News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Started by Thirteenthorder, July 23, 2009, 07:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirteenthorder

With all of this doomsday hype circulating, and a film portrayal coming out, I would like to know your take on what will happen during this supposedly darning year.
When you're not lookin'...

Gwen Khan

nothing, absolutely nothing, it's all hype

jnfs2014

No one knows.

And if we last that long, I'll be a Sophmore in High School.

Seriously, the world could end anytime.

Edit: This topic reminds me of the movie "Knowing" with Nicholas Cage.

Jono2

anyone who thinks anything will happen is a bit off their rocker imo.

we're more likely to die from a gamma ray burst at any second than this drivel.  They had to stop making a calendar at some point considering THEY WERE WIPED OUT.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Lotos

I doubt it will end.  2000 AD wasn't the end of the world, nor was 6/6/06.  2012 will not be the end of the world.  To me, this is as crazy as those Baptists who don't believe in evolution.

Zies

Quote from: Jono2 on July 23, 2009, 08:20:29 PM

we're more likely to die from a gamma ray burst at any second than this drivel.  They had to stop making a calendar at some point considering THEY WERE WIPED OUT.
...Pretty much this...

...If people think that history repeats itself, that's fine, but again, not all of history must repeat itself, just like not all prophecies must...occur...or whatever...
...There are far more dangerous things that can kill us that we know of and surely there are more things we're completely unaware of which can take us down even quicker...

...Until then, we shouldn't have to worry about anything, just waste time watching American Gladiators and American Idol while sciences continue to find impediments from moral views which prevent us from solving certain problems...
...But oh well, maybe there'll be some political changes in the near future...but knowing America, maybe not...

Quote from: Gaitorbait208...I was about to have to Veritas Est Fortis your mom...

The Seventh

Quote from: Jono2 on July 23, 2009, 08:20:29 PM

Hmmm... now that I think of it, you have a really good point.

If a civilization was wiped out, how do you think they could have gone any farther in making a calendar?

And besides, trying to figure out how to develop a calendar would take a lot of work, and time, wouldn't it?

So, that has further supported my lack of belief in the world ending in 2012.  Thank you, Jono2.
meh

Jono2

Quote from: red7js on July 24, 2009, 09:43:42 AM
Hmmm... now that I think of it, you have a really good point.

If a civilization was wiped out, how do you think they could have gone any farther in making a calendar?

And besides, trying to figure out how to develop a calendar would take a lot of work, and time, wouldn't it?

So, that has further supported my lack of belief in the world ending in 2012.  Thank you, Jono2.

and i mean, even if they hadn't been wiped out, its not like we map the calendar THAT far into the future.  The person making the calendar on those stones might've just gotten tired at some point, considering how the events of the calendar he was making were what, 1300 years off/

Friendly Hostile

I hope you all realize that the Mayan calender is cyclical and doesn't ever truly end.  It just starts over again.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on July 24, 2009, 06:07:15 PM
I hope you all realize that the Mayan calender is cyclical and doesn't ever truly end.  It just starts over again.
Right.

The Mayan calendar doesn't abruptly end in 2012.  Rather, it completes a downward cycle in which it is prophesized that there is a destruction and a rebirth of the world or something like that...a cleansing, if you will.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Jono2

Quote from: Zovistograt on July 24, 2009, 06:36:18 PM
Right.

The Mayan calendar doesn't abruptly end in 2012.  Rather, it completes a downward cycle in which it is prophesized that there is a destruction and a rebirth of the world or something like that...a cleansing, if you will.

hmm.  I didn't know that.  At the same time though, people believe that Mayans predicted the end of the world, which is complete bull.  It's like saying that Stonehenge has some sort of scientific purpose today.

Thirteenthorder

Eh, yes. Now that I hear some very viable statements from you guys, it does seem like a bit of folly.

But I am still planning out my bomb shelter :U

Tahrann

Personally, I think 2012 is just going to be another year. There have been people who had worried about the end of the world around 1900, then others around some odd years, then those that were saying y2k, and finally those who are saying that 2012 is going to be the end of the world. Personally, I believe all of them have been scare tactics sore some moron who thinks it would be funny to worry as many people as possible and see them scurry like ants that had water poured on their ant hill. I agree with many that that is when the calendar will reset and that will be it, but if I am wrong, then I am wrong. Worrying wont stop the end of the world.
Puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!

KingBoo

All the theories can easily shut down. Personally I don't think we should be taking our prophecies by someone who was wiped out anyways. Sure, there's other theories, but most of those are even cookier. The one thing I am worried about however on that day (December 21) is the people that do believe in this stuff and decide to commit crimes and such. Chances are there will be at least one thing. And probably a few suicides. I'll laugh at those people.

Thirteenthorder

Well, if it is there's nothing I can do about it. I mean, what good will a bomb shelter do if it's a meteor shower?

My only guess is that if it does happen, at least a small percentage of the population has to stay alive to ensure the continuity of the race, as the Mayan long cycles give example to.