News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

What do you think of the Pok?mon TV series and movies?

Started by RX-78-2, August 09, 2009, 07:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RX-78-2

I love 'em. Both of 'em. I used to love waking up every Saturday morning at about 8 just to watch Saturday morning cartoons on the Kids WB network/channel/station whatever you want to call it. By then, it was showing the Pok?mon Advanced and Pok?mon Advanced Challenge seasons, two of my favorites. I enjoy the Hoenn seasons most, as Hoenn is my favorite region and May is my favorite female traveling companion of Ash's =3 (Dawn is my second favorite ;). Misty was okay, I hated her I was six years old, then she was cool :)). I really liked the earliest seasons too though, even when I was young. I think the newest seasons have added a good bit of new content and makes good use of the new characters and plots. They did a great job with Team Galactic and the Sinnoh legendaries story arcs.

As for the movies, I like the ones after Pok?mon the Movie 2000 the best. The first two were okay and the next three (Pok?mon 3: The Movie, Pok?mon 4Ever, and Pok?mon Heroes) were better, but I really enjoyed the ones after these starting with Pok?mon: Jirachi Wishmaker. My favorites are Pok?mon: Destiny Deoxys, Pok?mon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Pok?mon Ranger and the Temple of Sea, and Pok?mon: The Rise of Darkrai. I have yet to see Pok?mon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior.

Anyway, what do you guys think about them? If you don't like them, please just say so nicely. We don't want any flame wars. D=
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Neerb

I never really followed the series and I haven't seen all the movies, but from what I have seen, the older the movies/seasons the better.

Doodle

I used to watch the show and the movies all the time as a kid. I lost interest.
Though the newer stuff is definitely not as good as the old.
YEAH

AdamSakuru

The original Poke'mon series was great. In fact I would still watch them now.

But, after season after season it started to loose its touch. R.I.P Original Poke'mon.

As for the movies, The original and Pokemon 2000 were my picks.
"Time to earn our reputation!"
-Adam Sakuru

So_So_Man

Pokemon nowadays  is worse.  Personally, I dont watch it anymore, but from what Ive heard, now Ash (or at least Pikachu) is uber (stupid keyboard, with its lack of umlauts) and beat the crap out of pretty much everyone, with the occasional loss.  In the original series, it was almost always Ash getting his ass handed to him and finding some way of improving so that he could lose a little less.  Therefore, imho, Old Pokemon > New Pokemon.  Also, Misty can kick May or Dawn's ass any day

RX-78-2

Quote from: JNFS2014 on August 09, 2009, 08:24:50 PM
New <<<< Old.

Seriously, casual fag ftw!

I'm glad to see someone who shares my opinion. Although I'm not a "casual...". I've followed the series from start to... now, and I just prefer the newer stuff a little better.

Quote from: So_So_Man on August 09, 2009, 10:12:33 PM
Pokemon nowadays  is worse.  Personally, I dont watch it anymore, but from what Ive heard, now Ash (or at least Pikachu) is uber (stupid keyboard, with its lack of umlauts) and beat the crap out of pretty much everyone, with the occasional loss.  In the original series, it was almost always Ash getting his ass handed to him and finding some way of improving so that he could lose a little less.  Therefore, imho, Old Pokemon > New Pokemon.  Also, Misty can kick May or Dawn's ass any day

Yeah, I guess their excuse for Pikachu is just that he's gotten stronger since seasons 1, 2, 3 etc. I like the action of the newer seasons better, though, especially in the movies. Ash still loses often with his other Pok?mon, though, and saves himself with usually Pikachu or Staravia.

QuoteAlso, Misty can kick May or Dawn's ass any day
Also, I wasn't talking about their trainer skills... =3
;D
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

bluaki

The TV series was good for the beginning of the first season, mostly. After Ash got Koga's badge, the entire series spun into a giant inflation of filler episodes which continue to this day. Before that point, a rather high amount of the episodes were real character development, storyline progress, or at least something that felt pretty worthwhile to watch to me.

Koga's (6th) Badge was obtained in episode 32 while Blaine (7th badge) wasn't even met until about episode 58. And it took until episode 82 for the rest of the first season (just one badge and the pokemon league?) to end.

Then the three seasons of Johto lasted almost 200 episodes, continuing with an average of ~25 episodes between each badge. I think these masses of useless episodes are tied in some way to Ash no longer being an inexperienced trainer who often loses.

The movies, on the other hand, stayed pretty good for the most part. They're the only thing I still watch of the newer Pokemon anime.

jnfs2014

But why are there 10646552 towns that Ash goes to when there are only like 20 in the game?

bluaki

Quote from: JNFS2014 on August 11, 2009, 07:05:10 PM
But why are there 10646552 towns that Ash goes to when there are only like 20 in the game?
Actually, considering that approximately 75% of the episodes introduce a new town, it's more like 450 towns, not 10 million.

And that's because of both the amount of filler and the fact that the anime isn't trying to limit itself to content of the games.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Bluaki on August 11, 2009, 07:13:09 PM
Actually, considering that approximately 75% of the episodes introduce a new town, it's more like 450 towns, not 10 million.

And that's because of both the amount of filler and the fact that the anime isn't trying to limit itself to content of the games.
A player can get to a new town in 2 hours or less, and Ash and his group get to the new town in 10 episodes or more.

Besides, it's the same cycle with him.

-Starts from zero with just Pikachu. (Ash, start with zero means not have any Pikachu either).
-Travel to each Gym and win each one.
-Get to the league, meet friend who will stop Ash's victory spree at some point, prompting him to go emo for the entire league.
-Gets word of a new region.
-Female lead leaves, and gets replaced with the next one.
-Restarts the cycle.

And above else:

-Filler arc, an arc where Ash wins sidequest leagues that nobody cares about.

jnfs2014

You mean the Orange Islands (which didn't even focus on battling) and the Battle Frontier?

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: JNFS2014 on August 11, 2009, 08:54:59 PM
You mean the Orange Islands (which didn't even focus on battling) and the Battle Frontier?
Ding-ding. (Yes)

Fish

I loved the first few seasons. I still watch the Movies if I'm bored and they're on CN. xP
It's cheesy to say the least.

Triforce_Luigi

I used to watch the TV series for a while. Gotta agree that the older seasons and movies were generally better. Personally, I'd say the decline started somewhere around the Orange Islands. I've only watched a few episodes since they started the Hoenn seasons. Though from what I've seen, they really do seem to repeat plots from previous seasons.

Like the movies, though. They tend to be better than the show.

Kayo

After the first few series, (serieses?) I lost interest pretty much. The D/P series and movies are kinda weak compared to the first few hundred pisodes or so...
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]