News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

How hard is it to replace a processor?

Started by LinkXLR, May 25, 2008, 12:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinkXLR

I'm looking into getting a new one since mine is in no condition for gaming.

2.6 GHz or more to replace my 1.6 GHz one.

Just depends on how much it costs and how hard it is to install.

That's me. :D ^

Also, join the Steam Nsider group for maximum fun.
Steam ID: KarthXLR

L10

Its easy to do, but easy to intercourse  up at the same time.

Make sure you know what your doing before you do it.
0o!f

LinkXLR

Kodiack

It's easy, but be sure that you get a good processor and that your motherboard can support it. One thing that's also bad is people judging processors on their clock speed. Take, for example, dual cores. A dual core processor at 1.8 GHz will outperform a 3.0 GHz easily.

Also, be sure to get a Pentium or Core 2 processor if upgrading. Do NOT get a Celeron, or you'll hate yourself for a long time.

Silverhawk79

First you have to make sure the processor is compatible with the slot on your motherboard. Getting the processor off is easy, but you have to be super careful about putting it back on. You'll probably need to read a guide on it, it's a delicate procedure. I think. >_>

えっちーせんぱい

It's as easy as taking the heatsink off, moving a lever, pulling it out, and reversing that. That's it for the physical part.

You need to find one that matches your slot, and wether it will even work with your board.

Kodiack

Quote from: Blaziken on May 25, 2008, 01:38:56 PM
It's as easy as taking the heatsink off, moving a lever, pulling it out, and reversing that. That's it for the physical part.

You need to find one that matches your slot, and wether it will even work with your board.

You also have to align the processor correctly. There should be a little mark or something that tells where it goes, but it's pretty tiny. It probably is best to use a guide, but I'm sure the processor will include something.

The major thing to worry about is getting a compatible CPU. I'd check your motherboard manufacturer's site before even thinking about what model to get.

L10

Also make sure you put that paste stuff in between the heat sink and the CPU
0o!f

LinkXLR

How do I figure that out? :B

L10

Quote from: LinkXLR on May 25, 2008, 02:02:54 PM

Start by finding out what board you have.
0o!f

Mystic

Quote from: Kodiack on May 25, 2008, 01:07:26 PM
It's easy, but be sure that you get a good processor and that your motherboard can support it. One thing that's also bad is people judging processors on their clock speed. Take, for example, dual cores. A dual core processor at 1.8 GHz will outperform a 3.0 GHz easily.

Also, be sure to get a Pentium or Core 2 processor if upgrading. Do NOT get a Celeron, or you'll hate yourself for a long time.
Pentium 1 is an upgrade from Celeron.

Psilocybin

Quote from: Lichig0 on May 25, 2008, 03:30:46 PM

you should be able to go to start>run>dxdiag to tell what board you've got. from there, go to the manufacturer's site and look up what FSBs and socket it supports.

LinkXLR

Quote from: Seven on May 25, 2008, 04:54:38 PM

you should be able to go to start>run>dxdiag to tell what board you've got. from there, go to the manufacturer's site and look up what FSBs and socket it supports.
I'm using Vista.

L10

Quote from: LinkXLR on May 25, 2008, 04:59:09 PM

I'm using Vista.
I might not use windows but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't change that much
0o!f

Psilocybin

Quote from: LinkXLR on May 25, 2008, 04:59:09 PM

I'm using Vista.
should work the same. or winkey+R and then type dxdiag.(or type dxdiag in the Windows Vista start menu search bar)
If not, tell me your computer manufacturer, and the model.