News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Something the SIT never truly decided on....

Started by Macawmoses, September 13, 2008, 09:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridley

Quote from: mackormoses on September 13, 2008, 10:25:23 PM
Quote from: Bluaki on September 13, 2008, 09:54:36 PM
Quote from: mackormoses on September 13, 2008, 09:17:41 PM
So, I'd like your thoughts. Consider this a second chance at helping the SIT, because last time, it didn't go so well.
"Last time" being the changing of "Nintendo Power"'s title, right?

As I said originally:
Shop: Too gimmicky, and requiring shop cash for features would force those features to be unavailable without the shop cash. The only forum feature I can think of now that users would want that they can't already get is a screenname change and I think it's fine the way it is to require a mod's approval.
Wiki: Not really anything bad, but it would just get a burst of popularity then be forgotten.
Yes, NP.

As for the Wiki, as long as a few users would be willing to keep it up, and users were to make a profile page, I can see it working.

On top of that, management and installation aren't extremely difficult. I think as long as we opt to use it, it could be a huge success. Obviously, though, some pages would need protection, etc. etc.

I'm on a lot, I would like to volunteer to keep it up if you guys do make it.
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

Java

Riosan

[21:51]   <Smashin>   No one likes a sad fat kid.
[21:51]   Mystic has left #nsider (Leaving.)

Doodle

Wiki: It would be popular for a little bit, then nobody will care. Plus, I hate writing stuff about myself.

Shop: Well...it would make people have to post more to do things...
YEAH

SkyMyl

I would like to see a Wiki. I probably wouldn't contribute enough, but I would like to see one.

Shop...I could see a shop in NSFCD...

Mystic

Wiki: Yes
Shop: Not really worth it as I see it.

Spam

A Wiki could be useful but the shop would be a bad idea.

Friendly Hostile

I said it before and I'll say it again:

No to both.  A wiki ends up abandoned and does relatively little to expand the site other than to document much of it's relatively unimportant history.  People are excited and add to it for the first month or so, and then it ends up forgotten about like a child in a department  store.

A shop is just flat out useless.  Like Bluaki said, it places a price tag on things that are already free, and just serves no real purpose.

If we feel the need to add features, they should be useful and beneficial to the forum, not something that will just sit there and take up space.

Macawmoses

If the users are actually willing to contribute, I can see the Wiki working. I don't claim to know much on other sites implementations of the feature, but I do know we have a lot to share that would be more relevant on a Wiki, as to the forum itself.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: mackormoses on September 14, 2008, 01:53:48 PM
If the users are actually willing to contribute, I can see the Wiki working. I don't claim to know much on other sites implementations of the feature, but I do know we have a lot to share that would be more relevant on a Wiki, as to the forum itself.
I've seen it fail on several sites.  It's usually added, but after a month of extensive use and contributing, it tends to be forgotten about.

Macawmoses

That's rather sad, but what leads you to believe this would be the case here?

Kilroy

Wiki, sure, why not.

Shops are useless gimmicks to get you to post.
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: mackormoses on September 14, 2008, 02:34:51 PM
That's rather sad, but what leads you to believe this would be the case here?
Because I don't see our members as devoted to anything like this.