News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Defend Your Castle Review

Started by Professor Layton, May 16, 2008, 04:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Layton

Hordes of enemies are approaching your castle. Will you let them tear your castle to the ground or will you fight back and defend your castle against these rogues that threaten your castle?

1. Platform: Wii
2. Publisher: XGen Studios
3. Developer: XGen Studios
4. ESRB Rating: E for Everyone
5. Release Date(US): May 12th,  2008
6. Channel Size (Blocks): 121 Blocks
7. Save Size (Blocks): 1 Block
8. Downloadable Content: No

Currently the cheapest WiiWare game, Defend Your Castle is a remake of the highly popular web-browser game. Though the web-browser game is free to play, the WiiWare version is not, thus making some people not wanting to download the WiiWare version. That is the correct thing to do, right?

As the name suggests, Defend Your Castle focuses on defending your castle against hordes of villagers that are attacking your castle. In order to stop them, you must pick them up and throw them skyward, resulting in them plummeting against the hard, flat, ground.

Sounds pretty simple, right? Well as the game progresses, the difficulty greatly increases. The first ten fifteen levels are breeze. Very few enemies appear and when they do appear, all you have to do is flick them into the sky and they are dead. However, in the higher levels, enemies are constantly coming at you resulting in a very difficult battle with the villagers.

Defend Your Castle!

In Defend Your Castle, there are several different types of enemies ranging from the standard stick man enemy to a giant stick man figure with an enormous head. Though all these enemies won?t appear on the first level, they will gradually be introduced as the game progresses. In the higher levels, enemies will move faster thus resulting in even more excruciating battle.

For players who downloaded this game for multiplayer battles, they may be puzzled about what they have to do to play multiplayer. At first, I didn?t even know how to play multiplayer. After a period of time though, I was able to understand what to do. You see, all you have to do is click A on the other controller while in a match. Out of nowhere, another cursor appears allowing another player to join in the frenzy.

The number of enemies you defeat in each level determines the number of points you will obtain after the match. With these points, you can download a variety of upgrades such as adding archers and wizards. In addition to these, you can also buy a first aid kit to repair your castle as well as a variety of other items.

What shall I buy today?

Graphically, Defend Your Castle is lacking. The graphics look as though they were drawn by a toddler. In addition to this, they are very simplistic. On top of this, there is also no background music. While fighting, all you will hear will be the screams of villagers dying.

In Conclusion...

Overall, Defend Your Castle really won me over. When Defend Your Castle was released, I had major doubts about downloading it. After downloading it, I fell in love with the game. Though the graphics are poor and there is not background music, Defend Your Castle offers a very addictive experience. For 500 Wii Points, Defend Your Castle is a bargain.

Ratings

1.Presentation: 8/10
   Easy to navigate menus and fantastic multiplayer.
2.Graphics: 4/10
   The game looks horrible, but the graphics fit the game quite well.
3.Sound: 4/10
   Pretty decent sound effects but there is no background music..       
4.Gameplay: 8/10
   The game starts out slow and easy, but quickly becomes fast and difficult.
5.Replay Value: 8/10   
   Multiplayer is a blast and the single player mode is also quite enjoyable.   

Overall Score: 8/10