News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

How to Rate a Team

Started by Wedge, August 25, 2009, 07:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wedge

So lately, I've seen some pretty mediocre rates for just about any RMT I've seen here. Here are some things that I've seen that aren't quite up to snuff:

Quote*Opponent sends in Mix Infernape*

AWWW he loses in a 6-0

In all seriousness, you need an ape counter. Vaporeon is you closest thing and she won't switch in without taking some damage, especially since she's not built defensively. Your team needs a good Mixape counter.

(This one might look like a decent rate, and while it might be, I'm going to use it as an example later on)

QuoteTurn Vape defensive. It'll rip Mix-ape a new one.
Quotecool little cup team... snovers rock! Also... THERE R BANED POKEMON?!?!?xD
QuoteThe only problem I see is that if ghastly falls, you will be utterly destroyed by fighting types, and gible has nothing to handle the fighting. I doubt smoochum would be able to handle it, especially if you scarfed already

No, none of these are made up. I found them.

Anyways, here are some examples of some of the less appealing rates I've seen. Now, rating a team is much more than just saying "This team is good, 5 stars" or even something like "You are destroyed by Gyarados, get a counter". Rating a team should be, if it is not already, a laborious and thought evoking process. There are different levels of team rating, and you should rate each team according to your level of experience and comfort with the tier in question.

If you just want to do a quick rate, then you should probably point out obvious problems or obstacles. Some things to look for are a glaring weakness to a specific type or Pokemon (for example, DD Gyarados). These rates should be quick, concise, and to the point. It should also give enough information that it actually helps the creator out. Just telling them they have a massive CM Jirachi weakness won't do anything for them, especially if they are not very experienced. You should also list what Pokemon you would put in/what movesets you should change in order to accommodate for this thread. Be aware however, that countering everything in the game is not possible. If they do not have a DD Gyarados counter, that does not mean that they have a DD Gyarados weakness. However, if they do not have any way to beat a DD Gyarados, then they would have a DD Gyarados weakness. Good teams should have some way to deal with a good number of threats in such a way that their main strategy is not compromised.

When you are rating a team, you should try and improve upon the central strategy of the team. Putting in a Pokemon just to counter a specific threat will do them no good if either A) it opens up a new weakness or B) is detrimental or counterproductive to their central strategy. Being able to carry out and execute a strategy under most (ideally all) situations is more important than being able to counter a specific Pokemon. Quoting Stathakis from Smogon, a good rate should get rid of a problem or threat while not blowing away their strategy. A better rate should improve the player's potential strategy execution without opening them up to a new threat.

Really, the biggest problem I've been seeing in RMT threads is that raters are always looking for things that the team cannot counter. I cannot tell you how many "Mixape owns this" or "DDGyara will run through you" I've seen that aren't entirely factual. Again, many teams utilize 'checks' rather than 'counters' to deal with threats. This usually works more effectively because these checks keep the Pokemon from coming into play and doing something risky, often forcing the opponent to play more conservatively. If you have a plan, then you can exploit this effect of your checks, and by predicting carefully, destroy something you have a problem with or just go on a sweep. The point here is that just because a team doesn't have a Blissey doesn't mean it's Heatran weak. I cannot stress this enough.

Look for things to improve on the team. If you think that there is something that could fulfill a role of a Pokemon better, then suggest it. If they are using Umbreon as a Special Wall, but Blissey is obviously better, don't be afraid to point that out. Now if this Umbreon is being used as a Trap Passer, than that's something different entirely (read: don't suggest Blissey as a Trap Passer).

If you do perhaps find a threat that could potentially defeat the entire team, put yourself in their place. Ask yourself what you would do if you were faced with that threat while using this team. Examine all scenarios. If you can suggest something that gets rid of that thread without compromising the strategy, then go for it. Definitely make sure that you put yourself in their place though: you might find a way to deal with a threat without using a counter. Some things to look for are baiting which is good for scouting movesets and bringing out a certain Pokemon without having it take a hard hit, and revenge killing, which is not always an effective way to deal with a Pokemon (if this is the only solution you can think of, then some changes need to be made).

Undoubtedly, sometimes you will come across a team that is just so bad, it can't be rated without replacing half the Pokemon. If you should see something like this, then you should probably just suggest that they re-build the team entirely and test it out some more before asking for a rate. Remember: Team Raters, you are there to rate a team and tweak it, not build an entirely new one for the player.

Lastly, always explain why you think a change should be made. I know this seems simple, but it is something that people somehow seem to 'forget' to do. If you can't back up your reasoning, chances are your suggestion is not a beneficial one.

I hope you guys will pay more attention to both the teams you rate and the teams you rate now.

cyZ

Macawmoses

I think this is good commentary. RMT's aren't hugely popular here - but when they do pop up, a lot of the things you mentioned occur.

RX-78-2

Crud. Crud. Holy Crud. You wrote twice as much as I usually do. :O This is the longest post I've seen yet on this forum.

Another of your brilliantly written threads :). Again, I read all of it (I read the other thread first). I'll be sure to use your advice; excellent for a newcomer (did I say all of this before?). Point is, you're good.

Do you battle? If so, in what way?

By the way, it'd be really helpful if you just tell what those abbreviations mean (i.e. "Mixape", "CM Jirachi", "DD Gyarados" etc.) :|.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Wedge

I battle competitively, and this RMT is mainly for the competitive battlers here (if there are any). If there are none, then we're here to convert (some of) you. I'd suggest getting started by reading SB's excellent guide.