News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Compatibility of games passed D/P with Wii (with a MPR rant)

Started by Lotos, March 17, 2010, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotos

Can Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver work with Pokémon Battle Revolution?  If not, I'm not spending the $45/50 to buy it.  I heard they can't work with My Pokémon Ranch, which pisses me off. 

They could update the other channels, like the Photo Channel, Internet Channel, and Shop Channel, why can't they update WiiWare?  I mean, it's kind of silly that three out of the five DS Pokémon versions do not work with the Ranch.  If you could import with the Pal Park in those three versions, doesn't that mean they can get a lot of Pokémon on the game card too?  Again, referencing Bluaki's thread a page back, she said that she couldn't get Platinum to work.  It took me a while to catch a lot of Pokémon from the marshlands in Diamond.  It was even more of a pain to release them all.  With Pt/HG/SS being compatible, more people would get Mew and more people would be happy.  I mean, not all of us were able to attend the Toys R' Us event.

Thirdkoopa

[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Zero

Go to the store and read the back of the case. They work with PBR.

bluaki

Unlike My Pokemon Ranch, the designers of Pokemon Battle Revolution weren't absolutely retarded enough to do something as stupid as make it by design be unable to connect to a Pokemon game that didn't exist yet at the time of its release. The Japanese version eventually got an update that makes it work with Platinum version, but we never got that update, and I believe that neither region can connect it to HG/SS. (Not to say PBR didn't have its own design flaws, which it did, especially with the major focus on bizarre battle mechanics and lack of story)

My Pokemon Ranch has more design flaws than can be counted, in my opinion. That was one, others include:
Removing what would otherwise be its absolute best feature: being able to withdraw any pokemon to any game, using the Ranch as a central storage hub for all the pokemon players that have more than one game
Having absolutely nothing to actually do in it besides watching your low-poly pokemon walk around and do nothing
Lacking anything like a box interface; inability to organize your pokemon collection

Neerb

PBR is absolute crap; I do it every once in a while to make the battles look prettier, but that is 100% literally the only thing it's good for. Why can't Nintendo make a freaking Stadium 3? You know, with free choice of anyone for rental teams, several different kinds of battles including the current gen's Gym Leaders, and of course, addicting 4-player mini-games! I'd rather have HG/SS than PBR, but I doubt selling PBR will get me that kind of money, and I don't have any free cash on me.  :(

bluaki

Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 20, 2010, 08:11:57 PM
Why can't Nintendo make a freaking Stadium 3?
Name-wise, there are complications about the Stadium numbering, because Japan's Stadium 1 was never released here so our Stadium 1 = their Stadium 2 and our Stadium 2 = their Stadium 3. It's rather good they abandoned that naming before too long. (Japan's Stadium 1 was terrible, only allowing a small handful of the 150 pokemon to battle)
Also, while the Stadium features are nice, the features of the GCN games are also good. To have a full-fledged 3D Story Mode. If only they added the two together, removing the limitations that those GCN games' stories had like wilds and shadow pokemon.
Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 20, 2010, 08:11:57 PMYou know, with free choice of anyone for rental teams, ...battles including the current gen's Gym Leaders
They really should have those still, yes. PBR has the worst rental system I have ever seen. That rental system itself is actually based on the equally bad Battle Factory. (maybe slightly better - doesn't battle factory make you lose your team after a while?)
Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 20, 2010, 08:11:57 PMseveral different kinds of battles
Don't even say those words. That phrase is the reason we got PBR; its focus is entirely on different kinds of battles. The game is basically about battling all the different colosseums in order, with each one having yet another kind of bizarre battle mechanic.
The only "different kinds of battles" that seem worthwhile to me and probably most of the rest of us are the few ones that Stadium/2 had. Baby battle, for one.
Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 20, 2010, 08:11:57 PMand of course, addicting 4-player mini-games!
You probably only liked those mini-games because you were a decade younger then. In reality, those minigames really sucked. Plenty of modern minigames are better. I will say though that it's generally better to include minigames of some sort, which the newer handheld games have done but not any of the console games.

Neerb

When I said "different kinds of battles," I believe I worded that badly; I meant more variety of trainers, with the option of facing the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, in-game exclusive Colosseum Masters, and maybe even random trainers in random tourneys. I completely agree with what you said; I can't stand the PBR garbage like "randomly pick 6 pokemon from the pot of your good pokemon and the opponent's crap pokemon." Minigames are a must, though; I want random 4-player fun in the pokemon world! That upcoming Wii game where you play as Pikachu on the game island is sort of what I mean; take those kinds of deeper, more fun games for 4 players and slap that on to a way better version of PBR, and voila!

Now, I do have one more request of Stadium 3/4, but you guys might not like it: tier limit option on Wi-Fi. Similar to what D/P has in the Battle Tower, make it so that I can play random-battle Wi-Fi without running into a bunch of noobs with Rayquaza and Palkia. Of course, make it an OPTION in searching for battles, so that I can still through out my occasional Lugia when I want to.

Oh, and another thing: co-op campaign!!! Double battles are good for one thing and one thing only, and that's co-op with a real life friend, so let me and my friend's team take on the Elites!

Thirdkoopa

Better question: What the hell is the point of buying PBR?

No seriously I see this over at a few of my friends houses and it hardly looked like there was much. Well, I suppose 3D fights are a cool thing, but you can just do that poop without 4th gen pokemon in a lot of other games like as pointed out with Colosseum. Hell it should just be a stadium/PBR and Colosseum hybrid.
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

So_So_Man

Quote from: Third K on March 21, 2010, 07:35:15 PM
Better question: What the hell is the point of buying PBR?

No seriously I see this over at a few of my friends houses and it hardly looked like there was much. Well, I suppose 3D fights are a cool thing, but you can just do that poop without 4th gen pokemon in a lot of other games like as pointed out with Colosseum. Hell it should just be a stadium/PBR and Colosseum hybrid.
the mystery gifts

DededeCloneChris

PBR is like a mine of nice freebies; nice freebies you need to unlock.

Also, the strategies (sp?) in the later ranks are pretty good (and pretty annoying if you're the one receiving them).

Lotos

Quote from: bluaki on March 20, 2010, 04:29:09 PM
Removing what would otherwise be its absolute best feature: being able to withdraw any pokemon to any game, using the Ranch as a central storage hub for all the pokemon players that have more than one game

The problem I see with this is with the families that have more than one person playing Pokémon.  I can see siblings being dicks siblings to each other by stealing the other's Pokémon.  Then again, who's to say that it isn't happening right now without MPR's help?

Zero

So I don't have Pokemon Battle Revolution, I've only seen videos of gameplay.

Can you like...grab two DS games and use two teams to battle each other or what?

Neerb

Quote from: Zero on March 21, 2010, 09:37:13 PM
So I don't have Pokemon Battle Revolution, I've only seen videos of gameplay.

Can you like...grab two DS games and use two teams to battle each other or what?

You can transfer pokemon from ONE DS game for all to use (one DS game per file, 4 files total), use rental teams (acquired in the most annoying way possible), fight over Wi-Fi, use the teams of people you've fought on Wi-Fi (if there's mutual agreement after said Wi-Fi battle), use a team from another console/file via saving it on Wiimote, or do an instant fight using two DS games, with each person using their own DS as a controller. All of those battles have tons of custom rules for you to add as well (same pokemon/item, freeze clause, sleep clause, self-destruct victory, etc.). Also, if a team is saved onto the Wii (aka anything except instant DS fight), you can customize your trainer with unlockable clothing, battle pass designs, titles, bodies, gender, skin tone, and create-your-own-catchphrases. In the realm of Single player, you can use said teams to battle through 10 different arenas, each with multiple difficulty levels, several trainers serving under a Master, and nonsensically annoying custom rules. Through this, you can get some stuff like TMs, Surfing Pikachu, Electevire, Magmortar, and good items, all of which can be sent back to any DS, but they take about as long as using Battle Points in D/P/Pt/HG/SS Battle Towers.

I guess it's not a "100%" useless game like I overstated earlier, but without full rental team choices, 4-player minigames, or Elite 4/Gym Leader fun, I'd literally rather have Stadium 1 or 2; PBR is NOT worth it's original $50 retail value.

*watches random Stadium match on youtube
Oh yeah; more stuff to do, announcer isn't the one from the show, moves look cooler: Stadium is MUCH better than PBR, as long as you don't care about graphics or Wi-Fi.

Thirdkoopa

Wait Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 that good? Am I missing something here? l:

Zero

Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 22, 2010, 02:52:19 PM
or do an instant fight using two DS games, with each person using their own DS as a controller

So my gf and I could just sit there and battle each other using a tv with this game or is this feature Wi-Fi only? That's the only good thing I've seen about it so far other than the graphics and what not.

@TK: Stadium 1 and 2 were two of the coolest games on the N64 during their time. Not only could you sit there and play your game boy pokemon games on your TV without a Super Game Boy peripheral but you could play multiplayer mini games and quizzes in addition to tons of battle challenges. God those games were great.