News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

does anyone actually see WiiU being successful?

Started by The Riddler, January 07, 2012, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Pennington on March 29, 2012, 11:50:54 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-15-wii-u-cant-play-dvds-or-blu-rays

Nintendo opts to remain a few steps behind other consoles in one regard, but does that matter?
Yes, because its price will be less in that case. It's a gaming console and it should be like that.

Super

All of you guys better get the Wii U and spread the word.

buttlord420

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 29, 2012, 12:31:35 PM
Yes, because its price will be less in that case. It's a gaming console and it should be like that.
>Price will be less
The wii has the ability to play DVD's, yet Nintendo decided not to have the function available.

Zero

Who the intercourse  doesn't have a dvd player at this point?

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 29, 2012, 12:31:35 PM
You think Nintendo will pass the cost to customers? lolno

Quote from: SilverHunter35 on March 29, 2012, 01:15:52 PM
>Price will be less
The wii has the ability to play DVD's, yet Nintendo decided not to have the function available.
They have to pay a licensing fee for each console to play DVDs. Those 5 cents really add up, you know!

Kayo

See there's two sides to this. First of all, consoles have been playing DVDs for years now (except anything Nintendo), so it's kind of weird how Nintendo isn't caught up there.

But on the other hand, and this point actually seems more logical, everyone who cares about DVDs has a DVD player. No one's going to buy the Wii U just because it can also play DVDs. Everyone either A) doesn't watch anything on DVD or B) has a DVD player already. Maybe not so many people had them back when the PS3 came out (though I doubt that) but virtually everyone already has one now.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 29, 2012, 03:04:01 PM
See there's two sides to this. First of all, consoles have been playing DVDs for years now (except anything Nintendo), so it's kind of weird how Nintendo isn't caught up there.

But on the other hand, and this point actually seems more logical, everyone who cares about DVDs has a DVD player. No one's going to buy the Wii U just because it can also play DVDs. Everyone either A) doesn't watch anything on DVD or B) has a DVD player already. Maybe not so many people had them back when the PS3 came out (though I doubt that) but virtually everyone already has one now.
What about Blu-Ray? There's no excuse for that one.

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 29, 2012, 03:21:08 PM
What about Blu-Ray? There's no excuse for that one.
BLU-RAY MOVIES ARE TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE

I don't have a blu-ray player and frankly don't really give a poop. All my DVDs are just regular DVDs anyway.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 29, 2012, 03:44:26 PM

I don't have a blu-ray player and frankly don't really give a poop. All my DVDs are just regular DVDs anyway.
Wii U's disc format is based on Blu-Ray based on what has been said, so it's all about saving a few cents per unit.

zephilicious

Quote from: Pennington on March 29, 2012, 03:44:26 PM

so are dvds if you're buying at msrp

blu-rays are just as cheap if you don't buy them from a big retailer on launch day

the problem with blu-ray is that they'll be obsolete just as fast as dvds were, probably faster.
~~ <3

RX-78-2

Quote from: Kayo on March 20, 2012, 11:51:29 AM
I wish everything stayed primarily in controllers. The Wii, Kinect, Move, etc. all seem like good ideas at first, but I still prefer handheld controllers. All those Wii games that used the Wiimote and Nunchuk together like a controller? Wasn't too crazy about that.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Honestly, I do enjoy the using the Wiimotes to aim for shooters. I actually really liked Red Steel and especially RE4: Wii Edition. I don't know much about Move though, and I'm not really interested in Kinect.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Kayo

Quote from: RX-78-2 on March 31, 2012, 09:35:40 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way. Honestly, I do enjoy the using the Wiimotes to aim for shooters. I actually really liked Red Steel and especially RE4: Wii Edition. I don't know much about Move though, and I'm not really interested in Kinect.
It's all about getting video gamers off their asses, blah blah blah. But they're not video games as we know them anymore; I don't even feel comfortable calling things on Kinect, etc. "video games".
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

I agree. Not much of it is done in the same spirit as traditional gaming. Since motion controls have just come out for each major console, I'm not sure if the novelty will hold up to boost sales. But on the other hand, it could work just as well since they're the "latest and greatest" trend in gaming.

ARGH. Trends? In my video games? I remember when trends were WWII games or zombies games (the latter of course still being popular). WHAT HAS THE (gaming) WORLD COME TO?
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Nayrman

Of course the WiiU should play DVD's and Blu-Rays (if it's actually using that storage medium). Making it less functional in the name of even a slight price drop is just kind of dumb. I love my PS3 because it means I don't also have to buy a Blu-Ray player as well. It just does that as well. If Nintendo doesn't want to go out of their way to say, make deals with every tech giant to get Hulu, and other media streaming devices, is fine, but they should at least let us do what the system can actually do. It's one of the major killing points of the Wii. The potential to do some of the things the others are doing are there, Nintendo is just holding it back for no reason whatsoever.