.
What is illegitimate here, though? You're using a device to enhance your own gameplay - is that not the point of video games?

Many "hackers" use devices to help speed up the process of finding perfectly IV'd Pokemon, rather than SRíng constantly, they can make the process a bit easier on themselves. They still go through and do the work, it's just a matter of how.
No, you missed the boat. Hacked Pokemon can't get you events. You can't hack a legitimate event - never have been able to, never will. What you can hack is a desirable Pokemon in terms of stats, etc. And who are you to dictate how a Pokémon is meant to be obtained? Unless you developed the game yourself, you're just a bystander.
How do I look desperate? I myself don't partake in hacking, but I have numerous friends that do for the reasons highlighted above and a myriad of others. Said process has no effect on the game and is strictly a matter of convenience. Your vendetta against it bothers me, mainly because you haven't presented a solid reason not to use devices as such. SHFFLing in Smash Bros. could therefore be called hacking, but it isn't - merely exploiting something that was overlooked. Nothing wrong with that. And in terms of this board and this forum, hacking is perfectly acceptable.

All right, I agree that you should inform people of trades with hacked Pokemon. I accidentally traded for a hacked Darkrai (which I will probably never use) and didn't find out until after the trade.

Also, you may be right in the case that hacking can be a legitimate process, but it is not in this case. I shouldn't have used that analogy because we're not talking about stealing someone's "docs", it's just a Pokemon game. But then again, we're not talking about an anti venom curing poison. That analogy is wrong also (in the case of anti venom:poison : hacking/Action Replay etc.:Pokemon games) because the anti venom is a solution to a problem. No problem exists (that can be hacked to overcome) in any Pokemon game unless the trainer decides to make a problem out of it (i.e. Pokemon not on high level, needs good EV's, needs good IV's etc.). All other "problems" are present in the main storyline and can easily be beaten by progressing through the main game.

"Enhance [my] own gameplay"? I'd say that's good, but it's not the main point of video games. Isn't the main point of video games to have fun? I think that's a fair generalization. Of course, some people may use Action Replay to further their video gaming enjoyment, but in the case of Pokemon games, if you want to legitimately battle another trainer fairly, Action Replay is not acceptable for use on either side. It just gives an unfair advantage to one player. If handicaps are used, I could see the argument, but in a fair fight? I think not. It just allows one trainer to achieve better things in shorter amounts of time. I don't think that's fair. In case you didn't know, all this time, I've been talking about official competitive play. I don't approve of Action Replay in any case, but I guess it's okay when used among a group of friends who casually play without serious battling intention. But isn't it a competition to see who can cheat the best? That changes the spirit of the game, in my opinion.

And no, I didn't "miss the boat". You have the opposite understood. I didn't say hacked Pokemon can get you events nor did I say that you can hack legitimate events. I may be just a "bystander", but I'm not dictating how they can be obtained. I'm merely stating how they are meant to be obtained. I said that for some Pokemon (i.e. Mew, Deoxys, Darkrai, Celebi, etc.) you must travel in the real world to a download event (i.e. at Toys 'R' Us, GameStop") at a certain time to download a Pokemon. This information is revealed by Pokemon.com whenever it is available.

The possible effect hacking can have on a game is erase it or corrupt it. I'll admit that I haven't heard much of these except for the infamous "bad egg" which erases the file that it is saved in (after three cheats are used). I'm not sure if it still exists, but I'm pretty sure it has happened before.

I don't know what "SHFFLing" is (I'm not a big Brawl player) but Action Replay isn't something that was "overlooked". You must go out of your way to obtain it and deliberately use it to enhance your gameplay. It could not have been prevented as it is not "in game" but an add-on.

My main (and solid) reason for not using hacking devices including (but not limited to Action Replay) is that it gives a player an unfair and ill-gotten advantage over another player who cannot compete because of their lack of Action Replay (and/or similar devices). Remember, I'm talking about someone WITH Action Replay versus someone WITHOUT Action Replay in a battle. It just isn't fair.

As a side note, if you don't take part in hacking (good for you), why does my "vendetta" bother you? Just curious.

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on May 11, 2009, 09:40:05 AM
TerribleFrog, just shut up. You're making yourself look like a fool.
Quote from: Sgt. Pepper on May 11, 2009, 10:29:43 AM
Everyone here is laughing at you, Terriblefrog.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't say mean things when someone tries to have a serious discussion. I realize that this isn't that board, but if you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT.  ;D

Oh, and thanks Ridley. ;D
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: TerribleFrog on May 11, 2009, 08:31:06 PM
Also, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't say mean things when someone tries to have a serious discussion. I realize that this isn't that board, but if you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT.  ;D
Grow a pair dear.  You'll certainly need them here.

JrDude

Quote from: tibar21 on May 11, 2009, 06:44:05 PM
i got action replay and since  i have an ancient pearl file that i'd cry if i lost it (it has everything from every game i've played on there) i use my platinum that i never bothered beating as my guinea pig. i hack my platinum to get rare candies, Tm's, etc. and trade pearl pokemon to platinum, give them the goods, and then trade them back. I've been doing it for a week and its worked great.

For those of you that are against action replay you should open your eyes.Technically hacking for rare candies isn't cheating. I mean, I don't have the time to sit around and beat the elite 4 200 times just so my Salemence grows to level 80. Nor do I have the time to beat the battle tower 200 times so i can get one rare candy or TM. Besides, it has a drawback ( pokemon leveled by rare candies don't have as high a potential in terms of stats as purely trained pokemon), which therefore makes it fair; I'm making a sacrifice. And where am I supposed to get a decent TM? I don't have wi-fi, so my only outside resources are Red, Sapphire/Colleseum. Just to be clear its not like i use it to get all my gym badges and nat dex for me. I don't use use it to hack pokemon I don't have (unless I want it for my party), I'm not much of a collector. I only like to battle really. Basically anyone that doesn't want to spend hours beating the elite 4 over and over again and doesn't have wi-fi could have a lot more opportunity by getting action replay.

oh yeah, thanks for the advice people.
Though AR isn't that bad, getting many Rare Candies due to you being lazy IS cheating.

PfffHAHAH! Dude, either leave forever or learn the ways of the Internet/NSFCD, barely anyone follows the rule of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Also, yes AR IS cheating, but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. "When someone with an AR is battling against someone without an AR, it is at a disadvantage, and I think that's unfair." Oh boo hoo, cry me a river, then jump in it and drown. Life isn't fair. And it's not that unfair, it's just to get some extra stuff.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Matt

Oh god, this thread just keeps getting better and better.

How the hell is anything in this thread a serious discussion? You're making yourself sound like a complete dippoop. Whoops, I said something mean, oh well life goes on.

RX-78-2

I do know the ways of the internet. Why are you butting in? I'd just rather you not insult me. Learn to express yourself without hatred "dear" (both of you). You may not think I have "a pair", but at least I can reason with someone without insulting them.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: TerribleFrog on May 12, 2009, 05:07:17 AM
I do know the ways of the internet. Why are you butting in? I'd just rather you not insult me. Learn to express yourself without hatred "dear" (both of you). You may not think I have "a pair", but at least I can reason with someone without insulting them.
Except your reasoning is flawed and biased.

Ridley

This thread is too funny. Hostile telling Peter to grow a pair is really funny because he (Hostile) is gay lol. Also guys it might be worthwhile to argue his main statement instead of picking out a particular phrase and insulting him for it.

There is one thing I am confused about though. What are Matt and Hostile even doing here? They don't use action replay. ????

Edit: What am I even doing here. I don't play pokemon. ????
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

Matt

Quote from: Ridley on May 12, 2009, 11:15:45 AM
There is one thing I am confused about though. What are Matt and Hostile even doing here? They don't use action replay. ????

I used to for Diamond, but I find no point for it anymore.

Ridley

Quote from: Sgt. Pepper on May 12, 2009, 12:58:24 PM
I used to for Diamond, but I find no point for it anymore.

K, thanks for the clarification.
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

Matt

Quote from: Ridley on May 12, 2009, 01:19:09 PM
K, thanks for the clarification.

I just can't help but to laugh at Terriblefrog, he is like the smart yet still retarded version of phatyo.

Ridley

Quote from: Sgt. Pepper on May 12, 2009, 02:31:07 PM
I just can't help but to laugh at Terriblefrog, he is like the smart yet still retarded version of phatyo.

Don't worry, even his brother laughs at him. lol. Again no offense Peter.
...It's quite obvious...

RX-78-2

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on May 12, 2009, 09:37:57 AM
Except your reasoning is flawed and biased.

Please give specific examples and quotes. Also, even if I am both of those, you should notice that I did not insult you or anyone else here by any means. What is the point of insulting me? If you have an opinion, please organize it into a complete and well-written thought and post it here so that I may understand it. In my opinion, Macbeth and I (and I hope he agrees with me on this) are trying to understand each others' viewpoints and point out what we think is wrong or misunderstood in the other one's in what we think is a reasonable manner.

Ridley

Quote from: TerribleFrog on May 12, 2009, 02:48:41 PM
Please give specific examples and quotes. Also, even if I am both of those, you should notice that I did not insult you or anyone else here by any means. What is the point of insulting me? If you have an opinion, please organize it into a complete and well-written thought and post it here so that I may understand it. In my opinion, Macbeth and I (and I hope he agrees with me on this) are trying to understand each others' viewpoints and point out what we think is wrong or misunderstood in the other one's in what we think is a reasonable manner.

And you call yourself an EDiot.
...It's quite obvious...

RX-78-2