News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. *SPOILERS INSIDE*

Started by Tupin, June 15, 2010, 09:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

As Mu2 pointed out, I only have a few complaints about what I've seen, and the only Zelda game (that I've played) that I just don't like is Twilight Princess (for a multitude of reasons).

What I don't like:
1. I do think the graphics are a bit odd. They say it's impressionism, I say it's that they couldn't do realism for crap in Twilight Princess and don't want to put the effort needed into the realism. It's not a game breaker, as it still looks nice, it's just not an art style I'm not particularly fond of. Not that big of a deal, purely a personal gripe.

2. Split second lag is an issue for me. You want to prove your system is best, meanwhile Sony is showing very accurate 1:1 with the Move, and your best game with your best add-on meant to showcase how "good" it is still has faults. Nintendo will likely fix this with the sixth months (and more, it IS going to get delayed) they have to finish the game. I'm not too worried, I just wanted to bring attention to it.

The rest are just personal things I want to see:

3. Voice acting: Get into the 21st century Nintendo. With how much money you have, pay some darn actors.
4. Please no ganon: I'm sick and tired of seeing him. It's like Bowser, it's JUST NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.
Neither of those are game breakers by any means, just what I WANT to see. And since neither have been commented on in the demo, I can't really complain about it yet.

Neerb

Quote from: SkyMyl on June 17, 2010, 07:30:09 AM
This game will connect with Majora's Mask in some way. Link uses the Skyward Sword in some way to expel the darkness from Hyrule in the end, and that darkness somehow becomes Termina. The last boss and primary villain of the game is the powerful demon known as Majora.

That would be crazily awesome. Plus, it wouldn't be the first time they did something like this: Ganon[dorf] was in LoZ, AoL, and ALttP before OoT finally gave his origin story, and Vaati was in FS and FSA before getting his origin in MC.

DededeCloneChris

Zelda with full voice acting is like Mario with full voice acting, which doesn't sound really good.

Nayrman

Quote from: TheAuraWielder on June 17, 2010, 12:53:41 PM
Zelda with full voice acting is like Mario with full voice acting, which doesn't sound really good.
Mario has no characters or story, so it doesn't matter. (and by no characters, I mean no full on set of characterization. Mario has no personality besides "I'mma da good guy! Yahoo!" etc.)

Zelda is trying to tell a story in it's games, and tries to have characters we are meant to connect to. In this day and age, it's hard to do that in a console game without voice acting. Never said Link himself has to talk, but the NPC's do.
For proof of this, look at Star Fox 64. Half the reason we remember the game is because of it's good yet narm-tastic voice acting. The voices were right so the characters felt believable and alive (especially by 1997 standards), so good voice acting can really enhance a game.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

DededeCloneChris

Star Fox is better off with voice acting than Zelda. If the Zelda games were given voice acting, the silent protagonist tradition would be broken. It'd be weird if everyone but Link was able to talk.

Nayrman

Quote from: TheAuraWielder on June 17, 2010, 02:40:17 PM
Star Fox is better off with voice acting than Zelda. If the Zelda games were given voice acting, the silent protagonist tradition would be broken. It'd be weird if everyone but Link was able to talk.

Considering there aren't many situations where he would need to talk, or we could do a Mass Effect type thing where everyone else talks, you choose "Yes" or "No" (like they ask you something, like do you want to do this sidequest) and then they react. Like I said, Link never at any point needs to talk, but using plain old text when every other developer on the freaking planet is using voices for their characters, it feels lazy on Nintendo's part, especially for a franchise such as Zelda.

Java

I don't think it would be strange at all to have voice acting in Zelda.
I welcome the idea.

Like Nayr has said, Link certainly shouldn't talk, but everyone else definitely should.
It wouldn't be weird at all.

Cornwad

Metroid Prime 3 did silent protagonist with voice acting, and I'm pretty sure there are a few other games out there that do it like Half Life and Bioshock. It works fine.

DededeCloneChris

Thinking again, it might work. Now what worries me is the VAs willing do give it a shot. Not many good VAs exist.

Neerb

Quote from: TheAuraWielder on June 17, 2010, 07:30:31 PM
Thinking again, it might work. Now what worries me is the VAs willing do give it a shot. Not many good VAs exist.

What? There are lots of great voice actors in games and cartoons.

Speaking of which, if this does get voice acting, I want Tara Strong to be in it as someone... just because she's in everything. Also, Mark Hamill makes everything better.

Cornwad

Yeah, get all the voice actors from the Zelda cartoon. That would make everyone happy.

But anyway, the voice actors for most shows and stuff don't usually do voices for games. The voice actors in games like Uncharted and Red Dead Redemption are pretty good though, too bad Nintendo never gets people like that.

Neerb

Except of course for Kingdom Hearts. The Kingdom Hearts series is a freaking Red Carpet of voice actors: Haley Joel Osment, David Gallagher, Hayden Panettiere, Jesse McCartney, Brittney Snow, Christopher Lee, James Woods, Tara Strong, Mark Hamill, Leonard Nimoy, Mandy Moore...

Cornwad

Well, a bunch of those people were in Disney movies, plus it's Disney, so it doesn't count.

Neerb

Well... Star Fox is pretty decent. Plus, doesn't Nintendo have other decent VA series? For example, I've never played them, but don't the console versions of the Fire Emblem series have VA or something? And of course there's the Metroid series, which is getting an especially large chunk of voice acting for it's upcoming story-heavy Other M. Even the upcoming Kid Icarus Uprising sounds pretty nice. I'm sure if Nintendo really wanted to, they could get some good VAs.

Java

Quote from: Cornwad on June 17, 2010, 07:28:09 PM
Metroid Prime 3 did silent protagonist with voice acting, and I'm pretty sure there are a few other games out there that do it like Half Life and Bioshock. It works fine.
That's what I thought, but I was unsure if that was in fact what they did.