Previous topic - Next topic

Which is better?

GitS
4 (100%)
The Matrix
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Commander Awesome

For those who don't know, Ghost in the Shell is an Anime franchise set in the future, fairly Cyberpunk-ish. The series has two seasons of anime, about two movies, etc. It also inspired the Matrix, and also has a hint of Blade Runner in thar.

As for the Matrix... If you don't know what that is, you're a lost cause. GO WATCH SOME MOVIES DAMMIT.

えっちーせんぱい

GitS because I like animated things more than anything else, usually.

Commander Awesome

Rosti LFC

I don't quite get how GitS inspired The Matrix. It inspired a few elements, like the code, but generally I don't think the film copies it that much.

I'd say GitS, simply because there's more. The Matrix is one amazing film, but the sequels were a bit meh. GitS has a good film, good manga, and two good TV series. The film sequels are just confusing as hell (or at least, moreso than the rest of the stuff).

Both have Official Soundtracks to die for.

えっちーせんぱい

Quote from: Zeldafan556 on October 08, 2007, 03:43:56 PM
Quote from: Blaziken on October 08, 2007, 03:42:55 PM
GitS because I like animated things more than anything else, usually.
Hm.
Wiki.
What are you point at? >.>

I've seen the anime, I know how it goes >_>

Commander Awesome

Quote from: Rosti LFC on October 08, 2007, 03:46:45 PM
I don't quite get how GitS inspired The Matrix. It inspired a few elements, like the code, but generally I don't think the film copies it that much.

I'd say GitS, simply because there's more. The Matrix is one amazing film, but the sequels were a bit meh. GitS has a good film, good manga, and two good TV series. The film sequels are just confusing as hell (or at least, moreso than the rest of the stuff).

Both have Official Soundtracks to die for.
The directors have admited to being influenced by it, rather than inspired. That's usually enough for most. But I agree, they're more differnt than alike.

Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence are in their own part of the storyline. The third, and the TV series, have little to do with them.

Rosti LFC

Quote from: Zeldafan556 on October 08, 2007, 03:49:09 PM
Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence are in their own part of the storyline. The third, and the TV series, have little to do with them.
I know. I've watched them all, (near enough) and read the first two mangas.

Like The Matrix, most of them invoke thoughts along the lines of "What the hell?!" when you first watch them, but with all except for Innocence and the second manga, I managed to understand it after a second run.

Zovistograt

"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

えっちーせんぱい

Hiei

Zovistograt

Quote from: Hiei on October 08, 2007, 04:05:33 PM
Quote from: Zovistograt on October 08, 2007, 04:03:56 PM
Is Ghost in the Shell a comedy?

hay i heard the pope is baptist
ok I get it

But if it were, it would be a must-watch for me :O
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Commander Awesome

If Comedy was a the center of the universe, GitS would be the star it's farthest from.

Avion-Finch

wait....The matrix was inspired from Ghost in the shell?

Brawl FC 1504-5840-0611 name Avion, mains below(as of now)

Zovistograt

Quote from: Zeldafan556 on October 08, 2007, 04:15:31 PM
If Comedy was a the center of the universe, GitS would be the star it's farthest from.
this must be one serious anime to make you ppl drive the point into the ground like this :O

Commander Awesome

Quote from: Avion-Finch on October 08, 2007, 04:18:08 PM
wait....The matrix was inspired from Ghost in the shell?
Yep.

From Wiki:

The Matrix, a 1999 sci-fi action movie, contains imagery strongly influenced by Ghost in the Shell (as well as other anime). For example, the Matrix digital rain (the falling patterns of green text that represent the code of the Matrix) resembles the opening of the first 1995 Ghost in the Shell film. During the opening scene in which Trinity flees the Agents, the shot of the Agent landing on the roof is almost identical to a shot of Kusanagi during the pursuit of the first 'puppet' in the first film. [1] Also, the shot in which the first puppet is fleeing Batou in the market in the first Ghost in the Shell film and a similar scene where Neo is fleeing a trio of the Agents in a real life market are linked by exploding watermelons and terrified civilians amongst crossfire (although Neo is not harmed). The famous lobby shootout features Neo and Trinity taking cover behind stone pillars, just as Kusanagi does during the battle with a tank. There is also a clear relation between the conception of the Matrix and the cybernetically enhanced brains of Ghost in the Shell. There are similarities between the plots of both movies. In the Ghost in the Shell film, Kusanagi is first searching for the Puppet Master to arrest him, while in the end of the movie, it turns out that the Puppet Master was looking for Kusanagi to merge with her. In The Matrix, Neo is first searching for Morpheus. When Neo finally finds Morpheus, Morpheus states that he was searching his entire life for 'The One' (Neo). Both series draw themes and archetypes from William Gibson's book Neuromancer and some of his other short stories.

The Wachowski brothers, makers of the Matrix trilogy, acknowledged the influence of Ghost in the Shell in an interview.[2] Producer Joel Silver also admitted in an interview on the Animatrix DVD that he was shown the Ghost in the Shell movie during a pitch from the Wachowski brothers to indicate the style and look of the film they wanted for The Matrix.

The videogame Oni by Bungie Software was inspired by Ghost in the Shell and shares a number of similarities, especially the main character, Konoko. Deus Ex is not as tightly coupled, but shares the concept of merging human and artificial minds, along with weapons and technologies somewhat similar to those in the Ghost in the Shell universe. Although not part of the official Deus Ex canon, a fan-created mod called Deus Ex: Zodiac has a scenario where the player helps a version of Motoko merge with the Puppet Master. It is also notable that the Gunther Hermann character looks very similar to Ghost in the Shell's Batou, likely a reference.

Zovi: That's not to say that there aren't comedic elements, it's just not very prominent. The Tatchikoma's pursuit for understanding in particular.